WnSoft Forums

Off Topic Projection Question

davegee

Could anyone help:

Here's the scenario - Laptop with resolution set to 1024x768 - Projector with maximum resolution of 1400x1050.

When projected, the laptop screen is projected at the full height of the screen.

Where is the interpolation taking place - graphics card or projector?

Hi Dave,

It is my understanding that what goes out the back of the laptop down the 15-D socket to the projector (or down the DVI line if that is what you are using) will be a straight clone of the 1024x768 laptop screen image. Therefore my money is on the projector doing the interpolation.

I'll be watching this thread with interest to see if I'm right - and if not, to learn!

Could anyone help:

Here's the scenario - Laptop with resolution set to 1024x768 - Projector with maximum resolution of 1400x1050.

When projected, the laptop screen is projected at the full height of the screen.

Where is the interpolation taking place - graphics card or projector?

Peter is right, the projector is doing the uprezzing. My setup at the local camera club is a Dell laptop with a 1680*1050 wide screen, and a 1024*768 projector. If the projector is fed with the video card resolution set for screen res., the projector downsizes the images, but they are out of shape due to the different aspect ratio. So I set the screen res of the lappy to 1024*768, and the projector then shows properly.

Since your setup is the inverse, i.e. your projector has more resolution than your laptop, the projector must be uprezzing the images, and since laptop and projector aspect ratios are the same, the image should look ok, maybe not quite sharp.

Can you set the laptop resolution to match the projector?

Colin

1024x768 is 4:3 [ratio]

1440X1050 is 4:3 [ratio]

You should set the res for your audience when you make your PTE show.

If you intend it to be played on a 1024x768 projector - the set PTE to show 1024x768

If you intend it to be played on a 1440x1050 projector - the set PTE to show 1440x1050

However, if you do know that the viewer wlil be using a 1024x768 or a 1440x1050 projector then it doesn't really matter. The 4:3 is the same and it will be scaled up or down.

However, if you do not know what res the viewer may use then it may produce problems. Many users now view in HD, at least 1920x1080, and a show that is not set for full screen will not display properly at this res.

see here for examples

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7949

Hello Mark, you said:

"If you intend it to be played on a 1024x768 projector - the set PTE to show 1024x768"

However, I don't think you can set PtE to show 1024x768, at least I can't find anything in the menu's for a command like that. Maybe you mean to make the pictures 1024x768? Or set the laptopscreen?

gr.

Henri. :rolleyes:

Hello,

I am in the same position as davegee. My notebook (Fujitsu Siemens) has resolution 1024x768, the beamer I sometimes use has 1400x1050. Then I have 3 choises:

1. I just use the notebook monitor;-)

2. I use monitor and beamer at the same time (pressing some F-key, depending on the particular notebook). Then both have 1024x768.

3. I only use the beamer, monitor is switched off (pressing F-key again).

In the 3rd case I can configure the desktop seen via beamer (right mouse-click on desktop > properties > settings) and change the resolution to 1400x1050 (I am lucky that my notebook offers this particular resolution). This may also be good for the graphics system as it only has to produce 1 output instead of 2.

Kind regards

xahu34

Munich

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, what we are talking about here is images and not PTE shows. (I said it was off topic).

For some reason, the Laptop does not allow me to use the Function control to set "Projector only".

The main problem is a rule that insists that there shall be no compression or interpolation of an image anywhere in the computer projector chain. This makes sense because as an author I would not want my images altered any way prior to or during judging.

If anyone out there is using a similar setup - laptop with 1400x1050 projector and has managed to solve the problem of having the laptop at THE SAME RES AS THE PROJECTOR, I would welcome some input. I realise that this is not possible with a laptop whoes max res is 1024x768 so it looks as though a new laptop is required.

Thanks in advance.

DaveG