WnSoft Forums

Overiding 5.6

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1
Did you tick "Always use the selected program ..." in the open-with-window?

Regards,

Xaver

Hi All

Following a restless night, dreaming I would have to re-do all my archive shows, I shot bolt awake at 5.30 am. A vision of the way forward filled my brain. The heating had not yet come on, so with shivering steps I made my way to the lounge, pausing on the way for a quick pee. I switched on the laptop, didn't even log on to the forum to see if anyone had solved my problem.

With the machine fully booted, I opened control panel, erased the dreaded 5.6, which by this time was bets13 after last nights efforts. Then I performed the magical XP factor, and re-booted my machine.

With trembling fingers, (the central heating wasn't yet up to speed), I clicked on my desktop shortcut to my beloved PTE files, opened the one that had originally thrown me into a panic, glory be, there it was in all it's 5.5 glory. With madly beating heart I tried another, yes, yes, yes, everything was back to normal.

Not wanting to appear a whimp, I logged on to the forum, clicked the link to beta 13, started the download. When I reached the final page I unticked both association boxes, ticked the desk top icon box, then returned to my precious PTE files.

Halleluia it works :P

How did I do it you may ask :angry: . For the solution, you will have to donate £5 to the home for "Bewildered PTE Users" which is expanding at a the same rate as PTE.

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi All

I know I would be lynched if I didn't let you into my secret of how I broke free from the clutches of beta 13, quite simple really :rolleyes:

SYSTEM RESTORE.

So for any other bewildered users, the steps were:

1 Control panel.

2. Add/Remove Programmes.

3. Remove PTE 5.6 beta 13.

4. Programmes/accesories/ System Restore.

5. Download Beta 13 or maybe 31 if it expands at the current rate.

6. On the final page of the download, untick the two association boxes, tick the desktop icon box.

7. Finally Keep your noses out of things that may confuse you in the future until the BIG BOYS have decided it's done & dusted.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

For all those who didn't attend the second NYSD AV night last night, looks like things could take off. :lol:

Back to bed now if the wife doesn't kick me out again.

Yachtsman1

PS Xaver

No I hadn't ticked the "always use this programme" box. It's a bit difficult to explain why, but for some reason I ticked the exe file icon not the apr icon and couldn't get rid of it. Thanks anyway.

Sag' mir, was soll das bedeuten!

Grüße aus München,

Xaver

Dans quelle langue doit on continuer à parler sur ce forum ? - In which language does we have to speak on this forum?.

Cet arrogant personnage (Xaver) va-t-il longtemps s'amuser des autres - Will this arrogant person (Xaver) continue to play around with other members?

Regards

Patrick

This is an international forum; we have members from all continents. The forum language is English; but for many of the users this is not their native language. Therefore, to prevent mis-understandings and unintentional insults, it is always wise to write in simple, clear English. I would further suggest that use of local colloquialisms or short-hand should be restricted to those occasions when you are replying to a specific individual whom you know will understand what you have written.

I would draw everybody's attention to post #21 of this topic (from which I quote above).

This is an English-language forum. Would ALL users of it please observe this forum rule at all times.

regards,

Peter

....kind of hard to make it hard and fast - we have members from all over the world and quite often Igor does the Russian translation, Lin, Hawk Al Robinson,Maureen etc have had to translate their questions....

Members from places all over the world (excluding England and the former colonies) typically use a simple English; it may not always be clear (depending on the abilities), and experienced other members should be helpful, of course. Native English speakers should be in the position to follow Peter’s rule without restrictions, and it would be very nice if they did it!

Regards,

Xaver

I agree with Peter that all posts on this forum should be written in English language (for the reasons described by him).

Another important reason, if admit messages in other languages it will not allow many other members follow by discussion and learn useful information.

The only one reasonable exclusion I think we can accept - duplicating of text written in some national language by English translation.

In all other cases better send private message through the forum or email directly to recipient in any language which you prefer.

And please let stop all off-topic discussions here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yachtsman1

Since my original post, I have downloaded 5.6 and unticked the two boxes on the final page of installation.

