WnSoft Forums

American Civil War

Tomuk

Hi! All,

Today I spent a very nice couple of hours Photographing an American Civil War re-enactment (a sequence to follow).

I was amazed a the lengths these dedicated people go to.

I have over 1.5gb of images to mold into a sequence.

They had an encampment with open fires, cooking period food, even the woman folk and children are in costume.

I have provided a taster below, now look out for the show.

post-552-1221935140_thumb.jpg

Tom.

Sorry Folks,

I forgot to post the Soldiers boss......LOL

post-552-1221936117_thumb.jpg

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1
XAVER

if you had been around a few years you would understand the difficulties we have had getting new sections -- Igor is busy enough and you seem to enjoy stirring the pot

ken

Maybe he's a Johnny Reb'

Yachtsman1 ;)

Ken,

Although the expression “to stir the pot” does not belong to my restricted vocabulary, I am rather convinced to know what you mean (by the way, you are a typical representative of those users who normally do not care very much for others not being native English speakers). If it is a problem to open an appropriate section for all odds and ends, we have to live with the situation as it is. What I do not like are situations where people try to brush things under the carpet.

Regards,

Xaver

Munich

By the way: The Munich Oktoberfest 2008 just has started. In which forum shall I make an announcement?

the way: The Munich Oktoberfest 2008 just has started. In which forum shall I make an announcement?

what has this got to do with the forum?

we have the largest Oktoberfest 2008 in North America in Kitchener Ontario Canada

do you want to be advised when it being held

put your announcement in

Tutorials and Articles

and i am not trying to brush things away -- i am telling it as it is

using google

stir the pot =

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/7/messages/204.html

Ken,

You really seem to be intractable (please correct me if this expression does not hit the point), but your arguments cannot convince me. The Oktoberfest, similar to many other things posted here, has nothing to do with PTE. I just mentioned it as a typical example which should be avoided. By the way, I do not like this Munich event very much, and I'll be very happy when all the drunken visitors will be at home again.

Regards,

Xaver

Ich würde mich an dieser Stelle sehr freuen, wenn Sie sich etwas klarer und für einen deutschen Benutzer verständlicher ausdrücken würden.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Xaver Huber,

Müchen

Oberbayern

Deutschland

Er schriebt im Scherz... aber das kann nicht gut auf Deutsch übersetzt werden... nur daß Sie ein bißchen rebellisch sind.

Do you consider this as a disadvantage?

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

I have no opinion about that. I was just trying to explain the context in German.

Today I spent a very nice couple of hours Photographing an American Civil War re-enactment (a sequence to follow).

I was amazed a the lengths these dedicated people go to.

I have over 1.5gb of images to mold into a sequence.

Hi Tom

Interesting portraits !

You had apparently the opportunity to take your shots in good conditions (light, distance, environment) which is not always possible in such demonstrations !

Patrick

Ken,

Although the expression “to stir the pot” does not belong to my restricted vocabulary, I am rather convinced to know what you mean (by the way, you are a typical representative of those users who normally do not care very much for others not being native English speakers). If it is a problem to open an appropriate section for all odds and ends, we have to live with the situation as it is. What I do not like are situations where people try to brush things under the carpet.

Regards,

Xaver

Munich

<snip>

Xaver,

As a New Zealander, with English as my first and only language (apart from some Latin at school about 60 years ago!), I find your English is excellent, concise, and accurate. Of course, some sayings in English may not translate well into other languages, especially when, as in 'stir the pot', the literal words have nothing to do with the meaning of the phrase. An explanation of its meaning can be read here:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/7/messages/204.html

Regards,

Colin

...Of course, some sayings in English may not translate well into other languages, especially when, as in 'stir the pot', the literal words have nothing to do with the meaning of the phrase. An explanation of its meaning can be read here...

Thank you Colin for the explanation,

Deliberately provocative, this may be true for some of my contributions, but (hopefully) not to be regarded as malicious.

Best regards,

Xaver

Hi! Xaver,,

Can we now put this matter to rest?

