WnSoft Forums

Creating templates

Mike Reed

HI All

Am having trouble in getting my head around creating a template of a sequence to send to someboby else who has PTE installed so that they can amend what I have done.. So far I have gone to file> templates>create template from this show. Given it a name and hit OK. The resultant template would appear to be saved in... c/docs and settings/all users/application data/pictures to exe/templates/then the saved name of my sequence. BUT when I open this folder and save to a blank cd all I get copied is the slides without the runing/timing order or sound track. I expected it to open into a new project in exactly the layout as I have it in my timing window.

Have I done something wrong or is this all you get as a template?

Mike

Mike,

Following on from Xavers' suggestion to Zip it up ~ I also have experienced problems with exporting Templates.

However when one gets to 'grips' as to how a Template works and the cross-compatibility problems likely to be

encountered (much like a Word Template) they don't export very well to different PC's and different Op.Systems.

The "attachment" below gives details, and shows how to reliably get around that problem.

Hope it helps,

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1237296921_thumb.png

Mike,

Further to Xaver's and Brian's replies:

IF you adopt a rigorous discipline of keeping all files for each project under a folder specifically for that project then all you need to do to copy the project from one PC to another is to copy the project's folder.

Each of my projects has its own folder: e.g. AVProj1, AV Proj2, etc. For each project, all the image files and the sound files are stored under that folder. The saves of the .pte file also go into that folder and so do the exe files created from that .pte file. When I want to copy the project to another PC I just copy the folder (e.g. AVProj1) to a USB memory stick, take the stick to the other machine and drag the folder on to the hard drive of the receiving PC.

This technique is simple to use but does require absolutely rigorous adherence to the "everything under the one folder" discipline.

The screenshot below shows the expanded folder structure for one of my sequences. As you can see I actually use sub-folders in which to keep the images, sounds and other bits and pieces.

regards,

Peter

post-4886-1237298747_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Further to Xaver's and Brian's replies:

IF you adopt a rigorous discipline of keeping all files for each project under a folder specifically for that project then all you need to do to copy the project from one PC to another is to copy the project's folder.

Each of my projects has its own folder: e.g. AVProj1, AV Proj2, etc. For each project, all the image files and the sound files are stored under that folder. The saves of the .pte file also go into that folder and so do the exe files created from that .pte file. When I want to copy the project to another PC I just copy the folder (e.g. AVProj1) to a USB memory stick, take the stick to the other machine and drag the folder on to the hard drive of the receiving PC.

This technique is simple to use but does require absolutely rigorous adherence to the "everything under the one folder" discipline.

The screenshot below shows the expanded folder structure for one of my sequences. As you can see I actually use sub-folders in which to keep the images, sounds and other bits and pieces.

regards,

Peter

post-4886-1237298747_thumb.jpg

This method of keeping all files, associated with the creation of a slide show, in one folder is the best way to go. I have recently posted a new tutorial on the sales page of my web site. Section 1 deals with the creation of such a set of folders, much the same as Peter has described. The tutorial is called 'Making your first Slide Show' and may be of particular interest to newcomers to PTE.

Guys,

The 'Singular Folder'with everything in it classified into 'Sub-Folders'' does not work

with all Operating Systems and different versions of PTE running in those Op.Systems.

For Example:- PTE 4.49 running on a Win'98se can not find Images spread across different

Sub-Folders within a Master Folder. It likes a 'Named Target-Folder' with all Show contents

(pertaining to that Show) contained within that Target-Folder. The same goes for Win 2000.

Perhaps that's not made clear enough to new PTE Users ?.....because what has been written

above can easily be misinterpreted by a novice user to the effect that Images & Sounds

can be extracted from miscellaneous Folders in the making of a PTE-Slideshow..that's not true.

A footnote in the above Posts should clarify all ~ for all.

Brian.

I wonder just how many of us are still using these 'older operating systems' I hope that the majority of people will try to keep up with the lastest technology.

I know that sounds a little tongue in cheek, and I apologise.

