WnSoft Forums

What do you think??

Lin Evans

Some of Microsoft's "brainiac" mathematicians decided to investigate simulation of real rain in a photo. After reading this PDF with page after page of advanced formulae and looking at their results I had to laugh.

Not to make light of their very interesting study, but they "could" have just purchased PTE and photographed some rain drops and created it (png files to make rain) the way I did which to me is much more realistic than their simulations which again, to me, look like a few random lines created in Photoshop. Here's the link for anyone interested. I suspect this mirrors much of our "scientific" approach to issues which are better done by experimentation.....

I think they got off-track on their initial assumptions. They analyzed "videos" of rain. Video cameras do not mirror the human eye in the way rain is perceived because they generally use only about 30 fps and don't have the ability to "stop" action so the video rain appears as elongated lines where actual human observation sees actual drops falling. Bottom line is all the math and science in the world applied to a false premise leads to not a realistic simulation of rain falling but rather a duplication of what can be done with a video camera.

http://research.microsoft.com/~zhoulin/RealTimeRain_MSTR.pdf

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Well, I've seen it all now ~ its true what they say about Abstract Mathematician's ~ they can prove anything

provided its abstract ~ in other words self delusionary. I have never seen such a load of old 'codswallop' and

ther're getting paid for it. Their whole concept of Rainfall shows that they know absolutely nothing about the

science of Fluid Dynamics and liquids in free-fall state. Why they can't simply use a Hi-Speed Camera and

digitise its output and create a Digital Rainfall Model is beyond my simple understanding...How right you are!!

Microsoft is definitely going Micro-Soft...

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Barry,

I quit teaching at the university primarily because of a preponderance of this type "research". Something which could be done by an "average" student in a few hours or for we slower and older folks a day (it took me about five hours including the initial photography) takes weeks or months and exhausts grant money which could be spent for much more useful purposes, but hey that's what makes it so "interesting."

Good luck with that "science of Fluid Dynamics and liquids in free-fall state" course - maybe you'll get a ride into space to test the real "free fall" condition! HA! LOL....

Best regards,

Lin

I have booked myself on a science of Fluid Dynamics and liquids in free-fall state 2 year full time course. I can hardly wait :rolleyes:

I think you both need to get out more :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hope that was a correspondence course Barry, or you will be doing a lot of expensive travelling from OZ in the next 2 years. LOL :lol:

Now I am off to select a nice bottle of red wine to have with our dinner, guess I will be doing some Fluid Dynamics study of my own. :)

Totally agree with you all, thanks Prof Lin. :D

Lin and John,

Not to worry, Barry is practicing to be an 'Aussie' seeing that he's already Poomie bashing

and he's preparing for free-fall all the way down to Australia...Wow, unreal !!

Brian.