WnSoft Forums

PTE Mac Version?

Hi Leona,

Save as AVI or MPEG II or put them on DVD - all should work with Mac.

Lin

I've made several slideshows that I would like to email to friends with Macs, but unfortunately they can not view them. Is there any way I can send for their viewing? Thanks, Leona

Hi Leona,

Save as AVI or MPEG II or put them on DVD - all should work with Mac.

Lin

Lin, Thank you for your reply! I don't know if I quite understand how to do this-----I put together a few pictures, then I went under the Video tab and checked create custom AVI video file, then I clicked on Create AVI, and saved it. It is now saved as a pic to exe. project and under properties it states it opens with APR. Is this correct? Can I now email it to my friends with MACs to view? I really appreciate all your help! Leona

Lin, Thank you for your reply! I don't know if I quite understand how to do this-----I put together a few pictures, then I went under the Video tab and checked create custom AVI video file, then I clicked on Create AVI, and saved it. It is now saved as a pic to exe. project and under properties it states it opens with APR. Is this correct? Can I now email it to my friends with MACs to view? I really appreciate all your help! Leona

Hi again, After my last reply, I read Ken's reply on how to make an AVI file and think I completed it correctly. Now my problem is it's way to large to email to my Mac friends. I don't understand Codec, but chose Logitech Video (1420)???. I decreased the size to 300 x 240 FPS=29.7. Is there an easy way to email, I don't want to send dvd's, to my Mac friends and families? I love pte, use it for family pics only and occassionally make a dvd. I really am out of my league here, but sincerely enjoy reading all the info and tips is this forum. Thanks again to all, especially Lin for answering my previous reply. Leona

LEONA

quite a few members use

www.mediafire.com

to up load files to -- at the present time your files will stay there forever barring a massive crash and it is free

max file size is 100mb

you create an account

then put your files in a zip

open mediafire

browse to where your files are

then upload them

when they are uploaded you will get a new window giving you a code name

you copy and paste that code into an email and email it to your friends and they click the code and mediafire opens on their system and the download starts to their system and they save it where they want

if you do a search in the forum for mediafire you will find many instances where members have included their code in the thread

try clicking on the code and see what happens

easier than learning to ride a bike:)

a sample here

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=53383

and here

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=53220

ken

LEONA

quite a few members use

www.mediafire.com

to up load files to -- at the present time your files will stay there forever barring a massive crash and it is free

max file size is 100mb

you create an account

then put your files in a zip

open mediafire

browse to where your files are

then upload them

when they are uploaded you will get a new window giving you a code name

you copy and paste that code into an email and email it to your friends and they click the code and mediafire opens on their system and the download starts to their system and they save it where they want

if you do a search in the forum for mediafire you will find many instances where members have included their code in the thread

try clicking on the code and see what happens

easier than learning to ride a bike:)

a sample here

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=53383

and here

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=53220

ken

Ken, Thanks for the information! I easily was able to watch the Caledonia Canvas show, but was unable to get the Netherlands show! Oh Well, as breathtaking as the show was, I am still unsure how to go about emailing my friends and family with Macs my shows of my beautiful grandchildren with red-eyes and cut off heads (only sometimes!)Seriously, do I still need to make my picture slideshows in AVI to send? I'm very familiar with making the pte file (application) and zipping it! Can I then follow your directions with Mediafire? When I did make my picture show in AVI it wasn't as nice as the normal show I usually send. I sincerely hope my questions are not too elementary! Thanks again for all the "simple steps" you can give me! Leona

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A COMPATIBLE FILE FOR mac - AT PRESENT AN EXE IS NOT

try to make an avi and also a mpeg and put them up to mediafire - send link to macfriends:)

see what they can open

ken

I have another question, and then hopefully I will be ready to TRY! After making a picture show (no Sound) of 12 pictures, using the Logitech codec the size is 205MB ( this is using 300 x 240). I noticed that the fabulous Caledonia Canvas by Phil with multiple pics and sound was only 13.51MB. After reading more tutorials, I think maybe this has to do with the codec??? Which I still don't understand! My drop down list has multiple possibilities of codec: Cinepak Codek by Radius - Microsoft RLE - Microsoft Video 1 - Micro. H.263 - Micro. H.261 and more. Should I be using some

other to compress before I ZIP? Thanks, Leona

Hi Leona,

AVI or MPEG files are huge by comparison with executable code. This is one reason why many prefer executable files. Not only are they (AVI, MPEG's) large, but to equal the executable image quality it's necessary that they be even larger. The differences are highly technical, but to greatly simplify an executable code uses the power of the viewer's computer to create the multiple images necessary to see the animation motion in real time so that only the original images and the code necessary to create the intermediate images and transitions need to be stored in the executable file.

When you create an AVI or MPEG II, etc., each image must be not only rendered (created) but stored because the device (TV, etc.) which the file might be played on is essentially "brain dead" compared to a computer. Though these files can be played on a computer, they are really designed to be used with muiltiple devices which have display power but not "creative" power. This necessitates storing huge amounts of data on the removable media (CD, DVD, BluRay, etc.) so that all the necessary information to display the show is available to the display device which "may" not have the power to interpret code and "create" on the fly the transition images between the original image and the final image in any animation sequence. This then means that the AVI or MPEG file actually stores all these intermediate images and transitions rather than creating them as the slideshow is being displayed. On a typical high quality AVI or MPEG there are between 25 and 29.97 complete images stored for each one second of display time. It's a huge amount of data so storage requirements for displaying a similar slideshow are huge for AVI, DVD, MPEG II, etc., compared to executable files.

The amount of compression does influence the storage requirements indeed but when you highly compress you also loose image quality.

The bottom line is that if the people you send your slideshows to have a PC, it's much better to zip up the executable and use one of the aforementioned services to link them to the download. This results in their seeing a much better rendition of your slideshow. If they have a MacIntosh which doesn't have PC compatibility, then you have no choice other than using some alternative method which will result in either a huge file or a much smaller image and somewhat compromised quality.

My suggestion would be to use a Flash converter and convert an AVI of relatively low compression to Flash which will be much smaller in size but somewhat compromised in quality. Also when creating the AVI don't use the original large photos out of your digital camera. Use Irfanview, etc., to downsample the originals to 800x600, apply about 14% sharpening during the batch conversion and then make your AVI. Things will go much smoother and quicker.

Best regards,

Lin

I have another question, and then hopefully I will be ready to TRY! After making a picture show (no Sound) of 12 pictures, using the Logitech codec the size is 205MB ( this is using 300 x 240). I noticed that the fabulous Caledonia Canvas by Phil with multiple pics and sound was only 13.51MB. After reading more tutorials, I think maybe this has to do with the codec??? Which I still don't understand! My drop down list has multiple possibilities of codec: Cinepak Codek by Radius - Microsoft RLE - Microsoft Video 1 - Micro. H.263 - Micro. H.261 and more. Should I be using some

other to compress before I ZIP? Thanks, Leona