WnSoft Forums

Why choose pte

Gypsey

I have purchased pte this week, so I am what might be called a new user or novice, and I thought that there may be people who would be interested to know why I went for pte as opposed to ProShow Producer as I spent quite a bit of time investigating the pros and cons.

Not necessarily in order of importance.

1. Initial cost

2. Unlimited free upgrades with pte as compared with only 1 year with psp, as with any computer related product development never seems to end.

3. User forum advice and users guide appears to be more comprehensive with pte

4. I read all the comments that I could find about both products from users and one issue referred to several times was that the quality of the end product was substantially superior with pte. Now this is the sort of thing that is difficult to ascertain prior to purchase even when playing with a trial version.

5. Positive remarks by users about the attitude of the program developers as compared with some fairly negative comments made by users of psp, although they continue to use the program.

6. On the negative side psp looks as though it might be easier to use.

7. I believe that the philosphy of pte developers is to create a program which encourages original thinking in the ceation of slide shows rather than just applying standardized procedures created by someone else.

Like all software you only find out the weaknesses after you have bought it and started using it seriously.

I liked the comment attached to the signature of one of the regular contributors to the forum which says

'There are no foolish questions only fools who don't ask questions.

My next posting will be asking questions and time will tell whether I made the right decision.

Arthur

Welcome to the forum Arthur,

You mention that PTE might be harder to use than ProSho Producer. Can I direct you to the detailed user guide, a copy of which you can download from the Wnsoft web page.

Welcome to the forum Arthur,

You mention that PTE might be harder to use than ProSho Producer. Can I direct you to the detailed user guide, a copy of which you can download from the Wnsoft web page.

Thanks Jeff

I have already downloaded the user guide, in fact I did so before buying the program, it was one of the reasons for choosing pte. I am working through it slowly.

Arthur

I agree with Gypsy's points, with maybe just one tiny exception.

PTE is VERY easy to use for the complete "smartie" if what you want to do is quickly make a really cool , really high quality slide show. Even if you want to tinker with timings and music and transitions, it's still pretty easy for the first time user.

However if you want to make spinning boxes in multiple ayers of different opacity; if you want to tinker with pzm smoothing or linearity; if you want to do amazing tricks like 3d boxes that spin and album pages that turn and and snowglobes and helicoptors with spinning rotors...well then you have to dig in a little deeper. But with PTE you can do all that too. I have PSG and others and nothing comes close to PTE overall. Maybe there is a menu trick here or there that one user prefers over another--but in terms of ease and time and final product--give me PTE!

If users want to make use of the amazing capabilities of PTE, then read the Manual. I HATE manuals, but I have read most of the awesome PTE manual--it really is worth while.

Of course we all have ideas of what we think would be improvements. What amazes me is that often we just ask and then get what we want! So that makes it worth asking, and you can see that a lot of people on this forum have experienced that!

I think the problem is that there are some hugely talented people on this forum. Some of us Smarties (AKA newbie, dummy [i turn out to be and old timer with many Newbie characteristics)]), want a program that works miracles--that does things we can't even imagine. We want to reproduce effects automatically that the hugely talented people imagined and took hours to perform.

I was happy with PTE several years ago. Today I am dancing all over the furniture--PTE is SO MUCH FUN! I actually deleted The Sims (all 9 GB's!) to give myself more time to play with PTE in 2008.

Thank you all for sharing your ideas and talents.

jk

I agree with Gypsy's points, with maybe just one tiny exception.

PTE is VERY easy to use for the complete "smartie" if what you want to do is quickly make a really cool , really high quality slide show. Even if you want to tinker with timings and music and transitions, it's still pretty easy for the first time user.

However if you want to make spinning boxes in multiple ayers of different opacity; if you want to tinker with pzm smoothing or linearity; if you want to do amazing tricks like 3d boxes that spin and album pages that turn and and snowglobes and helicoptors with spinning rotors...well then you have to dig in a little deeper. But with PTE you can do all that too. I have PSG and others and nothing comes close to PTE overall. Maybe there is a menu trick here or there that one user prefers over another--but in terms of ease and time and final product--give me PTE!

If users want to make use of the amazing capabilities of PTE, then read the Manual. I HATE manuals, but I have read most of the awesome PTE manual--it really is worth while.

Of course we all have ideas of what we think would be improvements. What amazes me is that often we just ask and then get what we want! So that makes it worth asking, and you can see that a lot of people on this forum have experienced that!

I think the problem is that there are some hugely talented people on this forum. Some of us Smarties (AKA newbie, dummy [i turn out to be and old timer with many Newbie characteristics)]), want a program that works miracles--that does things we can't even imagine. We want to reproduce effects automatically that the hugely talented people imagined and took hours to perform.

I was happy with PTE several years ago. Today I am dancing all over the furniture--PTE is SO MUCH FUN! I actually deleted The Sims (all 9 GB's!) to give myself more time to play with PTE in 2008.

Thank you all for sharing your ideas and talents.

jk

Thanks for your comments Judy

I am encouraged to think that I have made the right decision.

I can see that to create a run of the mill slide show is pretty straight forward, but one aspires to greater things and only time will tell whether I have the time, patience and ability.

Although it appears from Lin's posting that there are some things that require a graphics program, there seems to plenty of scope in PTE to keep one amused for an extended period of time.

Arthur

Arthur,

You made the right decision!

Please remember the difference between the concepts of "how do I do this" - where "this" may be something like producing a DVD versus "how do I do this with PTE" - where knowledge of the former is required for knowledge of the latter.

There are many - including me - who are here to answer specific questions you may have.

Ray

Arthur,

You made the right decision!

Please remember the difference between the concepts of "how do I do this" - where "this" may be something like producing a DVD versus "how do I do this with PTE" - where knowledge of the former is required for knowledge of the latter.

There are many - including me - who are here to answer specific questions you may have.

Ray

Thanks Ray both for your opinion that I made the right decision and also confirming that there should always be someone around with an answer, especially if the answer is that it is not possible. It is often preferable to find ones own answers to problems, but one the other hand it can save an enormous amount of time to ask an experienced user.

Arthur

I started off with PTE then somehow got sidetracked on to ProShow, I am not sure how this happened. And I got used to ProShow, I liked the insert blank slide, offsetting the audio, the captions. But what has brought me back to PTE? I think the images produced on PTE are better saturated and sharper - that's it.