WnSoft Forums

Adding 2 PTE files together

peterandjean

peterandjean,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to add part of previous PTE file into another PTE file :

Its possible ... Not a easy task for the average user if they are unfamilar of the internal workings of the .pte file.

Check this link:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6983

---------

Also could you add 2 complete PTE files together before saving to DVD :

We'll make possible combining of several projects (slideshows) to one EXE file. It's in our plans. I like this idea. Probably already in 5.1 but most likely in version 5.2

You can use a text editor and...

1. copy/paste/adjust Slide#'s.

2. Set opt_slidescount= to the highest number slide.

This assumes you can figure out the .pte file. It even easy for me so you can do it!

There are some REALLY SMART Programmers on this forum. I wonder how long it will be till someone just makes a little merge program that will do that?

jk

JK and Tom,

It use to be relatively easy in v4 series to add additional slides. V5 series has several new Main - values/parameters that also need to be calculated. These calculations are the opt_synchpos timing of each slide and count totals.

Making a tool to join addittional slides would not be too difficult ... but combining two complete different shows together eludes me in the current file configuration since each show also needs/has its own set of parameters/global values.

Since Igor mentioned this feature is soon to be available ... I didnt see the need of creating such a tool.

I have found that by opening one PTE project and copying slides it is then possible to close that project open another project in the same window and paste the slides into it. I have not tried a large number of slides like a whole slide show but it certainly works witha few.

I also am not able to open 2 PTE windows and copy from one to the other.

Alan

Tom,

I've just run a quick test using PTE v5.10 on Vista Home Premium to combine two sequences into one; and it work fine for me. What I did was:

Opened the <source project>.pte file

Selected the first image

Shift+End to select all images

Right click the last of the selected images and...

Copy Image

In the same instance of PTE...

File...Open...<target project>.pte

First image in <target project> comes up as already selected

Right click on it and...

Paste Image

Slide list now contains all images from both projects

Go to Project Options and add the soundtrack file for <source project> and move it up to first place

Preview

Perfect!!!

In my case, both projects were developed from the same template and were fully customised to their respective soundtracks so the fact that one project had to inherit the Project Options of the other was not a problem for me. The source project was my Mount Grace Priory sequence which I have previously posted to the forum. It contains some PTE v5 animation. This was all preserved across the "combine" operation.

It should be relatively easy to make a simple program that combines multiple .pte files into one file with the .pte variables corrected. I thought the copy and paste between PicturesToExe applications would work, but for some reason it doesn't work for me (I'm using ver. 5.11 on Vista). I have never tested the instructions before so maybe it's something I'm doing wrong. If copy and paste doesn't work for anybody else then I'm willing to make a small visual basic application that accepts drag and drop files (command line arguments) and prompts the user for a new filename. If somebody else writes the program before me that's fine too :) I'm not going to be able to work on it until next weekend (about 4 days from now).

Tom

Hello

Copy and paste does not work for me. I am using PTE 5.1 and windows XP

Jean

Tom,

Copy and paste as described by me above (and by others in their posts in this thread and elsewhere) will give the desired result only if both sequences are based on the same template file. Remember, a sequence can have only one set of "Project Options" settings.

If you have, say, sequence A built based on a 6 second default image duration and a 1000ms Fade transition and sequence B built on a 4 second duration and 1500ms Circle from centre then which is going to become the new "Project Option"?

Clearly, using the technique explained in my post above above it will be the Project Option of the <target project>. The material that is being copied in will have to inherit these project options.

My sequences are all built to the same set of "Project Options" so I can get away with combining using copy and paste. The only extra step I have to do is to Add the music, as I explained in the earlier post.

Tom,

I think that some of the slideshow project options (duration/effects) could be translated into custom slides before being imported into another slideshow. How well that would work is unknown.

This does work well behaved when importing ... use Show next slide after indicated time interval in the Customize slide timing. I used this setting for most slides to produce Pzr 360 templates.

The slide using the above setting is referenced by this parameter ... Pers_EndAction=timer

When slide is using default timing the parameter is ... Pers_EndAction=

Jean,

Is it that the copy and paste isn't copying the slides from one sequence to the other; or is it that after the copy-paste then sequence isn't behaving as you expected it would?

Hi

When I COPY just one slide from PTE and then open another PTE presentation the paste option is greyed out so cannot paste it. I am trying to copy the first slide of a show that has searchlights and writing on and I must be doing something wrong as it does not copy

Jean

Jean,

Please confirm that you are doing exactly as I describe here:

Launch PTE v5.1 from Windows Start Programs

File...Open...<source project>.pte

(N.B. Double-clicking on the <source project>.pte file should have the equivalent effect)

Left Click within the Slide List to select the desired image

Ctrl+C to copy this image to the clipboard

Now, without closing down PTE and from within the PTE window

Left Click on the image before which you want the copied image to be placed

Ctrl+V to insert the copied image from the clipboard

I've just done this test on a single image and it worked OK for me.

Jean,

You must correctly follow the steps as described by Peter in above post.

I believe you may be failing to use File|Open of the 2nd pte file after you copy the slide(s) from 1st pte file. You issue is probably from having both pte files opened at the same time.

Peters sequence states:

Copy Image

Right click on it and...

Paste Image

Hello, Ken

Hawks method works just fine. ;)

Since the new v5.1 now has additional ways to Customize Slide timing settings and older versions do not ... maybe some users older version files slide timings are using the new global timing which is different than what they had previously. I personally have not tested for this possibility.

The v5.1 feature:

+ "Wait for a key press to show next slide" option in Project options available again. You can overwrite global value in a properties of a slide.

Jean,

You must correctly follow the steps as described by Peter in above post.

I believe you may be failing to use File|Open of the 2nd pte file after you copy the slide(s) from 1st pte file. You issue is probably from having both pte files opened at the same time.

Peters sequence states:

Copy Image

Right click on it and...

Paste Image

Hi

Thank you so much for your help. I HAVE NOW SUCCEEDED in copying my searchlight opening sequence (searchlight tut by Ronniebootwest free from his website or PTE downloads) This has saved time as it is added to my envelope tpresentation

Jean