WnSoft Forums

run time error error

jeffgoodwin

I have been trying to do a dvd burn and it has worked ok until now, at the very end of doing the burn I get a run time error, the disc does not come out of the computer and it has not recorded. About ten minutes ago it worked and now it is not. I am using pictoexe5.03 and Vista home premium.

Jeff,

You might find it worth upgrading to v5.1. This version had a new DVD burning engine. PTE is currently at v5.5 beta 3 (which is very stable code) but it does have a significantly different user interface. If I was in your position I would upgrade first to v5.1 and satisfy myself that this had solved the DVD burn problem and then upgrade to v5.5 and explore the new user interface features.

Jeff,

I may be wrong, but it looks as if you are using 'Nero-Burning Program' because thats what

it does when it encounters something "It can't do"...It locks-up the CD-Burner and the PC

and you are forced to hit the PC.Reset Button. Task-Manager won't release it neither will

Ctrl.Alt.Del nor Alt.F4 ~because the PC has run out of Page-File Memory~it can't close down !

The 'Run-Time' error message can be generated from many sources within the PC but you will

find it was something you done just before the Burn or during the Burn. By any chance did you

change a File-Name or give something an 'Illegal File-Name'...thats usually the cause.

Don't worry if you have to pull the Mains Plug and Restart, but make sure you keep your finger

on the CD-Reject Button during the Start-up ~ once it pops out,close the CD Drawer and all

will be O.K...then unfortunately you have to find out what happened ?

Brian.Conflow.

Jeff

I have experienced something like this and was guided by Igor to another way to create a DVD. Sometimes we can spend half our life trying to find out why our PC will not do what others seem to do with ease. Often a work around is quicker and less stressful and this way worked every time for me.

Details below

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/audiovisual/dvd/dvdprobs.htm

I use the same method as BB.

First create the ISO file - if it is successful go on to burn with (in my case) ROXIO. Just double click on the ISO and it goes straight to the burning dialogue.

If the ISO is not successful then you haven't wasted a DVD.

I have never failed yet using this method with PTE.

DaveG

Dave'

Its obvious that Roxio (which you use) is different to 'Nero-Burning' which can convert

Non-ISO Files to ISO and to be fair it does that 98% of the time successfully.

By the way, have you burnt this as a 'Data-File' (mixed program content) because many

Burners simply lock-up if the wrong Burner-Format is used.

Because CD's are so cheap and if it were you in your situation, I would Burn a re-copy of

any existing CD which you have 'burnt' before ~ at least that points the finger at your

Program OR the Burner itself ~ its worth the 20.Cents to find out and then one can

proceed from there.

It could also be a DRM issue, but enough for now until you do a Re-Test.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Brian,

Not sure which part of your post was directed at me and which part was directed at the original poster.

For my part, simply double clicking on any ISO file brings up the "Burn Image To Disc" dialogue in ROXIO. I put in a suitable blank DVD and click OK to burn - simple as that. Never fails.

DaveG

Dave,

I do apologise ~'mistaken-identity' ~ my reply was directed to Jeff Goodwin but I pushed the wrong Addresso Button.

Strange that he has not responded to any replies posted so far. The other bits were for all to read concerning problems with 'Nero-Burning' quirks !

I appreciate what you said above,sorry about that.

Brian.Conflow.

Not a problem.

I hate it when a person knocks a particular piece of software for personal reasons,

BUT

I have never been able to get consistantly good results with Nero. I was "forced" to use it when in full time employment (before retirement) and thought that it was a bad piece of work. I started using ROXIO and in spite of some of its quirks would not go back to Nero.

DaveG