I have now tried to assemble a couple of trials using 5.6 using the 5.6 icon as the starting point. I have then "saved as" what I have produced. However what I have produced does not hold onto 5.6, when I try to re-open what I have produced using the icon produced, it reverts to 5.5 and loses the 5.6 features. :(

Yachtsman1

Eric,

When you unticked the two boxes for "File associations" during the install of PTE v5.6 beta, you left the file associations "bound" to PTE v5.52. Now, having produced a .pte file using PTE v5.6 beta, you are double-clicking that file - which carries the .pte extension. This causes Windows to do a look-up in its file associations tables to find out which program it should use to open a .pte file. What it finds is that .pte files are associated with PTE v5.52 and so it uses PTE v5.52 to open your project file. Windows knows nothing about who or what created the .pte file. All it knows is that it must use PTE v5.52 to open the .pte file.

To open your v5.6 project into v5.6 you need only launch PTE v5.6 from the desktop icon. PTE will open the last used project automatically. If you are working on several v5.6 projects, then you must use File...Open... from within PTE v5.6 to pick the one that you want.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

When you unticked the two boxes for "File associations" during the install of PTE v5.6 beta, you left the file associations "bound" to PTE v5.52. Now, having produced a .pte file using PTE v5.6 beta, you are double-clicking that file - which carries the .pte extension. This causes Windows to do a look-up in its file associations tables to find out which program it should use to open a .pte file. What it finds is that .pte files are associated with PTE v5.52 and so it uses PTE v5.52 to open your project file. Windows knows nothing about who or what created the .pte file. All it knows is that it must use PTE v5.52 to open the .pte file.

To open your v5.6 project into v5.6 you need only launch PTE v5.6 from the desktop icon. PTE will open the last used project automatically. If you are working on several v5.6 projects, then you must use File...Open... from within PTE v5.6 to pick the one that you want.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I have done that and opened in 5.6, will try a new show tomorrow and see how it goes. I have produced a new WI type show in5.5, and then saved that, then condensed it to a CC version in 5.6 all inside the same folder and same picture & sound files for ease. I will try another CC version in 5.6 tomorrow and report back. I'm almost certain I didn't have to do that changing from 5.1 to 5.5???

For the benifit of the none English speakers WI = womens institute, CC = camera club, in other words non regular as opposed to regular more critical viewers.

Thanks Peter.

Yachtsman1 (Eric)

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi Peter

I have done that and opened in 5.6, will try a new show tomorrow and see how it goes. I have produced a new WI type show in5.5, and then saved that, then condensed it to a CC version in 5.6 all inside the same folder and same picture & sound files for ease. I will try another CC version in 5.6 tomorrow and report back. I'm almost certain I didn't have to do that changing from 5.1 to 5.5???

For the benifit of the none English speakers WI = womens institute, CC = camera club, in other words non regular as opposed to regular more critical viewers.

Thanks Peter.

Yachtsman1 (Eric)

Hi Peter

Tried again as you said, still reverts back to 5.5. I will try again tomorrow with the latest beta and let the system install things as they appear. I think maybe I was over cautious after my initial problems with 5.6 taking over, and may have not installed 5.6 correctly.

Regards Eric

Eric,

Lets begin at basics here to help solve your file version problem.

When you Double-Click a .pte project file ... what version of PTE opens ?

Version of PTE program is displayed in the top title bar. The program does not display the version of the actual .pte file.

If you open your .pte file in a text editor ... you can clearly see at the top of the document what version of PTE created the .pte file when last saved or saved as.

CreationTool=PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.10

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

Lets begin at basics here to help solve your file version problem.

When you Double-Click a .pte project file ... what version of PTE opens ?

Version of PTE program is displayed in the top title bar. The program does not display the version of the actual .pte file.

If you open your .pte file in a text editor ... you can clearly see at the top of the document what version of PTE created the .pte file when last saved or saved as.

CreationTool=PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.10

I will try again to explain simply what is happening.

On my system I have PTE files created in 5.1 5.5 & now 5.6.

If I click the file construction icon, (the one that is generated when I save as) it opens in one of the previous two, 5.1 or 5.5 correctly. If I click the icon created in 5.6 by the same method it opens in 5.5 and the features that are new in 5.6 disappear, eg 3d.

I have uninstalled 5.6 yet again and re-installed it. On the final screen of the installation "Import, choose previous version of PTE to import settings" Beta 5.6 13 is shown highlighted with an option to click on 5.1, 5.5, 5.6 13, or DEVELOPER.

Previously I have clicked 5.5 and 5.6 and the phenomena happened. This time I clicked developer, constructed a show, tried save as and then shut down the computer. On re-starting, the new icon created when double clicked opens the new show but in 5.5 & minus the new features. Clcking the 5.6 icon opens the new show in 5.6 with the new features.

I have now created an exe file of the new show, so it is saved.

