WnSoft Forums

Problems with .png files

fh1805

Peter,

I just published updated version 5.04 (October 12, 2007):

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/apr-deluxe.zip (4 MB)

It will fix this problem with 8-bit grayscale PNG images with alpha.

The only moment. Because you already used these grayscale PNG images in the program, PicturesToExe added it to internal cache of converted PNG images and the problem still will exists.

Solutions:

- Please move this grayscale PNG images to another folder.

- Or rename grayscale PNG image.

- Or close PicturesToExe 5.04, find the next folder and delete all files in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PicturesToExe\Versions\5.0\ConvertedImages\

Igor/Ken,

I found where Vista had hidden the ConvertedImages folder and deleted the entries for the image files that had been causing problems. I have now installed v5.04 and re-run the tests that are described in posts above. All works fine now.

Many thanks once again, Igor, for the excellent and incredibly fast response to this problem. I don't know of any other software company that would issue a new release just to address one fault reported by one individual.

You and your team are absolutely fantastic.

Sorry, Ken, should have thought to do that without being prompted.

The files were found by running an Advanced Search in Vista looking for "ConvertedImages" and with "Include non-indexed, hidden and system files" ticked. They are in the hidden folder:

C:\Program Data\PicturesToExe\Versions\5.0\

Hi Ken,

Yes, I'm aware that with Systems Administrator powers under Windows XP there are such options. I used them occasionally on my laptop under XP. Vista is a whole new (and frequently frustrating) ball game.

I'm the only defined user of my Vista PC and so I have System Administrator rights defined. But Vista, in its infinite wisdom, takes most of those away from me to protect my system from my own stupid actions. When I need them it begrudgingly gives them to me. First a pop-up asking me to confirm that I do want them and that it was me who asked for them. Followed by a second pop-up asking me to confirm that I really, really do want them.

It seems to me that Microsoft have, in Vista, gone overboard with their solutions to the various "security" concerns.

I have not yet found a way on Vista to have Windows Explorer show me the hidden and system files and folders. But I'm not really bothered since I know that the number of occasions when I would like to see them is probably going to be counted on the fingers of one hand. And I now know that I can find them using the Advanced Search option.