WnSoft Forums

Rubik Type Cube

mightec

I have been impressed for sometime by Jean-Pierre Cube and would like to do something very similar, but of my own making. I am looking for a tutorial that would set out the principles of creating the rotating cube, I have tried the Search facility but cannot see anything out there. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I have been impressed for sometime by Jean-Pierre Cube and would like to do something very similar, but of my own making. I am looking for a tutorial that would set out the principles of creating the rotating cube, I have tried the Search facility but cannot see anything out there. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Hi Mike,

Take a look at the cube action offered on Panos' site. It's only $12.99 US and has about 18 different effects. Could be a real timesaver and the result is very elegant.

http://www.panosfx.com/index.php?option=co...9&Itemid=45

I think Dom had a free action to create a 3D book which I suspect could be adapted to making a cube. It is probably posted on his website. And he had a "Rotation" demo and template as well. I would assume they are still out there on his website somewhere.

If you still really want to do it yourself, I had an old tutorial stored away which somebody had posted on dpReview a few years ago. I could find the original illustration photos online, so I sent you a pdf to the "Contact Us" email listed on your website. Let me know if you don't receive it.

Hi Mike,

If you want to make a Rubik Cube in fake 3D (2 axis) like in my rotation demo ( free template available here : http://www.thedom.fr/share/dload.php?actio...amp;file_id=237 ) , Mary is right, it's quite easy.

But if you want to make something like JPD did with his rotating cube (3 axis), I think it's a lot of work !!

Would be curious to see what you (or somebody else) could do in "real" 3D...

Hi Dom

Thanks, have had a look at your Rotating Effect, but its not what I am looking for, I need something more like Jean-Pierre Cube. By the way what do you mean by 'Real 3D', is this the Jean-Pierre Cube effect? Thanks again.

Hi Mike,

Jean-Pierre's cube demo shows all six sides of a cube. This can't be done by simply rotating a cube but must be done with some pretty fancy animation techniques. Essentially you are simulating 3D with 2D objects. It's not simple and perhaps no "templates" presently are available for this animation; at least if there are I'm not aware of any. If you just want to have such a demo on the web, there are numerous Java applets which can do this available. It's "much" easier to do in this way than with PTE. If you do a search on the web for "rotating cube" you will find numerous examples which which you can simply plug in your images and create the effect.

Here is the PTE file JPD posted showing his method for creating this effect:

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/Biblio-cube-1.zip

Lin

Hi Dom

Thanks, have had a look at your Rotating Effect, but its not what I am looking for, I need something more like Jean-Pierre Cube. By the way what do you mean by 'Real 3D', is this the Jean-Pierre Cube effect? Thanks again.

Hello Lin

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, I appreciate the link to JPD's effect. I can see that it is a lot of work, and much beyond my capability. It is a great effect and I have contacted Jean-Pierre on the matter, he has confirmed that I can use his effect within the effect that I am creating, providing I do not offer it for sale. Thanks again for your comments.

Thanks Lin for the link, I did a better one there, with 6 sides, but I think that what want to do Mike is very difficult and am not sure that my templates will help him.

It's not a cube you need but a part (1/3) of cube, it's possible to do but it's the same work than doing a new cube.