When it all boils down to it (there’s another one for you) it’s the job of the moderators (of which Ken is one) to decide what posts are appropriate and which are not, they have the power to delete or move posts as they deem fit, they have this power granted to them by Igor because he feel they are responsible enough to manage the forum unsupervised.

Now if the general membership population takes the prerogative from them, were will we be? We will have posts hi jacked just like you hi jacked this post to make your complaint.

What you should have done, if you feel that strongly about the matter, is to contact a moderator by PM, they will consider your points and take any action they think appropriate.

My thanks to Patrick, because he was the only one to reply to my post as expected.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi! Xaver,,

Can we now put this matter to rest?

When it all boils down to it (there’s another one for you) it’s the job of the moderators (of which Ken is one) to decide what posts are appropriate and which are not, they have the power to delete or move posts as they deem fit, they have this power granted to them by Igor because he feel they are responsible enough to manage the forum unsupervised.

Now if the general membership population takes the prerogative from them, were will we be? We will have posts hi jacked just like you hi jacked this post to make your complaint.

What you should have done, if you feel that strongly about the matter, is to contact a moderator by PM, they will consider your points and take any action they think appropriate.

My thanks to Patrick, because he was the only one to reply to my post as expected.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Liked the shot of Lee! however don't agree with Patrick I have similar shots which where taken on what started on a very wet day and then dried up but was very over cast. I am hoping to do ashow using these shots but I am a newbee at PTE and am having problems. So it will be which of us gets finished first and I dont think it will be me looking forward to seeing your show?

Regards

Tom

Hi Tom,

I am hoping to do ashow using these shots but I am a newbee at PTE and am having problems. So it will be which of us gets finished first and I dont think it will be me looking forward to seeing your show?

Regards

Tom

Hi! Tom,

I’m interested to know where you took your shots, I took mine at an event at Tatton Park in Cheshire 20th.Sept this year, and yes it started off with Rain then brightened up with strong sun light, then, for me the quality of light had too much contrast which produced some hard shadows (at these types of events, you can’t be carrying and using reflectors and such can you?) , still with a little help from my software I’ll manage to resurrect most of them, the remainder will make some nice monochrome prints.

As to my sequence I’m going to take my time over it, I have other projects that require my attention first and besides I’m now going to wait for yours so I can steal some of your ideas L.O.L.

Tom.

As to my sequence I’m going to take my time over it, I have other projects that require my attention first and besides I’m now going to wait for yours so I can steal some of your ideas L.O.L.

Tom.

Thats a rotten idea as I haven't been able to get to grips with the program!

Most of the shots where take at The Ulster American Folk Museum last year but I haven't used them

as yet. I did do a very quick one using another program but no thought was put into it as I was wanting

to see what it looked like. I have a rough idea of what I want to acheive but don't know exactly how to go

about it also was toying with the idea to do all the images in a Sepia Tone rather than full colour to give a feel

for the period as photographs would have that effect what do you think

regards

tom

Thats a rotten idea as I haven't been able to get to grips with the program!

regards

tom

Tom,

I was only joking, I wouldn’t dream of stealing your ideas.LOL.

As to my show I have all but completed it, I’m having to take my time constructing the sound track, it gets more complicated each time I work on it, the trouble is, I get fresh ideas as I go along and the whole track has to be re-mixed, Thank god for Audition and project files.

If you would like a preview of my show (a beta version) sent me a personal message that includes your e-mail address.

Tom.

The two portraits you posted Tom were very well done. I am looking forward to your show on the American Civil War re-enactment as this is also a subject I am interested in from an historical point.

The two portraits you posted Tom were very well done. I am looking forward to your show on the American Civil War re-enactment as this is also a subject I am interested in from an historical point.

Hi! John,

As I was telling Tom, the construction of my show is slow going at the moment, I am at the bottom of the learning curve when it comes to building a sound track, I have trouble making seamless joins, levels control and timings, I find it just as difficult as learning photography and Photoshop, both of which I'm also at the bottom of the learning curve.

As soon as I have a semi completed show, I'll post it up and request recommendations for changes from you knowledgeable lot.

Tom.