WnSoft Forums

Flight Home

dpeterso

Here is a new slideshow capturing my son's maiden flight home in his 1941 Piper Cub. He took me up for some shots of our family farms. I put considerable time in this show, working with the many elements trying to create the sensation of flight. I only had limited success and soon realized that there is only so much you can do with still photographs and eventually have to move to digital video.

I do hope you'll take the time to go up with us. Enjoy the flight and feel free to offer your comments.

Regards,

Dave

http://www.epetersons.com/slideshows/Brian...ome%2803%29.zip

Dave

great show

I can appreciate how much work you went thru - I was up once in a helicopter over Niagara Falls

and

once over our city -in a 4 seater Cessna - shot 35mm and 2 1/4" film with many cameras - no time to put film in :)

real experience, thks for the upload

ken

Dave

Excellent show.

Choise of music vey good and fitted in well to the pics as did the sound effects.

I thought the slight pan/rotate/zoom effects gave a very nice floating feeling as in a small plane (without the bumps!!).

Possible improvement? Try getting the plane shots with a fullcircle propeller movement. It is tricky with the rest of the plane sharp, but it can be done with a slightly lower shutter speed.

The ending gave me a warm glow, but I am a softy anyway!!

Well done.

Boogie

Hello Dave

Superb show.

The slight effect movements suggests very well the flight ! ... a very lucky find !

10/10 for the "live" sounds implemented on the background music.

My only remark is the same as Boogie's : a lower speed shutter would have given a better result on the propeller's disk.

Well done! A source of inspiration !

Patrick

Here is a new slideshow capturing my son's maiden flight home in his 1941 Piper Cub. He took me up for some shots of our family farms. I put considerable time in this show, working with the many elements trying to create the sensation of flight. I only had limited success and soon realized that there is only so much you can do with still photographs and eventually have to move to digital video.

I do hope you'll take the time to go up with us. Enjoy the flight and feel free to offer your comments.

Regards,

Dave

Dave, what a fantastic show....!!! What a fantastic plane....!!! What fantastic farms...!!!

You certainly have this PTE stuff down pat.

Thanks for sharing, Gayland.

Dave - I'll add my applause on this one. Just on personal appeal, this is your best yet (for me.) I understand (have experienced) what you said about starting to do all sorts of magical animation only to reach the realization that it isn't the result or appeal that I envisioned. Then hopefully we back off and realize that the extreme is not always the place we want to be. What I am trying to say is that I think what ever you went through, you ended up with a very good choice of animation. Your blends added to the effectiveness of the animation and the result was very appealing. One (of many) measures of AV success is when a presentation awakens in the viewer their own "similar" experience and they then identify with and enjoy what you are sharing. Your technical skill here allowed you to reach my own, limited but enjoyable, experience in small planes. Specifically flying in some kind of early cub that made me feel that even if the engine failed it could bring me down softly! Good work. And yes, your on-location sound and the background music - perfect fit.

Along with everyone else I must say "what a wonderful show" and I agree I think it is your best yet Dave.

A perfect combination of intelligently used sound effect to add atmosphere, the right choice of music and some wonderful images with careful use of the PZR effects. Yes the prop could be taken with a slower shutter speed and this would be a nice touch, but all is not lost Dave I believe you could create the effect in photoshop if you wish.

Trying to recreate total reality in an AV I think is a lost cause, if we want that we can buy a video camera.

The still image combined with sounds gives an extra dimension to reality that I believe is the spice of our area of the AV spectrum. You have achieved that here very well.

This one will go in my "Other Peoples AVs" folder in the "Best Ones" sub-folder. Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Regards,

Dave

Please accept a belated thank you for all of your comments. They are certainly appreciated.

Dave