WnSoft Forums

Using PAN across multiple slides

mfetterhoff

Hello Boardmembers..

I would like to have large translucent letters scrolling across the face of a sequence of slides. Is there a way to do this other than creating the slide sequence within a single animated slide? It very difficult and time consuming to time the slide sequence to music, within the 'Objects and Animation' applet.

..much obliged for any tips.

Not really. There is no way a single text message can span multiple slides unless those slides are objects with a main slide as the master. You can easily do this with keyframing which is what I "think" you are referring to. Put all slides you want to have the text scroll across in the objects list on the Objects and Animations screen then create your own transitions between these objects. It shouldn't be that difficult to do synchronization to music using the timeline, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding your design?

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks..! You understand perfectly. I have completed the sequence and the preview works fine. Unfortunetly, when I playback the entire presentation, it hangs on the slide prior to the animated slide, for several seconds longer than I have it set for. I have checked the keypoints, and they look fine.. nothing overlapping. But I find that if I delete the scrolling text from the animated slide, it plays normal. Im wondering if I have asked too much of the application. I have 30 photos in a single animated slide. perhaps the scrolling text is too much for it to handle?

Hi folks,

Scrolling text across multiple slides is possible using v5.6 (which of course is available only in beta at present).

I've attached a zip of the project so you can study it and see how it can be done. Remember: you must open this project in v5.6 in order for the numbers used to be available. I think the end result might work in any level of v5 provided you make no changes to the project file. And I don't know whether it will work on a monitor other than 1280x1024 which is what I built it and tested it on.

I'd be interested to get some feedback on those points.

The three challenges I had to overcome were:

- creating a long piece of text

- synchronising its position as it crossed from one slide to the next

- getting it to move at the same speed on each of the slides

And the degree of difficulty rises as we work our way down that list. And I approached the problem in that manner - one step at a time.

Creation of long text

I simply placed a text object on the first slide and keyed a long sentence into it. Then I rasterized the text to a png file. Next I deleted the text object from slide1 and added the png file as a child of both slide1 and slide2. That gives the same text on both images. I used the Size/Position... window to set the size of both png file objects to 1536 pixels wide. This value must be the same on both png files to ensure that the zoom level is identical (effectively we're setting the identical font size on both). The actual value is not important. I chose 1536 to try and keep the math simple (it almost worked!)

Animation of slide1

I then set up the pan animation on slide1. That's straightforward enough on a single object. I needed to define the "end pan" keyframe at the end of the transition so that the text kept moving during the transition. I also needed to add a keyframe to the slide object at the beginning of the transition to slide2 so that I could clone this keyframe over to the text child in order to get its precise pan position at the start of slide2. I used the Size/Position... window to make a note of the exact position - to three decimal places.

Animation of slide2

Moving to slide2, I first set the pan parameters I had noted above for the png file into the origin keyframe for the png file on this slide. That ensures that it starts where its predecessor is (i.e. perfect image synchronicity at the transition).

Setting the same speed.

This is where the math really came in. To match speeds we must first place an "end pan" keyframe at the end of the transition into slide3. Next we must calculate how many pixels of pan have taken place on slide1. And then we need to calculate what pan position will have been reached after a second pan of the same duration.

pan distance on slide1 = pan start position - pan end position (the sign of the result is unimportant; it's the actual number we're interested in)

end pan position on slide2 = start pan position on slide2 - pan distance on slide1 (or plus the pan distance if you're panning the other way)

It will be easier to understand this by looking at the project file.

Once we've calculated the end pan position on slide2 we simply key this number into the Size/Position... window.

All the above discussion, and my example, relies on both the slides having the same on-screen duration and same transition durations. The principle will hold good even if either or both of these two parameters are different. All that happens is that the maths gets much more complicated.

But, it can be done!

ScrollingText_Nov3_2008_16_18_18.zip

regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

This is a nice example. Some time ago I made a similar experiment by running a panorama via two slides. It is also possible to have a soft start and stop, which is very easy if you program it in a symmetric way. What I did not try so far is the following: Let the moving object run via three or more slides while preserving soft start and stop.

If we, the PTE users are honest, we have to admit, that for examples of this kind a slideshow tool providing an unrestricted number of parallel image tracks is much easier to handle.

Best regards,

Xaver