WnSoft Forums

New York

Hi All,

Is there anyone in this forum from or familiar with New York I am going there from Dublin next week and want to purchase the following Nikon D1X / SB80 DX flash and maybe a Contax 645af or mamiya 645af I am aware of THe Following stores B&H , Adorama , Calumet , Starlight, if anyone has any web address for others or locations in or around Manhattan or within an hour or two I would be pleased to hear from them maybe you could e-mail me and not tie up this forum thanks in advance

;) Clive

Clive, I respond here because I think we all benefit so often from so-called Off-topic stuff.

J & R Music & Computer World http://www.jandr.com/ is a large, well known, long lived store in New York. When I was in New York last June, I "looked" in many smaller store windows. There are plenty available. But as Ken reminds us - you must be cautious and know what you are doing - whether dealing with these smaller stores or the biggy's lthat you listed. I enjoyed B & H just for the "experience." It is a bustling operation and unique in my experience. As far as finding a "deal" I did not - neither in J & R nor B & H. B & H has a nice selection of used and demo type equipment, but of course not everything there. I concluded I was more likely to get a good price and fair deal via the internet. (As if that is safe!) So I would say, enjoy the "experience" but don't be disappointed before or after your journey.

YIKES!!!!!!

Maybe I will stay home, thanks Guys for the warning and help , get burnt enough here Ken you should see the prices in Dublin ,but yes I need to be on my toes and thanks again,

;) Keep on Rocking , Clive.

have a good visit when you come to the colonies ;)

warranties are the big thing -- bought in USA may not be covered in Dublin -- duty free shops may be worth checking

and

one time when in New Orleans, the camera shops provided forms so you get the tax paid refunded

worth checking

k

Well, since this thread is "off-topic" maybe someone here can help me with this one: I'm looking to buy

a professional grade microphone to improve the quality of the narration track on my slide shows. I've

been told the SHURE SM58 is pretty much the industry standard.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on that, or recommendations on a different microphone, or a

reputable vendor from whom to get a good deal? I'm looking to buy it new, not used.

Thanks,

Ray

Ray, I'll defer to others on suggesting mic's. I would check internet product reviews too. But when you get them, here is a low-noise, fully balanced microphone preamp that serves me well: The Midiman Audio Buddy. It sells for about US$90.

Audio Buddy features include:

• 2 independent XLR, fully balanced inputs.

• 2 alternate, independent 1/4" unbalanced, high impedance inputs. These alternate 1/4" inputs are impedance matched for ideal performance with typical electric guitars.

• Separate gain controls for each of the two preamplifiers.

• Individual signal and clipping LEDs for each of the preamplifiers.

• XLR phantom power can be switched on and off for both of the Mic preamps.

• Phantom power LED indicator.

• Dual purpose independent 1/4" outputs which accept either TRS plugs for balanced signal or TS plug for unbalanced signal.

• Super-small size: 5.5" x 3.3" x 1.7".

• Extremely quiet preamp.

Specifications

• Frequency Response: 5 Hz to 50 kHz, +0, -3 dB.

• Mic Gain: 60 dB max.

• Mic Input Impedance: 1 K ohm

• Guitar Gain: 40 dB max.

• Guitar Input Impedance: 100 K ohms.

• Approximate weight: under 1/2 lb.

• Power supply: 9 volts ac 300 milliamps.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in how I got on in my quest to buy a D1X in New York well I could not get one anywhere not even the Wonderfull B&H could sort me with this Kit so thanks for the word of warning and SAVVY........ some of the Advertised Deals were scandalous in what they really offered " Must Purchase Kit " kit is not a good deal and there is no store address because there is no STORE But I did get a D100 with MD 100 grip and Sb80 dx flashgun at JR Electronics beside City Hall (10 out of 10 to the staff here ) for a lot less than I could purchase it back here for , so I am pleased and the results are good so far nice piece of kit to handle :) once again friends thank you for the warning it was indeed good advice keep on rocking

Regards Clive