However something has been changed in the basic operation of 5.6 to make what I have been doing, and am happy with in 5.1 & 5.5 unusuable in 5.6.

Yachtsman1

Eric

before you go bonkers i would jump in the car and go vist Peter and resolve this

or

get a msn messenger acct and talk to him or others on the forum that are equipped with this software - they can talk you thru the steps

and i am not trying to be facetious with this answer, but you are not doing something right or we would be having 100's of complaints on the forum

the other day i tried to open an old show made with a 4 series with 4.48

-- no go

-- 5.6 had the control -- and got the error message that comes up

so i tried to open the 448 exe no go

so i installed 449

and i was back in business

and 448 worked as well

i use a different way to open programs than other people -- i have used a Baxbex freebie -- OPEN EXPERT - EARLY WIN 98 days - for years to open things and have advocated it many times in the forum

ken

Eric,

I find it hard to believe that Windows can distinguish between a <projecta>.pte file created with PTE v5.1 and a <projectb>.pte file created with PTE v5.5 and open the correct version of PTE for each one. I would be grateful if you could perform the following test for me to confirm this is really what is happening on your system:

- open the PTE v5.1 project (.pte) file in Notepad (right click the .pte filename in Windows Explorer and select Open With and then select Notepad) and confirm that it was last processed by PTE v5.1

- launch PTE v5.1 (from Start...Programs... DO NOT USE ANY DESKTOP ICONS) and do File...Open... to open that same .pte file

- double-check that the PTE version is v5.1 by doing Help...About Pictures to Exe...

- close PTE

- double-click on the .pte filename in Windows Explorer

- double-check which version of PTE has been launched by doing Help...About Pictures-to-Exe

now repeat but using a PTE v5.5 .pte file and PTE v5.5:

- open the PTE v5.5 project (.pte) file in Notepad (right click the .pte filename in Windows Explorer and select Open With and then select Notepad) and confirm that it was last processed by PTE v5.5

- launch PTE v5.5 (from Start...Programs...DO NOT USE ANY DESKTOP ICONS) and do File...Open... to open that same .pte file

- double-check that the PTE version is v5.5 by doing Help...About Pictures to Exe...

- close PTE

- double-check which version of PTE has been launched by doing Help...About Pictures-to-Exe

Report back with your findings, please

Just one further point: you do not need to keep PTE v5.1 if you are happy with PTE v5.5. All your PTE v5.1 project files will open quite happily in PTE v5.5; and the projects will behave just the same under v5.5 as they did under v5.1.

regards,

Peter

Eric,

Comments on some of your last post reply :

If I click the icon created in 5.6 by the same method it opens in 5.5 and the features that are new in 5.6 disappear, eg 3d

I assume here you mean the icon created in v5.6 is the .pte file icon and not the Pte program icon shortcut. If you are viewing or opening your v5.6 .pte file in v5.5 PTE program ... you will not see some of your v5.6 file settings in the v5.5 program because v5.5 does not contain or know of the new program featues and changes v5.6 now is capable of. New v5.6 project files are not backward compatable to be opened in a v5.5 program. Igor use to limit backward compatability file opening ... he may need to reinstate this limitation.

I have uninstalled 5.6 yet again and re-installed it. On the final screen of the installation "Import, choose previous version of PTE to import settings" Beta 5.6 13 is shown highlighted with an option to click on 5.1, 5.5, 5.6 13, or DEVELOPER.

Previously I have clicked 5.5 and 5.6 and the phenomena happened. This time I clicked developer, constructed a show, tried save as and then shut down the computer. On re-starting, the new icon created when double clicked opens the new show but in 5.5 & minus the new features. Clcking the 5.6 icon opens the new show in 5.6 with the new features.

All this setting does is orient the PTE program to previously preferred user and view settings you may have selected in other versions. Such as View orientations etc. Developer setting is the default program settings and program views. These program orientation settings and view preferences have no effect on the .pte file settings that have been previously save or saved as.

I suggest to first sort out all your desktop program shortcuts ... verify program location and rename the shortcut to the identity of the exact PTE program version. When saving any .pte files first note the program version and add the version number to the .pte filename ... such as Myshowv5.6b13.pte. Once you have become familiar with using multiple versions Pte programs with multiple file versions ... use whatever name scheme.

