WnSoft Forums

Overiding 5.6

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I know there must be a simple answer???

I downloaded 5.6 beta 11 earlier this evening, intending to try it later.

Just now I opened a 5.5 show I am working on using the 5.5 icon on the build file and it opened in 5.6, please tell me what's wrong.

Yachtsman1. :(

Eric

"Just now I opened a 5.5 show I am working on using the 5.5 icon "

locate your install of 5.5

my winsoft folder is here

C:\Program Files\WnSoft PicturesToExe

open the 5.5 exe and direct it to your 5.5 pte

make a s/c on your desktop for the 5.5 exe and name it as such and place it on the desktop

ken

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric

"Just now I opened a 5.5 show I am working on using the 5.5 icon "

locate your install of 5.5

my winsoft folder is here

C:\Program Files\WnSoft PicturesToExe

open the 5.5 exe and direct it to your 5.5 pte

make a s/c on your desktop for the 5.5 exe and name it as such and place it on the desktop

ken

Hi Ken

Already had that and one for 5.1, which work indipendently, it was only after I installed 5.6 that the problem happened. When I downloaded 5.6 I left the whole zip file on my desktop & my existing shows opened with 5.5. However, like Pandora I had to open the box, so I opened the zip file & that's when 5.6 took everything over.

Regards Eric.

Eric,

The default installation process of v5.6beta11 includes a screen with three "tick boxes" on it to the effect of:

- place an icon on the desktop (unticked by default)

- associate this version with .pte file extension (ticked by default)

- associate this version with .ptv file extension (ticked by default)

Almost certainly you left the ticks as they were. (To my mind, Igor got this wrong and should have had all the ticks reversed. It would have produced a "safer" install for the user). The result is that Windows now believes that you want all .pte files opening into PTE v5.6beta11. It is permissible to have mutiple programs all associated with the same file extension (just think how many programs there are that can handle .jpg files, for instance). But only one program can be the Windows default program for that file extension (i.e. the program that gets launched when you double click on a file having that extension).

When you have multiple versions of PTE installed (as I have at present: v4.49, v5.52 and all the v5.6 beta releases), you have to take extra care not to change the Windows settings that dictate which of the versions is the Windows default for the .pte files. Right now I operate with v5.52 as the Windows default program for .pte files. My working method is to launch PTE from its desktop icon (currently a choice of three: PTE v4.49, PTE v5.52 and PTE v5.6b11) and then to use File...Open...to navigate to and open the actual sequence that I want to work on.

I know this doesn't solve your problem but I hope you now understand why things are happening and what to watch out for next time around. A simple uninstall/re-install of PTE v5.52 should put your settings back as you would like them.

regards,

Peter

Eric

and before you install rename all your s/c's to the appropriate version - pte replaces the default s/c on the desktop with the s/c for the current install

when you have multiple install's you have to be very carefull -- you have to ID things properly or you are going to get frustrated

This is why we try to impress on people that when you start a new show that you start a new folder appropriately named and that you copy all components to that folder before you start the "make show process" and that you save the pte to that folder

the pte is very miniscule in size so rename it differently each time you save as till you get the show the way you like it

ken

Eric,

How to change the file type association (Windows XP):

1. Click right on some pte file.

2. Choose "open with"

3. Click on the option for choosing a program

4. Do not take a program from the shown list, but search the folder "program files"

5. Go to folder "WnSoft PicturesToExe"

6. Inside: Go to the version of your choice

7. Inside the version folder, choose the "apr.exe" and confirm

Regards,

Xaver

ERIC has to make a specific s/c to a specific version/install

version 5 started making a specific folder for each version and labelled as such, but the exe is labelled apr.exe in each version, therefore he must make a s/c for the specific apr and rename it to that specific version install

or

is my uderstanding incorrect ?

my xp sp3 install's work that way :)

ken

Ken,

Yes, you're is correct! And neither Xaver nor I are disagreeing with you. Xaver's post was simply documenting a technique to restore the association with Eric's existing v5.52 copy.

Let me try and summarise all the "best practice" that has been discussed in this thread:

- Each of our AV sequences should have its own folder

- Every component (image file, sound file) used within each sequence should reside in that folder, or a sub-folder thereof.

- The *.pte file should be saved into that folder. It should remain in that folder.

- The *.exe file should be created in that folder. It can be moved or copied elsewhere later if so desired.

- The option File...Save As... should be used to establish versions of the sequence (thus allowing the user to go back to a previous point in the build)

- When installing new PTE versions, the user must watch out for any options to place an icon on the desktop - and should take this option every time

- When installing new PTE versions, the user must watch out for any options to change the file associations - and should take these options only if they are 100% certain of the implication

- Each desktop icon added by the install process should be immediately renamed to reflect the version to which it applies (e.g. PTE v5.52, PTE v5.6b11, etc.)

