WnSoft Forums

Size for tv

targa912

Ok, made my slide show. Used 1024x768 px. Worked great for the computer. Made a dvd with Builder, which was a breeze. On my tv it's cropping. So what did I do wrong or what should I do different. Should I be making one size for the computer and one size for tv? I am showing it on an older 27" tv. Not Hd or anything fancy. I'm confused again. Thanks!!

Bob Walden

What you need to do is make a black PNG mask which has a clear area around 50 pixels smaller than your 1024x768 images and superimpose that on all images in the show. Having done that, you can resize all images to fit inside the mask.

When you are making your DVD or ISO file you can then view the TV Safe zone to make sure that the mask is the same size as the dark area. If all is well continue to burn.

There is probably a different/better way to do this but this one works.

DaveG

When you are making your DVD or ISO file you can then view the TV Safe zone
Not sure how to do that. I am using PTE5 Video Builder.
Try making your slide show with the mode setting in the Objects and animation screen set to cover slide.
I don't see a difference. Tried a small test and it still crops too much.

Not sure how to do that. I am using PTE5 Video Builder.

I don't see a difference. Tried a small test and it still crops too much.

Bob, I have just done several shows exactly as you describe. The trick is to go into the "Project Options" and click on the "Screen" tab. Then go down to the "Additional Options (scroll down to view)" and set it to 90% of the slide to show main images. This works fine for me with 1024 x 768 sized slides. Also be sure to click the "Set for existing slides" button just below the percentage box (not the one above) to apply that parameter to all existing slides.

If you are doing any animations, you will want to click the "Tools" button at the bottom of the O&A window and be sure that "Show Safe TV Zone" is checked. While this checkmark doesn't actually do anything to resize your slides or the final output, it does put a purple border around the O&A window which shows you what will actually be cut off. That way, if you add text or other objects, you can be sure to keep them inside the purple border. You can also experiment with the 90% amount, but a couple of us fiddled with it a while back and that number seemed to be about optimum.

Let us know if that works for you.

Bob,

Should I be making one size for the computer and one size for tv?

For best image display and viewing I suggest ... yes. Images for DVD are best resized to the ratio of the intented DVD output ratio.

On my tv it's cropping. So what did I do wrong or what should I do different.

Its normal for TVs to overscan ... therefore up to 10% of the image will be lost from all four sides. All TVs do not overscan the same ... so the cropping effect can be different from TV to TV. (TVs will not display all of the image even though there is more image available.) This is the cropping you are seeing. To avoid this cropping effect ... follow the advice in the above post.

I recently happened upon this Image Cropper tool for DVD (PAL or NTSC) production. It can even add a Safe Zone Area (adjustable) to your image so none of your image will be lost off the edge of a normal TV screen. Simple and easy to use ... best of all its free and requires no installation ! It may just solve your DVD image confusion.

Image Cropper

http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/crop.htm