Ron

Guys,

Yes there are a lot of '98se out there, usually handed down to Grandparents by their children and indeed in

some Corporate Engineering (sectors) '98se is still used for its ability to handle 16.bit Drawing Programs.

Concerning Win.2000Pro ~ There are millions still in use by Municipal Authorities and Semi-State Companies

as well as Transport concerns and medium/small Business because of its unique NT.System and its ability

to run 16.bit and 32.bit Programs on LAN Networks where up to 200 PC's could be connected. Its only within

the past 2/3 years that such Authorities & Business are changing over to Win.Xp Pro which is still available

in the Corporate sector from such vendors as Hewlett-Packard ~ Acer and others.

Microsoft though it simply had to 'Click-its-Fingers' and every Corporate Company would change over to Vista.

No so !! and hardly unlikely, as the Corporate sectors had just invested billions (yes billions) in Win.2000 and

then Win.XP Pro. After that rejection Microsoft attacked the Private sector and forced the Public to buy Vista

by the simple expedient of closing down the distribution and support of Win.2000 and Win.Xp....not very nice ?

On our end of things in PC Applications we have to support Win.98se ~Win.2000 ~ XP because thats what our

customers want of us. (We also have to make sure that PTE works reliably on our Customers Op.Systems).

We in the Forum tend to forget these facts, and have we forgotten what Microsoft have done with XP ????

I don't think so...and are you all forgetting that Vista will be replaced in 2 years by "Windows-7" now available

on line in fully working 'Beta-Format' and its damn good. (It's XP revamped to work 32.bit and 64.bit plus XX).

Brian.

Ken,

Your're spot on target about V4.49 ~ there are very many Private and Business users

who simply want WnSoft to maintain a 'basic' simple reliable cross-platform Program such as

V4.49. Lets be honest about this, it is the best Slideshow Program available for general Business

purposes. (For more advanced 'creativity' purposes you have Pte.5.6xx for those who need that).

In my opinion Pte 4.49 is a 'Classic-Program' which ranks with the 'Classical WinAmp' and the

now famous 'Classic Media Player 3-2-1' originally designed by Gabesk (recommended by Igor).

I do hope the WnSoft Team realise what they have in Pte 4.49, a 'Classic-Program' equally at home

with the Novice beginner and many Private & Business users.

Brian.

Ken,

I do hope the WnSoft Team realise what they have in Pte 4.49, a 'Classic-Program' equally at home

with the Novice beginner and many Private & Business users.

Brian.

If we are moving on to the PTE program versions, then I MUST agree with Brian on this one - it is absolutely essential that WNsoft retain this program. If they don't, they will regret it. As Brian says, it is a classic and will be used by many people well into the future - 20 to 30 years perhaps.

IGOR TAKE NOTE!!!

Ron

... it is absolutely essential that WNsoft retain this program ...

... 20 to 30 years perhaps ...

Ron,

Is there anything that can be accomplished with version 4 that can't be done with version 5?

Should WnSoft really adapt version 4 to future operating systems, wouldn't that be a waste of resources?

By the way: There isn't any longer a download link for version 4 on the WnSoft website.

Best regards,

Xaver

Ken,

If WnSoft would go on to offer the download of the old version, it would have to maintain the product. This is what Igor said on version 4 (August 13 2008): "...we won't issue new v4.4x versions (too old code - difficult to continue improvements)..."

Best regards,

Xaver

Xaver,

There are no improvements needed with V4.49 ~ it is as is ~ it only has one simple fault in Object Editor

namely the screen placement of 'Buttons' which tend to move around depending on Image Size. One can

live with that and select the best 'compromise' placement of Buttons after a little experience. There is no

need to update the 'old Code' it works on all Op.Systems even 64.bit Systems running in 32.bit Mode.

And dare I say - there are hundreds of other good Programs still using 'old Code' and running perfectly

and I very much doubt we are all going to drop the 32.bit PC architecture within the next 10 years !!.

You wrote:-..."Should WnSoft really adapt version 4 to future operating systems, wouldn't that be a waste

of resources?"...unquote.

