WnSoft Forums

DVD burn - Lin & Ken

okcjack

To any member, but especially to Lin and Ken -

Images on TV are larger than screen.

Source jpg images are 1920x1080, which is the pixel size of my 32" HDTV. With aspect ratios of 16:9 set in both PTE and Video Builder, the resulting image on the TV screen is larger than the screen.

I have tested using "fullscreen" and "windowed" modes; "progressive" and "interlaced" styles without much effect. I have even used "windowed" mode with a window smaller than 1920x1080, with no change in results. Also, I have tried a source image of 1280x720 ... same results.

This is driving me nuts. Can either of you or anyone else give me a clue as to what to do?

Oh yes, I doulble checked the User Guide for v. 5.5 and believe that I am doing everything according to the Guide.

Thanking you in advance,

okcjack

How are you displaying the images on the TV? If you are using a DVD player check the settings. If you are using cables from the computer which type are you using?

The aspect ratio is correct from the output of PTE as are the number of pixels so the issues are either in settings or cables in the device which feeds your television.

The only thing which could upset the output is if you are not using "Original" mode. Fit to slide or Cover slide will not give you the correct output for the television so be sure you are using "Original" mode. This won't look correct on the computer unless you have a 16:9 display device. Computer wide screens are usually 16:10 aspect ratio.

Also read this:

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5140690-4.html

Best regards,

Lin

Source jpg images are 1920x1080, which is the pixel size of my 32" HDTV. With aspect ratios of 16:9 set in both PTE and Video Builder, the resulting image on the TV screen is larger than the screen.

I have tested using "fullscreen" and "windowed" modes; "progressive" and "interlaced" styles without much effect. I have even used "windowed" mode with a window smaller than 1920x1080, with no change in results. Also, I have tried a source image of 1280x720 ... same results.

This is driving me nuts. Can either of you or anyone else give me a clue as to what to do?

Oh yes, I doulble checked the User Guide for v. 5.5 and believe that I am doing everything according to the Guide.

Thanking you in advance,

okcjack

Thanking you in advance,

okcjack

A LCD-TV connected as monitor to a PC becomes downscaled to XGA in many cases.

Thanks for the reply, Kin

1. Don't know. This is the first time I have created source images 16:9, 1920x1080 to populate the DVD.

2. Yes

3. Yes, a video captured from my Sony digital video camera (16:9) into Pinnacle Studio. I was able pause the camera and the HDTV on the same frame. It was a video of a soccer match and the frame had chalk lines which enabled me to adequately compare the visible image. They both matched. That was done this morning.

Jack

This seems to be the same problem I faced recently and answered in this thread: http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8492

I had to reduce percentage to get full image on my Pioneer Plasma TV. Originally I reduced to size as shown in TV Safe Area, but have found that I could go slightly larger than that shown (85%) and still fit my TV. It seems to me that the Safe Area is not correct for all TV types, but I maybe (probably) be wrong in that assumption.

Thanks all,

Just took the original 1920x1080 test image and cut a dvd using Pinnacle Studio. It created the same oversize that I experienced with PTE/DVD-builder.

I guess this is pretty complicated as video capture into Pinnacle from a 16:9 camcorder and written to a dvd didn't have the same problem.

Oh well!

Don't forget that when you create a DVD the PTE show is converted to PAL (or NTSC) and then interpolated back up to your TV screen resolution.

In PAL terms that's something like 720x576 (someone will correct if wrong, I'm sure) so your 16:9 image will be downsized to 720 wide and then upsized to 1920 on playback.

The best way to interface between a laptop and a HD TV is via a HDMI/DVI cable - using the D - connector will limit the width of the image.

At least that's my experience with a Sony (HDMI Equipped) laptop and a Sony wide screen HD TV. Doing it this way your 1920x1080 will show full screen in stunning quality.

See: http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....38&hl=daveg

DaveG

Okcjack (Jack)

From Post #1

the resulting image on the TV screen is larger than the screen.

How much larger? - Slightly larger or is there a considerable difference, for instance a slight being the difference with TV safe zone ON or OFF or much greater?

From Post #7

Just took the original 1920x1080 test image and cut a dvd using Pinnacle Studio. It created the same oversize that I experienced with PTE/DVD-builder.

Is it at all possible the ZOOM setting on DVD player is wrong?

----------------------------------

PTE

Images 1920 x 1080

Since the early days of beta testing for DVD, before Video Builder and using Nero to burn I always created an AVI using the “ Custom Setting “ (W) 1920 (H) 1080

Project Options (Screen) set to 16:9 DVD - full screen

Picture to EXE Video Codec.

Also tested images 1024 x 576 with no noticeable quality difference – advantage here was faster encoding.

There maybe other settings but these at the time worked fine for me and I stuck with them.

Are you creating an .AVI?

--------------------------------

These days

Images 1920 x 1080

PTE - All my images are set in O&A – Common - Mode - “ Fit to slide “

We use nothing but Video Builder.

Never create an AVI, just import the .PTE file directly into Video Builder

Video Builder settings 16:9 (NTSC – my zone)

All others are default

Viewing on my 4:3 monitor, yes I have black borders top and bottom which is normal, but correct proportion of image.

I have never viewed on a 16:10 monitor however I would imagine it should show full screen

All my 1920 x 1080 shows are full screen, tested on a 42” / 56” Plasma and 56” LCD TV.

----------------------------------

Mr B (Reg)

From what I have read the average over scan is 5%, and your assumption is correct that it is not the same for all TV’s. It appears Plasma & LCD have even less over scan (1 - 2%).

I also questioned the % to show of main image, but Jack has not indicated how large is larger than screen.

If you want to contact me via PM on this forum or using http://www.peoplesoftheworld.org/contact.jsp I can arrange for you to email me your PTE project and sample files and then help you diagnose/fix the problem.

Ray