Does that cover everything?

regards,

Peter

Ken,

I think that Eric should follow my instructions in order achieve that a double-click on a pte file opens it with the correct (wanted) version of apr.exe, typically not a beta version. Of course, there can only be one association. If needed he should follow Tom's advice.

What is s/c (shortcut??)! Sometimes, a more literary stile would be helpful ;)

Regards,

Xaver

what is

"more literary stile "

generally stile means a type of device for climbing over a fence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stile

s/c = shortcut

d/l = download

the 2 above are common terms in computer lingo here in the colonies

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/C

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortcut

d/l and s/c have many meanings depending on what you are working with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckworth-Lewis_method

ken

Lieber Ken,

so ist es doch unverzeihlich von mir, die Worte "stile" und "style" verwechselt zu haben. Es soll nicht wieder vorkommen. Ich werde Dir künftig wohl besser in deutscher Sprache antworten. Dann können solche Missverständnisse vermieden werden. Bei Bedarf kann dies auch in Umgangssprache geschehen, ähnlich wie Du es machst!

Viele Grüße aus München sendet

Xaver

Peter

Eric does not mention 5.2, he mentions 5.5

using xahu34's method on my system would open ver 3.6

since version 5 made the change to install to a specific folder and not overwriting prior installs as was done up to v4.49,your write up seems complete -- please make a faq to cover it TIA

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Guys I am away at present using the hotel's computer, I have read all the comments, had a chuckle about the stile. Thank you all, hopefully I will sort it when I get back Saturday.

Yachtsman1

Lieber Ken,

so ist es doch unverzeihlich von mir, die Worte "stile" und "style" verwechselt zu haben. Es soll nicht wieder vorkommen. Ich werde Dir künftig wohl besser in deutscher Sprache antworten. Dann können solche Missverständnisse vermieden werden. Bei Bedarf kann dies auch in Umgangssprache geschehen, ähnlich wie Du es machst!

Viele Grüße aus München sendet Xaver

... et toc Ken ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Schmoutz von France

... et toc Ken ! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Schmoutz von France

Is it the moon ? :unsure:

I do not understand all the discussion ...

With the good help , I am abble to understand to Ken, but not the over Rhein language ...

No capito ..

No entiendo ...

Je ne pige pas .... :blink:

Daniel/Patrick/Xaver/Ken,

Please fellas, be kind to this poor moderator! I'm working hard at becoming bi-lingual - English/French. But I'm not yet ready for tri-lingual - English/French/German. I know that I studied German for two years at school - but that was over 40 years ago and there's not much left in the memory banks!

regards,

Peter

Peter,

There is no need to fear that I will continue (generally) to post in German. On the other hand, I cannot consider it to be funny if a native speaker mocks about a non-native one in case of an orthographic mistake (stile/style). Furthermore, I do not like it very much if native speakers post messages using a language which I would call colloquial, if not slang (sometimes not easy to understand), and why not to answer in these particular cases in German. I typically try to be kind to foreigners and use Standard German.

Best regards,

Xaver

Xaver,

In my opinion you make some very good points; points that all users of the forum, whatever their nationality, would do well to keep in mind when posting. I am taking this opportunity to convey a gentle reminder to all.

This is an international forum; we have members from all continents. The forum language is English; but for many of the users this is not their native language. Therefore, to prevent mis-understandings and unintentional insults, it is always wise to write in simple, clear English. I would further suggest that use of local colloquialisms or short-hand should be restricted to those occasions when you are replying to a specific individual whom you know will understand what you have written.

I feel that I am well placed to offer these suggestions as I am also a participating member on a French language forum and so I have experience of both sides of this particular subject.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Your post is an excellent example :rolleyes: It is written in a clear and cultivated language. It isn’t too short, and isn’t too long (long messages sometimes are tedious); it is just as a typical message should look like.

Best regards,

Xaver

Lèche-bottes <_<

Clear, short and cultivated !

Guest Yachtsman1
Peter,

There is no need to fear that I will continue (generally) to post in German. On the other hand, I cannot consider it to be funny if a native speaker mocks about a non-native one in case of an orthographic mistake (stile/style). Furthermore, I do not like it very much if native speakers post messages using a language which I would call colloquial, if not slang (sometimes not easy to understand), and why not to answer in these particular cases in German. I typically try to be kind to foreigners and use Standard German.

Best regards,

Xaver

Maybe you should get out more ;)

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

How to change the file type association (Windows XP):

1. Click right on some pte file.

2. Choose "open with"

3. Click on the option for choosing a program

4. Do not take a program from the shown list, but search the folder "program files"

5. Go to folder "WnSoft PicturesToExe"

6. Inside: Go to the version of your choice

7. Inside the version folder, choose the "apr.exe" and confirm

Regards,

Xaver

Just tried the above, afraid it didn't work. Help!!!

Yachtsman1