WnSoft Forums

User controle for sound

LCraker

Lee

PTE has no user settings to adjust the sound volume. I personally dont like some programs that make this adjustment possible ... because when the SHOW is over ... they dont reset the sound volume back ( and then one wonders what is wrong :D )

Leif :

Turn down the volume!?!?!?!

A statement quite brief and quite effective ! :D

.. but it does the job correctly.

I for one would like to have the ability to mute the sound, I have to make two shows every time I use PTE so I don't bore my customers to death with the music. Yes, I know you can turn the sound down, but simply pressing the m key to mute and then when the program ends it would reset automatically.

The last program I used before this had that ability, but lacked everything else :D so you can't have it all ways :D

What do other people think?

Lee,

I have a small utility which I made for myself and maybe it can help. It is a small window with volume slider which you move by mouse. I call it from PTE by using "Run application or open file" action. It stays over the show and you can control volume as you like. You can then minimize it (if your show is not full screen) or close it. When you close it it brings up the volume to maximum, so it must stay minimize till end of show.

If you like to try it (or anyone else) I can send it to you. It was not published anywhere.

Granot

If Granot's app doesn't solve the issue, here's another way have a MUTE function in your P2E shows:

Go to this site and click the link to "Mute" freeware. Then click "Download" when the page appears.

Click here to go to PC World download page

The application Mute.exe is about 318KB in size and is VERY simple. It mutes sound when you run it. Then it restores sound to previous volume level when you run it again. It simply toggles sound on/off. Also check out freeware "SetVol" while you are there. With this application you can make P2E shows that have buttons to increase and decrease sound volume, directly from show. Reply if you need help with SetVol.exe since it is a little different than the Mute.exe application.

To prepare your unsynchronized shows to use Mute.exe do this:

1. Put a Button, Hyperlink or clickable graphic or picture in your HOME slide (#1) with the object editor in PTE.

2. In the object editor, select the new object from step 1 and click "Properties".

3. Under "Action on mouse click" select "Run application or open file..."

4. This is important: Under "Enter program name" click in the one-line window for name and type Mute.exe

It is important that you do not specify a drive or folder, and that you do not use quotes or apostrophes.

5. Click OK, OK and make your show. Be sure to save to your .pte file after making this change.

To prepare your CDs with mutable shows do this:

1. Place both showfile(s) and the Mute.exe freeware application in the same folder on CD. This works if show and Mute.exe are on hard drive too. You do not have to use the CD root (top) folder. Your choice.

To use the MUTE function when playing shows that do not have synchronized sound:

1. Just click on the button, link or picture that you defined to run Mute.exe and sound stops. Click on it again and sound resumes. If you have placed this link in screen 1 (home screen, #1) as suggested then you can press the "Home" keyboard key at any time to get back to this muting control.

For your synchronized shows the clickable buttons, hyperlinks and pictures are disabled and will not work. To have a mute function do the following:

1. Create a special, one-slide intro show that is called by Autorun.inf file on CD.

2. In that intro show place the mute button, link or picture using object editor. Code as before.

3. Add a button, link or picture that is coded to run your show file, likewise without drive or folder under "Enter program name". Only in this case you can choose "Run application and exit" if you do not want to return to the intro show after main show completes. Note that you must not have music in the intro show if it is to stay running. That show's music will not stop when second show starts.

4. Put your show .EXE file(s), the intro show .EXE file and Mute.exe application all in same folder on CD (works from hard drive too). If you always use the same showfile name then the intro show does not have to be re-created. Else you have to update it only for new show file name.

5. TO USE: When you load CD the intro show starts. Choose whether to mute sound and click the button to start the big show. To toggle between intro show (if you don't exit it) and main show just hold down ALT key, press and release TAB key, and release ALT key. This toggles between most recently current two tasks (an all-Windows versions feature), allowing sound mute control access.

DONE

Bill,

You are a wealth of information! Amazing what is available on the net these days.

By the way, what version of Windows did you try it on? I get an error message, "mixerGetLineInfo() failed", when I try to run it under Win Me. Sounds like a function call in a C++ program not compatible with all versions of windows. It works fine under Win XP.

Granot's app sounds good, too, but for a slide show you really need to be able to remove it from the screen once it has been activated.

AL

but for a slide show you really need to be able to remove it from the screen once it has been activated

I was not so clear. You can minimize the utility and it stay minimized but if you in full screen you cant see it. I can make it anyway you like: Mute sound and exit (which is not so good since user will have to bring back the sound by himself) or as it is now, with a slider, so you have full controll over sound and can mute it if you like. When you exit the utility it will bring back your volume to maximum so user will not find himself with no sound and wonder what happened.

I hope some members like to try it so I can get back their feedback and make it according to needs.

As I said about few of my utilities, when Igor will add the feature he promised, those utilities, including this one, will do a much better job after I'll make some changes.

