WnSoft Forums

Theater Curtains

Sergio S

Hi Sergio,

Essentially you have either two curtains which meet in the center, or one curtain which opens in a single direction. Once you have the two PNG files containing the curtains you place them as objects in front of the main scene in the closed position and sized to just cover the stage, etc. What you do next depends on how realistic you want the opening to be.

Essentially you move the two file simultaneously either off the monitor to the left and right or behind an object on either side which exists in a higher layer. If you want realism you can also set the horizontal axis to distort and "compress" to simulate the folds of the curtain becoming compressed.

The essence is that you make a PNG file of the theater with the area for the stage and show transparent. Then you place the theater curtains on either side meeting in the center with whatever it to be revealed on a layer visible through the transparent opening and the curtains on an object layer in front of the subject which shows up in the transparent opening but behind the PNG theater file. Then on the timeline you create keyframes for the curtains and at the appropriate time slide the PNG files of the curtains right and left while distorting the X axis. The net result is that the curtains open and the folds compress. Other variables such as spotlights, music and so on can be programmed appropriately.

Here's a link to an old example Dom and I did about a year ago.

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/theater2.zip

and a link to just the essence to see how it was done - PTE file:

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/theatersample.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Hi

How do you get theater curtains to slide open in a slideshow in v5.1.

I think there was a tutoral posted a few years back.

Sergio

Hi! Sergio,

I to have created an opening curtain effect have a click on the link below and have a look at a demo.

If this is what you are after, please post and say so and I will send you my project files so you can have a look at the construction,

Tom.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1mlxjrfik2y

Hope this link works!!!!!

Hi

How do you get theater curtains to slide open in a slideshow in v5.1.

I think there was a tutoral posted a few years back.

Sergio

Peter Kilminster and I are currently working on a pdf Tutorial that will show you exactly how to create the 'Curtains Opening' effect. Lots of people have asked me if I would create this tutorial because of the popularity of my other pdf's. It is quite easy to do and our tutorial will be available soon.

Ron

Hi Sergio

I have a PTE Theatre Curtain effect Template on my website, free to download.

Hi Mike,

I have just looked at and downloaded some of your templates. I just want to compliment you on the layout/arrangement of that area of your website and the nice demos you have provided for your templates. Good job, and thanks for sharing! Looking forward to playing with the templates when I have a minute.

Hi Sergio,

The best way to learn is to download the PTE file and look at the way it's done. You have separate timelines for each object. Perhaps you may want to start with the basics of pan, zoom and rotate by downloading my AVI tutorial from the Tutorials section. Once you understand how to move one curtain in one direction then its' very easy to see how to move the other in the opposite direction.

You have separate timelines for each object. You create keyframes then size and position the curtain at the beginning with the first keyframe selected and at the time when you want it completely open with the next keyframe selected. During the time between the program creates the intermediate steps. You duplicate the keyframe times for the other side except you drag the other curtain in the opposite direction.

To avoid confusion with too many variables, download the sample I provided on the first response (the second link on the same page) unzip and open the PTE file in PicturesToExe then look at the curtains and check what's happening at each keyframe. I took out everything except the curtains opening so it won't be confusing.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi

Thank you all for all the info.

But I am new to objects & animation so how do I get the curtains to move in both direction ( Left and Right ) at the same time.

Sergio