WnSoft Forums

Sound in Pte show

nelson

I am presenting a show in a large auditorium where the main sound controls are located in a booth away from where I will be located.

I will have time to set up prior and hopefully have the correct levels.

My question is regarding the windows that come up on your computer screen or projected image when you adjust the sound on the laptop.

Is there a way to hide this window?

If I have to tweak the sound levels part way through a show using the laptop sound control, it is very distracting to have your show super imposed

with the plus/minus sound volume window showing up while you do it.

I hope this makes some sense.

I am using vista on my laptop. I can also have the sound in and out through the projector and use the controls on the remote.

This will also bring up a window.

Thanks,

Kieron

Kieron,

To try and answer this will you describe the 'connections' you are making

betwen your PC and the Projector ~ in other words how are you connecting

your PC to the Auditorium Projector System. More details are needed and

Make & Model of your Computer.

Brian.Conflow.

I will be using the same mini jack as if using my own external speakers into a sony vaio laptop.

The projector is controlled with the laptop.

If you are watching just using a laptop and turn the sound up using F4 on the Sony the small window or bar will show up with the plus /minus graph as you toggle it up.

I also can use a volume control using a USB connection by Griffin Technologies http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/ and the same thing applies. They told me it is a Microsoft function.

I thought I could have a USB wheel to control and tweak the sound, it works great but annoying not to be able to hide the small window.

I am using a Canon projector and in their literature about volume control they state that you can control the volume with the remote and see the result on screen.

I don`t want the audience to see this.

Thanks for the reply Brian, I thought you would be the person to answer this query.

Kieron

Just another thought.

If I use my external sound system and use the Logitec volume control this will not happen as the control is downstream from the mini jack hooked into the computer.

This would be similar to using the volume control using external speakers on your PC that has an off/on switch and volume control to adjust your sound.

It seems to me that I would have to use an external sound card with a volume control and hook the connection into this?

There sound system converts down to a mini jack for hook up into laptops.

Thanks,

Kieron

If you go to a local music shop or market stall specializing in electronics you MIGHT be able to get a small, inexpensive mixer with volume controls to insert between the laptop and the incoming lead with mini jack.

Also get a mini jack to 1/4 inch adaptor if the mixer has 1/4 inch inputs as well as a suitable lead/adaptor to go from the mixer to the laptop. You can then control to signal without having any sign of it on screen.

It should not be too expensive and will come in handy for the next time.

Hum COULD be a problem but it's worth a try - mine's a Roland/Boss 6 channel stereo mixer but it is overkill for the job.

DaveG

I use a Turtle Beach "Audio Advantage" USB device that has a volume and mute wheel on it for just your purpose. You can control the volume from the wheel and nothing shows up on-screen. Sound is better than the headphone jack you're now using - completely clean and clear. The only caveat is - how far away is the control booth? I'd say the AudioAdvantage is cheap enough to just go ahead and get, but for more than a 20 foot run to the control booth, I'd do some testing too.

I don't know why the Griffon device affects the screen. All I can say is the AudioAdvantage doesn't.

Guest Yachtsman1
I use a Turtle Beach "Audio Advantage" USB device that has a volume and mute wheel on it for just your purpose. You can control the volume from the wheel and nothing shows up on-screen. Sound is better than the headphone jack you're now using - completely clean and clear. The only caveat is - how far away is the control booth? I'd say the AudioAdvantage is cheap enough to just go ahead and get, but for more than a 20 foot run to the control booth, I'd do some testing too.

I don't know why the Griffon device affects the screen. All I can say is the AudioAdvantage doesn't.

The Behringer UCA 202 sound card plugs into your USB socket has a volume control wheel & costs around £30 and gives an interferance free connection. I bought mine to get away from the headphone socket on my laptop.

Yachtsman1

I'm with Dave on this one. Using a freestanding mixer allows you to not only work worry-free of dealing with MS issues, but it also protects you from keyboard/mousing mistakes while the show is running. A basic mixer is a great tool for this. And, if you don't want to buy one, you can probably rent one pretty cheap.

Larry

Kieron,

The fact that the 'Auditorium Sound-Booth' is some distance from your PC and from the Projector

can give problems with USB Interconnect-Devices particularily from 'Lighting-Controllers' in large

Auditoriums in the form of contineous transient-spikes and Hum from these Controllers.

What you need is a DC.Powered 'Floating-Mixer' powered from its own internal Battery and can also

be powered from a Mains-Adaptor. (These work best from their own internal Battery ~ very low noise).

A 'Floating-Mixer' presents equal load on all Input cables so its a (self-cancelling) Anti-Noise System

somewhat like Professional 600.Ohm (Balanced) Sound-cables.

In the past I have used the 'Maplin 4-Channel Micro-Mixer' to great effect. It has 4 Dual-Channel Inputs

which can be organised as 2x Stereo Mic Inputs and 2x Stereo Line Inputs or as 8 Channel Mono Mixer

It has individual Vol.Controls per CH. and 2 x Stereo Master-Faders. I checked up, its still available in Maplin.

The beauty of this little Tool is that you can 'trim' the Volume of each CH and Master-Fade the Soundtrack

whilst you are giving a 'Voice-Over Commentary' ~ all in Stereo. (The Unit is quite small and handy).

It does require some additional Cables and the lad's in Maplin-Electronics can 'knowledgably' advise on these.

Tip: You should fill in your Personal-profile as we don't know what Country you live in, reference to Maplin)

Hope this helps...

Brian.Conflow.

Product Sheet below...

post-1416-1237839742_thumb.png

Thanks Brian,

I have updated my profile and will do a search in Canada or the U.S. for a similar device. It looks pretty slick and the price is right.

