WnSoft Forums

Atomium 2008

CorVdK

Hello to All,

First some history:

Belgium is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the EXPO 58 (from April 17 till October 19, 1958) and the astonishing building that was made for that fair, the Atomium.

On April 17, 1958 King Baudouin officially opened the International Fair of Brussels, Belgium, in which 51 countries were represented over 200 hectares. It was the first official world fair since that of New York in 1939.

In 6 months time 41.452.412 people had visited the fair. In those days 4,5 times the population of Belgium.

The Atomium was designed by the engineer André Waterkeyn, it is a structure that is half way between sculpture and architecture, symbolising an iron of cristal, magnified 165 billion times.

The Atomium, in particular, embodies the audacity of an epoch that seeks to confront the destiny of man with scientific discovery.

The nine large spheres joined by tubes which comprise the Atomium, are arranged in the configuration of a central cubic system. These spheres, with a diameter of 18 metres, were fitted out by the architects André and Jean Polak.

Made entirely of steel clad with aluminium, the structure, at a hight of 102 metres and standing on three enormous bipods, dominates the Heysel plateau.

The Atomium was not intended to survive the Exhibition of 1958. Between 2004 and 2006 the inside and outside of the building were completely renovated.

Its popularity and success ensured its place as a major landmark on the Brussels skyline. © Atomium - SABAM Belgium 2008

About the show:

The show is a cooperation of some members of our photoclub.

The photographs are from Donald Somers a member of our photoclub and a friend of mine.

The music was choosen after some discussion in our club.

I made the synchro with PTE v.5.1.

Download MediaFire: 40,79 MB (sorry, some times it's rather slow)

Time: 6 minutes

We hope you will enjoy the show as much as we did during the make of it.

Greetings,

Cor

Temporary download. Thank you for watching.

Greetings,

Cor

Hi Cor

FANTASTIC show !!!!

Very good pictures , stunning synchronization with the music.

An excellent play around this "monument".

A great pleasure to follow you showing us details of the structure and the inner life of the Atomium.

A big regret... it's much too short :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thank you to you and your friends for this great moment of pleasure.

Patrick

Hello to All,

is a cooperation of some members of my photoclub (A.T.B. photoclub Boom, Antwerp, Belgium).

The digital photographs are from my friend and club member Donald Somers.

The music was choosen after some discussion in the club.

I did the synchro with PTE v.5.1.

Cor

Cor,

Surprise surprise! I almost hit the escape key at the beginning, but the fantastic pictures kept me seated. As the show moved along, I realized that the musical chorography was nothing less than professional. And the pictures, Donald Somers could give us all a class on proper exposure. Very, very nice. This show in my estimation is definitely a cut above.

Well done.

Dave

WOW!!

I agree with all the above comments!! :):)

I too am going to show this to my camera club as an example of the perfect use of the image/sound combination, in other words what a good Audio/Video is. It also displays the wonderful tool that PTE can be/is in the right hands.

Thank-you very much Cor.

Cor

Hello! It sounds like you have made a fine slideshow but sadly I been occupied of late and have missed the chance to download and view.

Is there any chance of posting again or does someone else have a copy they could post?

Would really like to see it!

Kind regards

Andrew

Cor

Thank you very much for posting the show, I watched the show with my biggest critic alongside, my wife! My heart sank when I heard the words "This is the best slide show I have ever seen...it even tops yours honey!"

So a big congratulations. To me this show is really about the skilful and adept way in which the slide changes have been choreographed to the music, it would be fair to say one of the best I have seen. You have really "felt" the music and integrated it with the visuals to get a 1+1=3 result.

Notwithstanding the above I also felt the images were technically and creatively superb.

If I was your only viewer and you were tailoring your show to my 100% satisfaction the only comments I would make is that I felt your show exuded "class" yet a couple of the effects took away from that "classy" effect, namely the opening titles heralding the 50 years and some of the "Cokiness" type filter effects, I personally have never been huge on them but its pretty hard to argue they don't support the whole "atomic" theme.

My final comment is just a tiny observation that a couple of the slide changes had little difference in the subject matter which gave a slight feeling of repetitiveness, now I appreciate that on a structure like this you are going to naturally get repetition but the variation of angles, lenses, time of day and lighting used has given great variety - its just there are a couple of shots seemingly taken from similar angles, with similar lenses, at a similar time of day -these could have been mixed up a little.

So there is the view from a "hardened" slide show enthusiast however please don't forget that my wife thought it was "perfect!"

Thanks again for reposting Cor.

Cheers

Andrew

Hello Andrew and Nicky,

Thank you for watching and your commends.

"... I watched the show with my biggest critic alongside, my wife! My heart sank when I heard the words "This is the best slide show I have ever seen...it even tops yours honey!"

WOW, we even have a fan, we are very honoured. :oB)

OK, back to earth.

... yet a couple of the effects took away from that "classy" effect, namely the opening titles heralding the 50 years and some of the "Cokiness" type filter effects, I personally have never been huge on them but its pretty hard to argue they don't support the whole "atomic" theme.

Didn't you like the lay-out of the opening titles? Do you mean the flashing board around the "50"? The used colour (dye) of the opening titles? The white blinks (lighten figures)? Or all?

If I would remake the show, I would spend more time in Photoshop to make the opening titles look more integrated in the sphere. The figures with a metalic view, more similar to the metal colour of the Atomium. Or with a more gold impression (because of the 50th anniversary).

About the "Cokin" type filter effects: Donald and I have choosen to use some photographs with filters because of the "artificial synchro effect" to the music we looked for.

...its just there are a couple of shots seemingly taken from similar angles, with similar lenses, at a similar time of day -these could have been mixed up a little.

Were we could absolutely improve our show. Also dissolves must fit to show a "third image". On the moment of taking the pictures man must know in what order and sequence these pictures are used (scenario).

So there is the view from a "hardened" slide show enthusiast however please don't forget that my wife thought it was "perfect!"

We don't forget. :wub:

Have a nice day,

Cor

Didn't you like the lay-out of the opening titles? Do you mean the flashing board around the "50"? The used colour (dye) of the opening titles? The white blinks (lighten figures)? Or all?

If I would remake the show, I would spend more time in Photoshop to make the opening titles look more integrated in the sphere. The figures with a metalic view, more similar to the metal colour of the Atomium. Or with a more gold impression (because of the 50th anniversary).

Hi Cor

I played your show again and would say its really the style of the titles and their flashing which don't "fit" well with the rest of the show. I think your idea re more integration with the sphere and a metalic type text would be good. I did like what you did with flashing lights in the rest of the show though. On a second viewing my wife agreed with me too so now you really have to be worried! B)

Great show!

Andrew

Cor,

Thanks for sharing your show with us. I liked it a lot. I thought it a great example of music/image timing.

I hope you have no objection to my showing it at some time in the future to my Camera Club members. We are at present considering various options for a club show to be started during our summer break and I have a building in mind which may feature, as an element of our show, which could benefit from a similar treatment.

First class,

Regards

John

Hello John (JEB),

Thank you for watching. Glad you liked it.

Donald and I have no objection that you show it to your Camera Club members.

We hope they will enjoy it as well.

We are at present considering various options for a club show to be started during our summer break and I have a building in mind which may feature, as an element of our show, which could benefit from a similar treatment.

Glad we could bring some ideas with "Atomium 2008".

Wishing you a lot of inspiration and good luck with the club show.

Cor