WnSoft Forums

Aspect Ratio Questions

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I want to produce a DVD with two shows on the same disc, one 4-3 & one 16-9 to allow the user to chose the ratio to suit their TV. I read the "pinned" article in the Burn DVD section http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/aspect-ratio.htm but it is a little out of date. My TV has an auto ratio selection mode that when I play a DVD produced from a 4-3 show, fills the screen with the bottom line of the text at he bottom of the screen cut off. When I set the ratio selection to manual either 4-3 or 16-9 I get the black borders as shown on the tutorial. Has anyone managed to burn two shows onto one disc in the two formats, if so did you change the basic picture size from 1024x768 when producing the shows.

Another way I've just considered is to copy the shows into my DVD recorder then burn them to one disc in turn, has anyone done this?

Yachtsman1

Eric

did you visit

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/aspect-ratio.htm

and i dont think that even if you had a Nero suite or the like you would be able to do it without some fiddling around -- you would have to make 2 separate shows to the video_ts/audio_ts state -- put them in properly named folders and make a file disc with nero -- you get a lot of warnings but you ignore them and burn to a dvd

no guarantees tho:)

ken

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric

did you visit

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/aspect-ratio.htm

and i dont think that even if you had a Nero suite or the like you would be able to do it without some fiddling around -- you would have to make 2 separate shows to the video_ts/audio_ts state -- put them in properly named folders and make a file disc with nero -- you get a lot of warnings but you ignore them and burn to a dvd

no guarantees tho:)

ken

Hi Ken

That link is the one referred to in my original post. My Panasonic DVD player also copies/burns DVD's, I think the problem will be getting the blank disc to accept the two shows. This section of the forum doesn't have much traffic so I suspect it's not a popular subject.

Regards Eric.

Eric

see my early notes at

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=24927

you may be able to equate some of my values to your file sizes

been a lot of water under the bridge since then but i entered a lot of values when when first started into burning - way before present Video Builder

also

see thread

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...;f=4&t=1350

there is a wealth of info there

ken

I did try this once - years ago - with no success. Now I have different, professional level software and a lot more knowledge. If you want to contact me privately via the forum I'm willing to see if I can make it work now - with your project if you're willing to e-mail it to me.

Ray

Guest Yachtsman1
I did try this once - years ago - with no success. Now I have different, professional level software and a lot more knowledge. If you want to contact me privately via the forum I'm willing to see if I can make it work now - with your project if you're willing to e-mail it to me.

Ray

Hi Ray

Thanks for the offer, I have sent a PM.

Yachtsman1

Hi,

I haven't tried this, but it MIGHT be possible.

The manual for my LCD TV suggests that the scart connections can be used as both input and output.

My TV has HDMI and VGA inputs.

Using one of these it might be possible to input from a laptop to the TV using HDMI/VGA and output from the scart to my HDD Recorder/Burner and record to the HDD. The resulting recordings can then be edited and burned to DVD - as many as will fill the 4.4Gb.

The BIG if is this - does the signal input to the HDMI/VGA input appear at the scart output?

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi,

I haven't tried this, but it MIGHT be possible.

The manual for my LCD TV suggests that the scart connections can be used as both input and output.

My TV has HDMI and VGA inputs.

Using one of these it might be possible to input from a laptop to the TV using HDMI/VGA and output from the scart to my HDD Recorder/Burner and record to the HDD. The resulting recordings can then be edited and burned to DVD - as many as will fill the 4.4Gb.

The BIG if is this - does the signal input to the HDMI/VGA input appear at the scart output?

DaveG

Hi Dave

I think my idea is a little less ambitious, to burn two discs direct from PTE to my laptop DVD recorder, 1 x 4-3 & 1 x 16-9, copy them into my Panasonic DVD recorder player HD then copy them both to one single DVD. When I've got some time I'll give it a try, will have to go through the manual first. If you go to your TV via the VGA connection there wont be any sound. I think :huh:

Yachtsman1

Two thoughts:

If the Panasonic is the same as my Sony you won't be able to "dub" from the PTE DVD to the HDD. You will have to use a second DVD player. This will probably involve a loss in quality because you are entering the analogue domain.

You are probably right about the VGA (same as HDMI) - you would need to use a seperate lead for the audio. No problem.