I will let Peter work with you one-on-one from now on with this matter ... too many comments from multiple users can even become confusing. :P

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

I find it hard to believe that Windows can distinguish between a <projecta>.pte file created with PTE v5.1 and a <projectb>.pte file created with PTE v5.5 and open the correct version of PTE for each one. I would be grateful if you could perform the following test for me to confirm this is really what is happening on your system:

- open the PTE v5.1 project (.pte) file in Notepad (right click the .pte filename in Windows Explorer and select Open With and then select Notepad) and confirm that it was last processed by PTE v5.1

- launch PTE v5.1 (from Start...Programs... DO NOT USE ANY DESKTOP ICONS) and do File...Open... to open that same .pte file

- double-check that the PTE version is v5.1 by doing Help...About Pictures to Exe...

- close PTE

now repeat but using a PTE v5.5 .pte file and PTE v5.5:

- open the PTE v5.5 project (.pte) file in Notepad (right click the .pte filename in Windows Explorer and select Open With and then select Notepad) and confirm that it was last processed by PTE v5.5

- launch PTE v5.5 (from Start...Programs...DO NOT USE ANY DESKTOP ICONS) and do File...Open... to open that same .pte file

- double-check that the PTE version is v5.5 by doing Help...About Pictures to Exe...

- close PTE

Report back with your findings, please

Just one further point: you do not need to keep PTE v5.1 if you are happy with PTE v5.5. All your PTE v5.1 project files will open quite happily in PTE v5.5; and the projects will behave just the same under v5.5 as they did under v5.1.

regards Peter

Hi Peter

I will have a go at what you have suggested tomorrow when I will have more time. One thing I didn't mention but is not related to the previous discussion, when I finished my 5.6 show, the final couple of slides had rolling text animation and picture animation combined, which was very jerky. I have done this before in 5.5 with no trouble???

Ken

I will be seeing Peter in January and it will keep until then.

Thanks Everyone.

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

I have attempted to do as you suggested. I could only find one of my original shows from the first version of PTE I bought. I have copied the first few lines from the Word Pad data from 3 shows 5.04, 5.5 and the one from 5.6. I also tried using nobeefstus suggestion regarding the saving of a file name incorporating the version number. The screen shot shows what happens when I open the show from the icon created.

There is no urgency in sorting my problem, it isn't causing me any heartache as I can create a 5.6 show and still open my 5.5's in 5.5.

Re Barry's last post, I'm not sure this is so, as Ken reported on what happenened whe he tried to open an old show.

Se you in 09.

Regards Eric.

Note Pad Data from my pte file earliest version.

[main]

filetype=Project file of PicturesToExe

CreationTool=PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.04

globalversion=1

minorversion=10

projectname=ccfourthtry

type=Save

Note Pad data from 5.5.

[main]

CreationTool=PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.50

globalversion=1

minorversion=10

projectname=Secret Leyburn r1

type=Save

Note Pad Data from 5.6

[main]

CreationTool=PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.60 Beta 16

PteVersion=5.60 Beta 16

globalversion=1

minorversion=13

projectname=wosclubV5.6B16

type=Save

post-5560-1229863053_thumb.jpg

Eric,

That screen snap-shot is consistent with you having double-clicked on the wosclubv5.6B16.pte filename or file icon and Windows having used its File Associations table to identify that files with extension .pte are to be opened in PTE v5.5. Given that you unticked the two boxes about file associations when you installed PTE v5.6 beta16, this is all exactly as it should be.

Windows does not know that the wosclub file was created using v5.6 beta16. Only PTE and you know that! And PTE knows only AFTER it has opened it and loaded into memory.

Everything is working as it should. And, I'm afraid, there is no way to make it work as you seem to want it to. I'll explain more fully when we meet in January.

By the way, it is bad practice to include fullstops as part of your filename. The fullstop is the delimiter between the filename and the file extension. Better to use hyphens or underscores.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

That screen snap-shot is consistent with you having double-clicked on the wosclubv5.6B16.pte filename or file icon and Windows having used its File Associations table to identify that files with extension .pte are to be opened in PTE v5.5. Given that you unticked the two boxes about file associations when you installed PTE v5.6 beta16, this is all exactly as it should be.

Windows does not know that the wosclub file was created using v5.6 beta16. Only PTE and you know that! And PTE knows only AFTER it has opened it and loaded into memory.

Everything is working as it should. And, I'm afraid, there is no way to make it work as you seem to want it to. I'll explain more fully when we meet in January.

By the way, it is bad practice to include fullstops as part of your filename. The fullstop is the delimiter between the filename and the file extension. Better to use hyphens or underscores.

regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter.

The file name I copied what nobeefstu suggested, I don't usually use anything like that.

Regards Eric