WnSoft Forums

PTE V5 beta 4 Random closing

stonemason

I have had random closing of PTE5 beta 4 on three seperate occasions now usualy when switching to another open application ie photoshop. I don't think it's a hardware problem as I have 360gb of HDD and 2 gb ram. Tried on my wife's computer and had the same thing happen only this time switching to a music editor. Operating system on both is XP pro. Anyone else had anything like this happen?

Regards

Geoff

Geoff,

1. Do you see some kind of error message before closing?

2. How easily you can reproduce this problem again?

3. Does it happebs with VideoBuilder or only with main window of PicturesToExe?

4. What exact window of PicturesToExe was opened before this problem? Main window, Objects and animation, Timeline window.

5. How do you switch to another application? By pressing of Alt-Tab, or clicking to application title in the Taskbar?

Hi Igor

1. No error message just disappears from taskbar while the second app is open

2. Not been able to reproduce the problem, it has happened 4 times since beta 4 was released

3. It has happened in the main window of PTE I have not used the new video builder as yet

4. Application switching is by clicking application title on the task bar.

Regards

Geoff

Geoff,

By any chance did you have your Web Browser (open) active in the Taskbar ?

Many times I have had a similar problem like yours with the Browser open in the

Taskbar.

When going from an (open) Program-Exe to another application IE6 closes the

open Program...I have never figured out why it does this !

Brian.Conflow.

Hi

Like Stonemason I have experienced random closing of PTE using Beta 1 ! It doesn't happen in V5.04 or good old 4.48 and it happens whether IE6 is open or not.

I used a test project of three Jpegs all the same size, right clicked on the thumbnail and selected "open picture".

Photoshop opens and displays the chosen pic (PTE remains available on the taskbar). I then picked an adjustment to apply

and then ran it (PTE still available). Pressed save and PTE suddenly disappears from taskbar and closes.

The weird thing is that it doesn't happen on every pic

Yours puzzled

MickyP

Can I join the party.

I am now experiencing the loss of PTE in BETA 4, never happened to me in other version. It happens when I create a new slideshow with 'Save As', the slideshow saves OK, but disappears from the monitor. I now find that it closes to the tray.

Brian,

- Did it happen with PicturesToExe and with other applications?

- Did you have this problem with version 5.0 or 4.48?

Hi Igor,

I don't want to confuse the issue ~ I use Pte 4.48 and other different Exe's.

It happens with Pte4.48 and the Invision-Board and with other "packaged" Exe's.

I use Norton-Executive and IE6-Sp2 and in my case (for some unknown reason)

it only effects those Programs which are "stand-alone" self-executing Exe's.

I don't loose any data nor does the 'switch-off' effect the forced closed Programs.

Personally I think its to do with their "Over-The-Top" Microsoft Security run times

arising from their (imposed) "OTT" Validation Certificates Program.

I appreciate their efforts in making their OP.Systems more secure, but I wish they

would get their act together and quit their "OTT" approach and realise that they

don't control the Worlds PC Industry.They would make more friends if they did that.

Here is an example:-

IE-7 was refusing to run established (Java) 'Data-Calculator Programs' from Philips &

Siemens & Motorola and Linear Technologies despite using the Sun-Java 1.4 Plug-In

which they suggested as they can no longer use the Sun-Java engine.

These people are big,big,big Corporations ~ and what a job I had getting rid of IE-7

and reverting back to IE-6. I still have this (small) problem, but I can live with it....

Hope this helps.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian I had photoshop open when I experianced the closures ( but not a web browser ) it's happened again since my last reply to Igor, but appears not to follow any pattern apart from it seems to happen when PTE is minimised to the task bar. I installed PTE on my wife's computer to eliminate the possibility of the problem being specific to my PC, and is been doing the same thing on hers. I have now uninstalled all but PTE v5 beta 4 from my PC just in case there is a conflict between several different versions. Sorry Igor wish I could give you better diagnostics to work from.

Geoff

I very apologize for this problem! We're working now to find reason of this strange behaviour and fix it. I think crashes of VideoBuilder on pressing Start button - same problem.

Mike,

MickyP,

Please tell me, can you always reproduce this bug?

Brian,

Thanks!

It seems to be two different problems.

Geoff,

Different installed versions of PicturesToExe are fully isolated each from another, because they installed to individual folders and with own configuration and program files. Like self-running EXE file with a slideshow.

:rolleyes:

I very apologize for this problem! We're working now to find reason of this strange behaviour and fix it. I think crashes of VideoBuilder on pressing Start button - same problem.

Mike,

MickyP,

Please tell me, can you always reproduce this bug?

Brian,

Thanks!

It seems to be two different problems.

Geoff,

Different installed versions of PicturesToExe are fully isolated each from another, because they installed to individual folders and with own configuration and program files. Like self-running EXE file with a slideshow.

Igor,

I just remembered something that was 'bugging' me ~ my problem's really started

within the past 3/4 months after we had 3 or 4 Microsoft "Windows Upgrades"

Could there be a possible connection with the PTE problem and those Upgrades ?

If memory serves me correctly we had a few "defective" upgrades within the Year

and there may be a possible link with these somewhere.

It's just a thought !

Brian.Conflow.

:rolleyes:

Igor

I replied yesterday but my posting seems to have disappeared.

Yes I can reproduce this bug in Beta 1.

I again used a three slide test project (all Jpegs, same size) and the same thing happened as described in my first posting, but I noticed that whichever slide I opened first in PS the adjustment was made and saved back into PTE. Whichever slide I opened second in PS saving the adjustment shut PTE down!

MickyP