Hi, Granot,

I had the impression from reading the description that it stayed on-screen. (it pays to try it out before one puts one's foot in one's mouth! At least to read the fine print! :D ) Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Thanks Al and Granot; Sorry about the WinME error Al. Compatibility list includes ME, but not so I guess:

SetVol

Author: Christian Klukas

Version:1.1.0.12

File Size:340KB

Price:Free

Operating System(s):Windows 9.x, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows NT

Downloads:2398

I went to Christian Klukas' original web page and found no updates or other info. His new web page is not fully responsive on the server right now: Christian Klukas' new web page

So we know the Mute.exe and Setvol.exe utilities are compatible on Win98/SE and WinXP, but not WinME so far. Both Mute.exe and Setvol.exe work fine for me on Win98/SE. I have three buttons that work fine in my show: Volume UP, Volume Down, and Mute/Un-Mute. It's a handy set.

I wish to thank you Granot for your alternative volume slider utility. I built it into a test show and evaluated it. Here are my findings for Granot's volume slider utility, tested on Win98/SE:

1. Size is small as Granot says, so you can leave it on screen if you want, and move it as you wish.

2. Starting position at application load is always centered on screen.

3. Red LED-like graphic is actually a nice "Help" screen button.

4. This utiliity is ALWAYS ON TOP when not minimized, as designed. This is very handy in that clicking on buttons in show will not make the volume slider disappear.

5. Since a "Minimize" button is provided you can remove it from your full-screen picture without closing it.

6. You can restore the slider from the taskbar or by using the ALT-TAB key sequence, etc.

7. Control feel is nice, with infinite volume resolution and 0-100% range.

8. Windows' volume slider is not linked, in that if you change the Windows slider, Granot's slider stays at current visible slider setting, even though volume is changing. If you click on Granot's slider the volume returns to his app's setting immediately. This is a characteristic that is really of no consequence or problem.

9. To Mute sound you simply slide the volume control to zero. Later you can slide it back up.

10. The feature that activates intentionally to unmute sound upon exit goes to 100% (max) volume.

The max volume upon exit causes my speakers to blast away. I would prefer that the volume level that is in use at time of volume slider application load is "remembered" for return to this level at slider application exit. Granot, would this be very difficult to do? Thanks for checking!

By comparison, the Mute.exe and Setvol.exe utilities do not have any "screen graphics" visible. They just modify the volume upon activation by a button in show. Granot's utility has the advantage that if you start it prior to starting a synchronized show, it is usable and on top of show, synchronized or not. No utility can be started from any buttons in a synchronized show, since buttons and linking are disabled. I would like it if Igor gave us the often-requested feature of "Action upon play of a given slide" (no click needed). Especially if Igor provides this feature in synchronized shows, we could activate volume controls and many other things in otherwise uncontrollable shows.

An all-thumbs basic user having to figure out how to move Granot's slider, and anyone having their speakers blasted are the only drawbacks keeping Granot's utility from being my ideal choice. If sound could restore upon exit to original volume and we could specify slider screen position the way PTE permits for its Navigation bar, Granot's utility would be a perfect choice for ALL shows.

Thanks everyone - this has been a very useful topic for me, and I hope also for many others. We haven't heard from Lee (LCraker), who created this topic. Do you have any feedback on this Lee?

think(box)

Many thanks for your profound overview of "Volume Slider". I hope you will find the time to make such good work on some other utilities.

I would prefer that the volume level that is in use at time of volume slider application load is "remembered" for return to this level at slider application exit.

I can make it return to 70% or any other number. I will check if I can make it remember the starting point. Do you think 70 % will be ok for now ?

I would like it if Igor gave us the often-requested feature of "Action upon play of a given slide" (no click needed).

This is the special feature I asked Igor many times. He promised. Well, we are still waiting. This feature will help not only on this utility but on many of my other utilities. Igor, where are you ?!

I uploaded the new version which will restore volume to 70 %. As for restoring to original settings, if I'll find how to do it, I'll make it.

Thanks again for all your very interesting information on this forum.

Granot

Boxing,

Would you also be able to add keyboard control.

Where we could assign keys of our choice to turn up or down

the volume. Or Mute. This way we could run it in our system

tray and we might not have to have it on the screen to

turn up or down the volume?

Just a thought.

cc

ccmanz

Humm.., someone want to make my life more confused. Here is what I think:

I guess something of this kind can be done but I really can't understand the benefit of it. The original idea was to let user have the ability to mute the sound, which I also can't understand why, unless your music is so bad that user can't survive hearing it.

Anyway, I guess user will not spend his time playing with the sound while enjoying the presentation (again, unless the presentation is so boring). User probably will only adjust the volume to his liking and then minimize the very small window of "VolumeSlider" or move it to top corner (in case he fall in love with the small window and want to watch it with one eye, while the other follows the slideshow).

If you can see your system tray while show is running, you probably see your taskbar too, so what is the difference ? As for keyboard control, why it is better then slider ?

If I didn't understand exactly what you mean, please pardon me and give more details.