Thanks again to everyone,

Kieron

Kieron and Stateside Members,

I have found an excellent 'Sound-Mixer' at one of our suppliers "B&H Photo Video".New York USA.

You Photographers might like to have a look at their Home Page ~ prepare to be surprised!!

Link:- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5262...#specifications

It far exceeeds the quality of the UK.Maplin Mixer (shown above) and at $79 its a 'steal'. It also

has Headphone-Output and Professional XLR-Connectors and is Battery powered. This Unit can

also handle Phantom-Powered Microphones as well as Pro-Stereo Mics and Line-Level Inputs.

(B&H Photovideo also have a 'UsedDepartment' and they ship all over the World).

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1237891016_thumb.png

post-1416-1237891041_thumb.png

post-1416-1237891052_thumb.png

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate the advice.

Kieron

Kieron,

You can go for a low tech solution.Just get an attenuator for the headphone jack on your laptop.

See here http://tinyurl.com/dct7dc

It is just a small extension lead for headphones. Plug in to your jack socket on your laptop and the socket of the attenuator

to the plug for your Projector/amp.

Keep the audio output of your laptop set to high and wind down the volume control to say 75%.

Adjust the sound on your projector/amp to give you a reasonable volume.Being able to adjust the small

volume control will give you some scope/headroom during the show.

Mixers are useful in some circumstances,but no need here and avoid if you can,as the cheap ones just introduce more noise.

There's loads of different makes of these things,but the one above should be of good enough quality.

The output from the 3.5mm / 1/8" socket is pretty healthy,and in fact borders on too healthy for some

inputs,so a passive attenuator isn't a bad thing.

Davy

Davy and DaveG,

Guys, have you forgotten that Kieron is a long way from the Sound-Booth in this Auditorium

and its that Booth which controls the Amplification etc; The 'resistor-pad' solution is only good

for a few feet before it picks up Hum & Noise from the Auditoriums' electrics...thats not good !!

Brian.

I have placed an order for the Galaxy and will let you know how it works.

I still have a month to finish my show.

Thanks again for everyones input,

Kieron

As a side note, I have got carried away and have made the show quite complex.

When running it on my Sony laptop I was not satisfied with some of the transitions and I think something may have been running in the background.

The laptop is a core duo, not dual core.

I have purchased a used Shuttle small form factor computer from my local computer guy at a very reasonable price.

It is very light and it runs the program smooth as silk, no more laptop headaches and cheaper than purchasing a newer laptop.

Davy and DaveG,

Guys, have you forgotten that Kieron is a long way from the Sound-Booth in this Auditorium

and its that Booth which controls the Amplification etc; The 'resistor-pad' solution is only good

for a few feet before it picks up Hum & Noise from the Auditoriums' electrics...thats not good !!

Brian.

Brian

Putting a cheapo mixer in the loop is where additional noise comes from.Hiss, hum & electronic

degradation of signal.Total overkill in this situation.

If there is noise pick up, due to poor cable screening,then it is there, whether you use an Attenuator or mixer.

As I said, the audio output is healthy enough from a laptop.As long as the cable run is not massive and is of a decent enough quality,I would see no problems at all.

I can run cables over long distances carrying about 1/100th of the output power of the laptop.

Not a mixer in sight!

Davy

Try it and see? I'm not a big fan of doing something like this without a trial run though.

I'm not used to having to deal with HUM and NOISE problems - I use a LOW IMPEDANCE instrument and cable length is not a problem.

The way I see it - in this case the whole thing will depend on the cable supplied from the Sound Booth to the Laptop anyway - no choice?

DaveG

My question is regarding the windows that come up on your computer screen or projected image when you adjust the sound on the laptop.

Is there a way to hide this window?

If I have to tweak the sound levels part way through a show using the laptop sound control, it is very distracting to have your show super imposed with the plus/minus sound volume window showing up while you do it.

Anyone tried using Volumouse software (free on web )

Useful little utility if your laptop doesn't have a volume control wheel

May not be what you need here but could be useful at times. :D

Kieron,

You wrote..."I have purchased a used Shuttle small form factor Computer from my local computer guy at a very reasonable price.

It is very light and it runs the program smooth as silk"...

Kieron that was a clever move and it's the proper way to go. Best of luck with the Shuttle PC and the Galaxy and should you want

any help with these just send me a PM. As you know we Manufacture Sound Systems for Irish Railways so we can advise on the

most 'bizarre' of Auditorium Installations ~ we have seen them all. (Photo below).

I see your're from Sarnia Ontario, by any chance do you know Ken Cox he also lives in Sarnia ? he is one of the 'Founding Fathers'

of this Forum and a great source of Pte 'knowhow' should you come unstuck.

Best regards,

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1238101864_thumb.jpg

completely off topic - Sorry!

But have you tried Spiffytext for titles ? :blink::D:)

http://www.spiffytext.com/

ALBRIGHT-spiffytext.jpg

Hi, Maureen and Ken,

Aptly named site. I can imagine the spiffy slideshow titles.

You have both pointed me toward useful resources.

Best wishes, David White

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up to my concern about the volume control showing as an overlay on the screen.

As stated, I am now using the shuttle pc for my shows and microsoft xp.

The other advantage to this way of doing things for me, is that I can make adjustments, or new transitions, and see exactly what will happen.

Prior to this I would do everything on my other computer and transfer it to the laptop.

The sound control overlay does not show up using this unit.

It must be a vista control or somehow related to my sony laptop.

The galaxy has not turned up as yet from the supplier, probably held up at customs.

Thanks again,

Kieron