DaveG

Hi Ray

Thanks for the offer, I have sent a PM.

Yachtsman1

I replied - via PM.

Guest Yachtsman1

Since my last post I have tried copying my PTE produced DVD into my Panasonic DVD recorder/player. It fell at the first fence throwing up an error message saying the "disc was not recordable", I assume this may mean the disc should have been an "RW" disc, it was actually an "R" disc, question is do I buy a few RW discs and try again, or am I p*****g in the wind.

Yachtsman1. :(

I have 2 player/recorders - no hardrive - and with both you have to select the source that you are going to record from

and i have never mastered either to the point that i can put a blank disk in and record - -tho'lately i have had better luck with recording tv shows with my latest Samsung DVD-R160

ken

Hi Ken,

I believe that what Eric is trying to do is record two PTE shows of differing aspect ratios onto his Panasonic HDD Recorder so that he can then record them back onto a single DVD.

I made the point earlier that on my Sony HDD Recorder this is not possible - it is not possible to digitally transfer a computer burnt DVD onto the Hard Drive of my Sony. Only DVDs originally burnt on the Sony can be digitally dubbed. I suspect that the Panasonic is the same.

The only way to do it is via a seperate DVD player in the analogue domain.

Eric has not confirmed that his Panasonic is/isn't a HDD model.

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Dave & Ken

The Panasonic is an HD DVD player recorder. I placed the PTE produced DVD show into the Panasonic machine and went to the copy to HD function, the error message was "disc is not recordable" came up, which made me think an RW disc left open when recording the show may do the trick? The disc plays fine, I have attached the mediafire URL for the manual for the recorder to this post. Unfortunately it is 18mb, but if anyone wants to unravel the conundrum, please feel free.

Yachtsman1

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8ad1243...2db6fb9a8902bda

Eric,

It is Panasonic's way of saying that the dvd was not formatted on a Panasonic machine and is therefore not recordable to the HDD.

All of these machines regardless of make are, to my knowledge, the same.

(This is where Brian steps in to say I'm wrong!).

DaveG

Eric,

I think I have this working now. But I don't think it is exactly what you want. The problem is that I only have one .pte file from you and the project is set up for 4:3 output. So the 16:9 track on the DVD will look exactly the same when played on a 16:9 HD TV as the 4:3 chapter - i.e. with a left and a right black, vertical bar. I could clip it but I don't know how you would want it clipped.

Can you send me a second .pte file that has been set up for 16:9 output?

Ray

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

I think I have this working now. But I don't think it is exactly what you want. The problem is that I only have one .pte file from you and the project is set up for 4:3 output. So the 16:9 track on the DVD will look exactly the same when played on a 16:9 HD TV as the 4:3 chapter - i.e. with a left and a right black, vertical bar. I could clip it but I don't know how you would want it clipped.

Can you send me a second .pte file that has been set up for 16:9 output?

Ray

Hi Ray

My HD TV has an auto aspect ratio setting in addition to being able to set it at 4-3 or 16-9 manually. When I watch a 4-3 PTE produced DVD in auto, it fills the screen but if there is text right at the bottom of a slide, as in a couple of the portrait internet sourced ww2 posters, the bottom line of text is obscured. When I switch off auto aspect ratio and use either 4-3 or 16-9 I get a full picture with black borders of varying sizes.

If I send a second show saved in 16-9 do you need the whole shooting match or just the exe file.

Regards Eric

Hi Ray

My HD TV has an auto aspect ratio setting in addition to being able to set it at 4-3 or 16-9 manually. When I watch a 4-3 PTE produced DVD in auto, it fills the screen but if there is text right at the bottom of a slide, as in a couple of the portrait internet sourced ww2 posters, the bottom line of text is obscured. When I switch off auto aspect ratio and use either 4-3 or 16-9 I get a full picture with black borders of varying sizes.

If I send a second show saved in 16-9 do you need the whole shooting match or just the exe file.

Regards Eric

I would only need the .pte file.

Eric,

I'm not seeing the new .pte file at that link. Can you check that it uploaded successfully?

Ray

Ray

the pte is in a folder in the zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?jlpydeul6ry

ken

Ken,

That .pte file is the one created on September 8 that targets 4:3 output.