Nobody is asking WnSoft to do that ~ nor to waste resources ~ just leave the Program as it is and let those

who use it, enjoy it. As to support, how many times have you seen queries about V 4.49 on the Forum? rarely

if ever because thats how good it really is. This Program fulfills a critical need for Business people in a hurry to

get a job done knowing it will work on all Win Op.Systems irrespective of the PC set-ups.

V 4.49 is a good introduction to PTE for the Novice who will move on to V.5 when they have the confidence to do so.

These are important 'simple' things which we on the Forum tend to forget. We also forget that others can not afford

the time investment in V.5 to get the same job done in the same time as V.4. (V.5 has a very steep learning curve).

And yes there is a major need for V.5 for the 'creative' Photographer and the Business Photographer and those in

CC.Competitions where PZR and other effects are now the emerging criteria ~ but one has to have the time to invest

in these activities, unfortunately the bulk of Business people simply don't have that luxury so we tend to use V 4.49.

Regards,

Brian.

Xaver,

I appreciate what you are writing and what you are saying, there is no arguement with that at all. But irrespective whether you

have never used V 4.49 and never intend to, there are those of us who would like it to stay 'On the Books' because we use it....

Thats the simple point I and others are making ~ surely thats not too much to ask !

Regards,

Brian.

if my memory serves me right, there was a belief that we would be able to use the standard version we were used to or the souped up version -- not much left of the standard version in what is being offered now

Xaver for somebody that has never used or grew up on the old version you should think about what you say -- you are using a program that a few of us have toiled over for years -- in other words you dont know what you are talking about

the date of my first letter from Igor Sun 26/11/2000 3:44 AM Re: v3.2 Pic to Exe

enough said

ken

I think that the point to consider here is whether v4.49 is a different product or an earlier version.

Microsoft, for instance, do not support earlier versions of their software although some are still in use i.e. Windows 98.

If you were to persuade Igor to keep 4.49 available as a different product then he would have to support it?

My opinion is that he would not want to do this and wants to move on. (I could be wrong).

DaveG

Providing 'Support' is a hidden cost. This is usually in terms of time spent solving problems which are distinctly peripheral to the mainstream user. This is time for which there is no commensurate return, it doesn't lead to further sales and nor does it satisfy any need in other than in a constantly reducing proportion of users. In all fairness, I think that it is unreasonable to expect ongoing support for a programme which initially cost the user a tiny amount of cash (£10 or so, from memory). You could eventually reach the silly situation where the request reads "Dear WnSoft Team, I am using DOS 6.11 and your programme doesn't work. Please fix it. Yours sincerely, A Luddite".

It would be lovely to think that the whole WnSoft team (yep, those same folks who constantly innovate and respond to requests for bigger and better) had the spare time to sort out and support what is, in reality, old technology. At some point, we simply have to accept that things have moved on and if we want to continue using 'old technology' then on our own heads be it. It may be a bitter pill to swallow, but such is life!

Phil,

Nobody is asking for 'support' of Pte 4.49 ~ We are simply asking that it be 'left on the Books' for those who use it

and considering that its 'Shareware' thats a very reasonable request.

Its nothing to do with New Technology/Old Technology nor Sales-Returns, its a simple program which works well for

hundreds who are still using it, thats the point.

Brian.Conflow.

... Xaver for somebody that has never used or grew up on the old version you should think about what you say -- you are using a program that a few of us have toiled over for years -- in other words you dont know what you are talking about

the date of my first letter from Igor Sun 26/11/2000 3:44 AM Re: v3.2 Pic to Exe

enough said ...

Your logic seems to be different from mine. This typically leads to contradictory views (at least in my logic) - why not :D

Regrads,

Xaver

Ronnie,

I agree with you, and I'm sure Ken does also ~ But in parting from this thread I would like to remind

our newer Members of the 1000's of Hours invested (for free) by the Founder Members of this Forum

in helping with the development of PTE and in helping Igor achieve his goals.

This is what good 'Shareware' is all about, and its the fruits of that past work they are enjoying today,

...Least they forget that fact!

Brian.