WnSoft Forums

A new bug in PTE?

fh1805

I've been assisting user baldsparky to diagnose a problem he has encountered and I think he has found a new bug in PTE.

The problem appears if you build a multi-screen menu. I have built a series of test sequences and zipped them. The file is 3.3MB in size so I've uploaded it to MediaFire here: http://www.mediafire.com/?njdzyn41kyn. Please read the ReadMe file before running any of the sequences. It explains what the sequences do and what the problem symptom is.

These project files have all been created using v5.6.

regards,

Peter

Baldsparky & Peter,

I think you are right --- this does appear to be a bug.

I have been using PTE as a lecture platform for many years now -- and it has always worked perfectly --- recently I have been putting together a new 30 'slide' options menu for a new lecture tour and I have been suffering the same problem as has been described by baldsparky --- I thought it was ME doing something wrong !?

I do not have a solution to this problem -- but I thought I would just confirm that the problem exists.

bjc

Thanks Peter and Paul!

We've reproduced both problems.

1) First issue releated only with Windows Vista looks as quick flashing to desktop before started slideshow will appear on the screen (if Aero UI turned off) or started slideshow doesn't appear on the screen (if Aero UI turned on). Fixing of this probem may take long time, but we will release updated v5.6.1 immediately when solve it. Temporary solution: please use new "Run Slideshow" command which works much better than "Run Application".

2) Second bug with wrong Run action of next slide instead of current one if wait more than 2.5 seconds. We also will fix it. Temporary solution: set much longer time of slides. say 400 seconds instead of 2.5 seconds.

Hi Igor,

Thank you for responding so quickly with a temporary solution to the 'second bug' ---- I have reworked my 'menu' with the slides all set to 4000 seconds (!?) and now all the links work perfectly, across all the slides. Great solution -- why didn't I think of that -- because I'm not at bright as you, that's why. Well done Igor.

bjc

Hi Igor,

I have been following this thread as I have also experienced the problems mentioned by Peter and Baldsparky. May I add that when I made a two page Menu I noticed that when it was subsequently opened at a later date it would sometimes "forget" the link to a particular slideshow - some days it would be there and another day it would not. In one case it repeatedly refused to open a slideshow making me think that I had a corrupt file. However, when I remade the Menu in PTE 5.5 it opened the slideshow every time without problem. The 5.5 Menu is very stable and runs every time including page 2 without problems. Hope this helps.

Best Wishes, Peter.

There is also a problem when running a 'One Page Menu'.

I have created a menu using Version 5.6 but I am only able to use slide shows that have been created in Version 5. If I attempt to use a show made with earlier versions

I get a 'Mismatch' message. I realise that. if I open the earlier project of the show, in Version 5 and then create the .exe again, it all works well. However, not all people still have access to earlier Project files.

Always a mistake not to save and backup your projects (before you all start howling at me).

Ron

Hi Ron,

Which option are you using to trigger the next sequence: Run Slideshow or Run Application? If you are using Run Slideshow (or its variant Run Slideshow and Return) then both the menu exe and the triggered sequence's exe must have been created using v5.6. This is because only v5.6 has the necessary code to provide full compatibility with this new feature.

regards,

Peter

Hi Ron,

Which option are you using to trigger the next sequence: Run Slideshow or Run Application? If you are using Run Slideshow (or its variant Run Slideshow and Return) then both the menu exe and the triggered sequence's exe must have been created using v5.6. This is because only v5.6 has the necessary code to provide full compatibility with this new feature.

regards,

Peter

I am aware of that Peter, I said as much in my post "I realise that. if I open the earlier project of the show, in Version 5 and then create the .exe again, it all works well".

I am just raising the point to help those people who might not have saved thier project files. I am also interested to learn if Igor and his team, will be providing any future 'fix' to this problem.

Ron