WnSoft Forums

Best configuration for AVI creation

mfetterhoff

Hello Friends

Im having a tough time creating a DVD with adequate quality. As it is, I have good picture quality, but several slides which 'Pan' to the left end up 'jittery' by the time I get it to DVD. This 'jerky' motion appears to happen only on frames wherein I began 'Zoomed in', and panned to the left. If I pan in, or out, there is no problem. If I pan in or in and to the left or right, the frame plays beautifully, and is very 'fluid'. Only when the frame begins zoomed in and pans while remaining zoomed, do I have this problem.

I have been using MPEG4 codec, and have tried V1 V2 and V3.

I have tried interlaced, and non-interlaced. Flicker filter and no flicker filter.

I have also tried different aspect ratios. Still.. I cannot smooth out these pan shots.

Any recommendations from you Pro's ?

I'm using Pte v/5.6

Hi,

I'm a little confused. Are you creating DVD's or trying to play the file on your computer? Normally, to create a DVD you use Video Builder and do not choose a codec. If you are using other software, which are you using?

Have you actually created the DVD's and played them on a stand-alone DVD player attached to a television, or are you playing the DVD's on your computer?

The "best" way I've found to create and burn a DVD is to simply use Video Builder, choose NTSC or PAL, etc., according to your geographical need and take the defaults.

Unless you are using third party software to burn an AVI or MPEG to DVD, there should be no choice of codec. Only when you create a "custom AVI" should you need to choose a video codec. On the other hand, if you are trying to burn an HD MP4 to a standard DVD blank and using another software product such as Pinnacle that's another issue entirely.

If you could clarify, it would be easier to offer suggestions.

Thanks,

Lin

Hi,

Something is not right if Video Builder doesn't give you the very best quality possible in a DVD. The output from Video Builder when you have things right can not be improved on in a DVD format. As a test, I just created a DVD using my "rotation madness" PTE file which has the very most difficult and trying pans, rotates, zooms, etc., and the DVD created with Video Builder is absolutely as good as DVD's get. The image quality, movements and so on are perfectly smooth and jerk free. If you will set up a link to the zipped PTE for me, I will test this with your PTE file and report back.

I'm not sure what your problem with Video Builder may have been or is, but your settings may be responsible. The default setting "should" produce a perfect DVD with as much resolution as possible to get from PAL or NTSC and with very smooth movements including pans, zooms and rotates.

As for using Nero and an AVI, unfortunately I have no recent experience so can't be of any help. I can tell you that often a computer will not play a DVD file as smoothly as a commercial player attached to a TV so if you haven't tested the output that way it might be different.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks, Lin.

Do you need only the PTE file, or do you need all the photos as well?

On another note, I worked this out by selecting 4:3 aspect ratio within Nero's burn settings.

Video builder produced the worst quality of anything I've tried. Photos were not clear. Text flickerd, presentation came off timing a little.

All in all it was pretty bad. Given the simplicity of using VB, It would be nice to use, if it could produce results as you say it should.

Mark

Hi Mark,

To test I need the zipped PTE file which contains all images as well as the PTE file. Just go to "File" "Create Backup in Zip" and post a link to it on your site or use:

http://www.mediafire.com/

and send me a link. I'll create a CD and test it for you and get back with you on it.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks, Lin.

Do you need only the PTE file, or do you need all the photos as well?

On another note, I worked this out by selecting 4:3 aspect ratio within Nero's burn settings.

Video builder produced the worst quality of anything I've tried. Photos were not clear. Text flickerd, presentation came off timing a little.

All in all it was pretty bad. Given the simplicity of using VB, It would be nice to use, if it could produce results as you say it should.

Mark

Hi Mark,

To test I need the zipped PTE file which contains all images as well as the PTE file. Just go to "File" "Create Backup in Zip" and post a link to it on your site or use:

http://www.mediafire.com/

and send me a link. I'll create a CD and test it for you and get back with you on it.

Best regards,

Lin

Mark,

I'm also willing to test this once you upload your zipped PTE file.

Ray

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Something is not right if Video Builder doesn't give you the very best quality possible in a DVD. The output from Video Builder when you have things right can not be improved on in a DVD format. As a test, I just created a DVD using my "rotation madness" PTE file which has the very most difficult and trying pans, rotates, zooms, etc., and the DVD created with Video Builder is absolutely as good as DVD's get. The image quality, movements and so on are perfectly smooth and jerk free. If you will set up a link to the zipped PTE for me, I will test this with your PTE file and report back.

I'm not sure what your problem with Video Builder may have been or is, but your settings may be responsible. The default setting "should" produce a perfect DVD with as much resolution as possible to get from PAL or NTSC and with very smooth movements including pans, zooms and rotates.

As for using Nero and an AVI, unfortunately I have no recent experience so can't be of any help. I can tell you that often a computer will not play a DVD file as smoothly as a commercial player attached to a TV so if you haven't tested the output that way it might be different.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin, please let me take a ride on that! I am a new member (registered just today!) and also new to this area, so I hope I will not bother you with my comments. For the last 3 weeks I have tried several slideshow software packages, from ProShow Gold to Ulead DVD Picture Show to Cyberlink's DVD Suite 7. All of them are good, but I was not impressed by the quality of the DVD generated by any of them.

Since last week I have been using the trial version of PicturesToExe in order to make a decision towards the best slideshow software to buy. I loved the quality of a slideshow sample I have produced, when seen on the PC, but the trial version will not let me burn a DVD, because Video Burner is not included. I tried to burn the AVI file generated by PicturesToExe, but both Nero and Cyberlink's DVD Suite did not recognize the AVI file.

Since the main purpose for the software is to play the slideshow on TV, I am not been able to verify the quality of the product before buying it.

Could you help me with that?

The trial version of PTE should allow you to burn a DVD via Video-Builder. The only restriction is that it places a scrolling text along the bottom of the video to the effect that it was created with a trial copy. I don't burn DVDs myself but that is how the previous version behaved when I tested it.

regards,

Peter

The trial version of PTE should allow you to burn a DVD via Video-Builder. The only restriction is that it places a scrolling text along the bottom of the video to the effect that it was created with a trial copy. I don't burn DVDs myself but that is how the previous version behaved when I tested it.

regards,

Peter

Thank you for answering Peter, really appreciate that! The DVD creation option is desabled in the trial version I have installed. I will try to download it again and see if it works this time.

Regards,

Manoel

Hi,

Best regards,

Lin

Hi There

I too am suffering quality problems with DVD burning. I am using PTE 5.6 and have burned DVD's direct from video builder and also from and ISO file (produced via video builder) and Image Burn. The results from both are identical with the images being less than sharp and the colours exaggerated. The quality is the same both when playing the DVD on a player attached to the TV and on my PC. The original pte file and exe files play perfectly well on my PC and the quality is excellent. The problem would therefore seem to be with the DVD drive on my PC, the media used or the software. Can anyone advise? Many thanks.

Chris

Chris,

You will never get the same image quality from a DVD-burnt sequence that you will get from an EXE file. See here: http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8703

regards,

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter, makes sense, I was perhaps expecting too much from basic equipment.

Chris