Boxing

Well I looked and found a program that already does this.

http://www.webattack.com/get/soundcontrol.shtml

My idea is to use this on my laptop, It has volume up button

but no volume down. And I don't like not being able to

turn down the volume with the keyboard when I am turning

it up and I go a little too far.

When I was reading about the volume control I just thought

it would be nice to be able to use the keyboard.

So I went looking at other programs that are out there.

Thanks.

cc

ccmanz

I am sitting now on your request but still have some problems. Maybe I will be able to make it at the end.

Can you please tell me why keyboards control is better ?

I know "soundControl" but I think it has too big window for our purpose, to use on presentations sounds.

thanks

Thanks Granot and cc! I have downloaded both Granot's 70% volume slider and cc's idea and studied them.

Granot, this :-) is the mark of a person who truly loves their work: :P

User probably will only adjust the volume to his liking and then minimize the very small window of "VolumeSlider" or move it to top corner (in case he fall in love with the small window and want to watch it with one eye, while the other follows the slideshow).

Granot's utility #20, now with 70% volume at exit: Works great. Volume jumps to 50% when I start the tool, and jumps to 70% upon exit. This is much better - thank you! If you find a way to remember original setting at load time that will still be preference, but 70% is a great improvement. Any thoughts on predetermined screen position at startup? I would like to mention that P2E does not support parameter passing when you specify a .EXE file as a "Run application or open file" action, so using a parameter-based mechanism is not preferable. A .INI file with percentage screen coordinates is my preference. Using an origin of top-left screen corner as Igor does in P2E, if I specify position=100,0 in VolumeSlider.ini for x and y position the volume slider would appear at top-right of screen. The .INI file should simply be located in same folder where VolumeSlider.exe file was started, for best convenience. This .INI file should be optional, with screen center default when there is no .INI file. One other note: Could the .INI file also accept a HOT KEY definition to permit MUTE toggle function for when show viewer has to answer a phone call? The sound control from cc can do things like muting sound if you just press and release the ALT key or CTRL key. This would be great in VolumeSlider.exe, through the .INI file where the MUTE HOT KEY is specified.

And cc, you have found a nice, hotkey-based control - thanks!: This is great for showmakers and many others. The only "all show" drawback is that this is an installed application, so I can not use it for all shows like Granot's VolumeSlider.

Granot - you said you were puzzled by this:

I for one would like to have the ability to mute the sound, I have to make two shows every time I use PTE so I don't bore my customers to death with the music. Yes, I know you can turn the sound down, but simply pressing the m key to mute and then when the program ends it would reset automatically.

The last program I used before this had that ability, but lacked everything else :P so you can't have it all ways  :D

What do other people think?

Gwhite, I think I see the reason you in particular want a MUTE key. When you go through the show subsequent times with a customer to select photos (e.g.) and want to say something, you have to temporarily MUTE, or better - temporarily LOWER the volume so you can hear each other. Your solution so far is to just make a muted show.

Granot, this sounds very handy for a common situation, where someone watching wants to say something and needs to reduce sound temporarily. Could we have two HOT KEYs? E.g. press CTRL to temporarily bring volume to 0.1 times current setting (toggle back to previous volume level set by VolumeSlider.exe), and ALT to temporarily MUTE sound (toggle back to previous volume level set by VolumeSlider.exe)?

CC, Bill,

I will reply step by step since my problem is that I forget what I read after few lines. So I will write few lines, go back to your long reply, and return here to edit.

First, all members must know how important is your feedback. The restore to 70% was a good suggestion.

screen position

Can be done. No need for ini. But do you think such a small window on left top will be ok ?

HOT KEY

HOT KEY definition to permit MUTE toggle function for when show viewer has to answer a phone call?

Ok, now I understand why CC requested the Hot Key !

CC, You win !

I will add a Hot Key that will mute the sound in case someone calls. Any preffered key ?

I have a phone call !!!!!

Didn't finished yet my unswer, I'll come back.

So pity this forum don't have Hot Key for sudden phone calls....

And cc, you have found a nice, hotkey-based control - thanks!: This is great for showmakers and many others. The only "all show" drawback is that this is an installed application, so I can not use it for all shows like Granot's VolumeSlider.

This is what happens when you are looking for cheaper then free !

Could we have two HOT KEYs?

....and now you want 2 hot key ????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's possible.

Ok, let me sit on it.

End

Granot - I just detailed the two hotkey version to you in email. Free? I'll pay for the "all bells and whistles" version! If I use this in all shows I would feel guilty for not paying! Ooops - your shareware license should allow me to include this with shows given to others in that case. Thanks!

Thanks for your hard work Boxing.

Sorry I was not able to answer you earlier It seems you

already got your answer and you are looking into some

added options.

For myself I was just wanting to control the sound with

the keyboard. My slides shows are all Sync'd to the song.

So I would not be able to add your Sound control to my shows.

Thanks again Granot

I also would like to thank you for all of your Programs.

I don't use them all of the time.

But when I am looking for a program I

will check your list of "Programs and Utilities"

You have a nice list of useful programs.

Thanks.

Chuck