WnSoft Forums

The 4.48 Engine in PTE.5.1++

Conflow

Igor and Pte.5xx Users

My experience with Pte.5xxx is limited simply because I use 4.49 dedicated to my particular Work

because it contains certain functionalities which appear to be missing in all versions of Pte.5xxx.

However, due to a variety of recent 'Forum Queries' ~ I need clarification on the following issues:-

1)

Is it possible to 'manually-select' the Pte.4.48/9 Engine assured to be embedded in Pte.5xx Versions ?

2)

Accepting that PZR Functions will NOT be used, will (embedded) Pte.4.48/9 still operate as normal

without loss of its origional functionality ?

Confused at the moment...

Brian.Conflow.

Igor and Pte.5xx Users

My experience with Pte.5xxx is limited simply because I use 4.49 dedicated to my particular Work

because it contains certain functionalities which appear to be missing in all versions of Pte.5xxx.

However, due to a variety of recent 'Forum Queries' ~ I need clarification on the following issues:-

1)

Is it possible to 'manually-select' the Pte.4.48/9 Engine assured to be embedded in Pte.5xx Versions ?

2)

Accepting that PZR Functions will NOT be used, will (embedded) Pte.4.48/9 still operate as normal

without loss of its origional functionality ?

Confused at the moment...

Brian.Conflow.

In Project Options, Screen and desable Hardware Acceleration (D3D). It's not the 4.4 engine but a new engine which, as 4.48 engine, doesn't use the graphic card. The result isn't exactly the same as in 4.48, but not too much different.

Hi Brian,

I expect Lin or somebody more technical than I will jump in here, but I believe the quick answer is that if you use version 5, even without Pan and Zoom and without hardware acceleration enabled, you will still not have some of the functionality available in version 4.4x. If you are dependent upon things such as "transitions from/to the desktop", or running your show at the size you have designed it (not full-screen and not in windowed mode), you will not have those features in v. 5 no matter what. On the other hand, if you want to quickly and easily burn your shows to DVD, easily add titles to your slides and animate them, or use other features of the O&A editor than just P&Z, you should consider v. 5. It's definitely a trade-off, but I suppose that if v. 4.x perfectly meets your needs, you should stay with it.

Perhaps if you list the things that you particuarly depend on in v. 4.x that are not available in newer versions, someone might be able to suggest a workaround that will enable you to upgrade.

Mary, Jean Pierre,

The ability to make a fully-functional "Old-Time Slide Show" is one utility which I use a lot in the course

of my Business ~ particularily for my "Video-Conference" work between Ireland~Spain and Japan where

what Engineers see 'live' in Dublin they see simultaneously 'live' in Spain and Japan.

Pte.4.48/9 gives me the ability to go Forward and Backward and 'Freeze' any Slide for further discussion

with my associates through 'Video-Conferencing' between our respective Countries. I can also choose

between 'Full-Screen Mode' and 'Windowed Mode' [in origional format] and also the ability to jump-out

of the Program ~ run a PDF File ~ return to the jump-point and continue.

Now you understand my recent query about selecting the Pte.4.48/9 Engine within Pte.5xx Program,

but Jean Pierre now advises me that its a different Engine to the 4.48 product entirely ?

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

The features that you describe as being important to you are, I believe, all available in PTEv5. I, too, build manually controlled persentations and can definitely vouch for the following:

- Forward (can be set as a response to either Left-click or Right-click on the mouse or can be called up via the Navigation bar)

- Backward (can be set as a response to either Left-click or Right-click on the mouse or can be called up via the Navigation bar)

- Freeze (can be controlled via the Spacebar or via the Navigation Bar)

- "Jump out" (can be programmed off any slide via the "Action on mouse click" field on the "Common" tab in the "Objects & Animation" window.

The overall "Manual Control" is set in v5.1 and higher by ticking "Wait for a key press or mouse click to show next slide" on the "Main" tab of "Project Options"

The only point I cannot confirm is the point about "Full-screen" mode and "Windowed" mode as I never use anything other than "Fullscreen". But both options are there on the "Screen" tab of "Project Options"

Hope this helps you with your decision making

but Jean Pierre now advises me that its a different Engine to the 4.48 product entirely ?

Yes it's a new engine, but I think you can do with it all what you did with the old one, the only big difference is now you have to choice a format for the screen, and a difference in non-synchronized mode but the result isn't different.

You must have no problem to use it.

Hi Brian,

Sometimes situations occur that, using a application for years, it's necessary to continue your workflow with this version of the application in spite of the fact that new versions show up (mostly improving the same application).

In cases like this, and I had to face it more than once, I have a second partition with the same XP sp2 on the same computer and use this with the old version of that application for the things my work is demanding.

Then I install the new application version on my first partition and enjoy all the benefits now and in the future that clever developers had create for me and you! So my advice is to give a try to work in this way. I use Partition Magic for this purposes.

Henri.. :rolleyes:

Henri,

In the case of Pictures to Exe, a partition is not necessary. You can have multiple versions installed on the same machine and they do not conflict with each other. I have 4.48, 5.1 and the latest 5.4 beta installed and can easily switch between them. In fact, Igor has written the installs such that a new version with a different number (at least in the 5x series) will automatically install in a different subdirectory. So there is no reason you cannot work with both versions as the need arises.

Igor

Many thanks for that confirmation ~ It seems as if there has been a 'misunderstanding'...

Going back to when you were looking for suggestions before you designed Pte.V5xx I thought

you were going to incorporate the "guts" of V4.48 into the V5xx Engine ~ it seems that was

impossible to do ~ I can accept that because you are using a brand new Engine.

So it would appear that V.5.1 simply "emulates" V.4.48 once properly set-up ......

Thats the problem for many 'Business Licence Users' ~ how do we set it up like V4.48/9 and

will this minimise the Memory demands ?

As you know Industrial & Corporate PC.Terminals have limited Memory, just enough to run their

applications, but lately I have found that Pte 5.1 wont run on many of these Corporate Terminals

but in all circumstances Pte4.48/9 runs perfectly.

Problem being that Pte.4.48/9 is no longer available on the 'WnSoft Website'..thats a pity because

it serves a very useful purpose in the 'Business Sectors' and its good Advertising !

Suggestion:-

Put it back on the Website and call it..."PTE Business Basic"

Brian.Conflow.

Correction:

Ken I see it in tiny print on the New Look Website ~ it should be renamed as above..

Brian,

Version 4.49 still available on our website and anyone can download it and buy a license key.

For new version 5.xx we've developed a brand new slideshow's engine which can work in two modes:

- Using hardware acceleration of a video card (for smooth playback of Pan/Zoom effects).

- Or using only CPU for all graphical computations, like v4.xx.

To turn PicturesToExe into the second CPU based mode you have to disable "Use hardware acceleration..." in Main menu | View | Advanced options and in Project options | Screen tab. In this mode PicturesToExe utilizies almost same memory volume as the old version 4.49. All effects (excluding Mosaic with 300x300+ parameters) work with same smoothness as in v4.49. We couldn't realize only "Transition effect from/to desktop" option, because it works not enough well even in 4.49 under Windows Vista.

I think other changes appeared in v5.xx has improved PicturesToExe: Ken Burns effect, Undo/Redo, scalable objects of a slide, creating DVD-Video discs, etc.

To successfully compete on the market, we had to do these changes and improvements.

I admit that we could release two products, but it complicate things, I think.

IGOR,

Many thanks for the fast reply ~ those limitations are more than acceptable

for 'Business-Purposes' and lets hope I can get it up and running on the older

PCs and Corporate PC.Terminals in particular. I will report back to you.

I do also appreciate your Vista Problems, and as you are aware many of the

Industrial & Corporate Authorities and Educational Authorities have flately

refused to impliment Vista and about 70% of 'Small-Business' has done the

same ~ unfortunately the Domestic Consumer has no choice in the matter.

Ireland,England,Denmark,Australia,New Zealand and others and many Universities

have gone that route as have the 'ISO World Standards Authority' on the Vista and

XML Document problems....I wish every Programmer well in this terrible environment.

It was my principal concern that it would not be possible to get Pte.5xx running in

the 'Business-Environment' within the Memory constraints imposed. Thankfully you

have put me straight on those matter and I shall try again.

Brian.Conflow.

PS.

I had sent you a personal PM about this, please ignore that as your reply is above.

Perhaps "Business-Basic" would be a more suitable name for V4.49 ?

Thank You..

To Jean-Pierre, Mary.W, Peter, Den, Henri, Ken and all, and last but not the least Igor

for all your help and suggestions and Igors 'Instructions' concerning "emulating" the 4.48

Program in Pte.V5.1.

All the best from Dublin,

Brian.Conflow.