WnSoft Forums

"A Bridge Too Far" ?

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi All

Last night I gave a slide show to the local WI. It was my first full show since adopting 5.6. I showed 8 short (6-10 minute) shows some produced with 5.5 some 5.6 all now using 5.6. I used my own laptop & projector. On a couple of the shows I saw signs of the dreaded "stuttering" during certain effects such as long pans & the page curling effect. I don't think my audience noticed the problems and they didn't show up on a couple of the shows. This didn't happen to my past shows with 5.5. My equipment is a Samsung G15 laptop with 3.8gb Ram, an ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 graphics card, a Nobo X17E projector set to the brightest setting. The lamp has only about 10 hours on it. I can't see the faults on my laptop screen when not connected to the projector. The shows were installed on my hard drive.:(

Yachtsman1

Eric,

I think that Dave's remark (running the projector while switching off the notebook monitor) is a good one. You also may have noticed that there exist several threads in this forum (mostly related to the Canon SX 50) which indicate that presentations which run excellently on a PC monitor can show bad effects on particular projectors. So, did you test your shows using the projector, or did you only test them with your monitor? I would always recommend to test a presentation using exactly the same equipment as it is planned to be used during the final show.

Best regards,

Xaver

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

Your "problem" interests me.

Did you have both the laptop monitor AND the projector on at the same time?

Did you try it with the laptop monitor OFF and have just the projector active?

DaveG

Hi Dave

Yes the L/T monitor was on at the same time as the projector, not sure on my L/T how to just have the projector on. Saying all that, the shows were previously OK on 5.5 with both on, apart from one which was built on 5.6.

Regards Eric

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi Yachtsman1,

Some time ago I had the same problem. After weeks of despair and research it seemed that the flow supplies in that particular building were to blame..

regards,

Henri.

Hi Henri

I did consider that as a possibility, the building is an old Methodist hall. I could be using that venue again, unfortunately all the voltage test equipment I had in my past life has now gone, so I can't check that out.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1,

I always switch off my laptop screen when doing public shows.

It is achieved on my laptop using function key and F8. If different,

it is the key is marked in blue "CRT/LCD". Pressing the key

repeatedly cycles from both on, projector only, laptop only.

I find it a good idea to restore to laptop only before logging off.

Hope this is helpfull.

Roger

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

I think that Dave's remark (running the projector while switching off the notebook monitor) is a good one. You also may have noticed that there exist several threads in this forum (mostly related to the Canon SX 50) which indicate that presentations which run excellently on a PC monitor can show bad effects on particular projectors. So, did you test your shows using the projector, or did you only test them with your monitor? I would always recommend to test a presentation using exactly the same equipment as it is planned to be used during the final show.

Best regards,

Xaver

Hi Xaver

I always read the threads on equipment problems as that would influence whether I go for a later version of PTE, and I contributed to the one you mentioned. I did a brief test on with all my equipment connected as I have seen some bad situations when a hiccup occurs with visiting presenters. Maybe next time a more thorough test would be better. If someone would come up with a short test show using the features of the latest version of PTE, as requested months ago, this would eliminate some of the problems people have when up-grading.

Regards Eric

Hi Eric,

"If someone would come up with a short test show using the features of the latest version of PTE, as requested months ago, this would eliminate some of the problems people have when up-grading".

I have come to believe that having someone else to do this and then trying it on your own machine is meaningless.

I honestly believe that you have to do this for yourself using the resolution of your setup as a basic starting point.

I have tried to drive my system as hard as possible and have yet to find a set of parameters which cause it problems. However, I have tried other peoples shows which did give rise for concern. Why?

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1
Yachtsman1,

I always switch off my laptop screen when doing public shows.

It is achieved on my laptop using function key and F8. If different,

it is the key is marked in blue "CRT/LCD". Pressing the key

repeatedly cycles from both on, projector only, laptop only.

I find it a good idea to restore to laptop only before logging off, .

Hope this is helpfull.

Roger

Hi Roger

I've always used the clone setting on my L/T which is activated by using FN/F4 and scrolling to clone. I've now just checked my manual and the only way I can see to switch off the laptop screen is to use the CRT only setting, which I haven't previously tried but seem to think the projector doesn't receive the signal on that setting. I will need to get the projector connected before I can activate the setting which I will do later today. Thanks for the pointer.

PS There is a typo on the instructions for the monitor, FT should read FN. even the mighty get it wrong sometimes.

Regards Eric

post-5560-1239280160_thumb.jpg

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi Eric,

"If someone would come up with a short test show using the features of the latest version of PTE, as requested months ago, this would eliminate some of the problems people have when up-grading".

I have come to believe that having someone else to do this and then trying it on your own machine is meaningless.

I honestly believe that you have to do this for yourself using the resolution of your setup as a basic starting point.

I have tried to drive my system as hard as possible and have yet to find a set of parameters which cause it problems. However, I have tried other peoples shows which did give rise for concern. Why?

DaveG

Hi Dave

I think your last para is a question for the great and the good at WNsoft. Also when people are buying new or simply up-grading they need to know beforehand if their equipment is capable of using the latest version. Many people wouldn't know how to produce a "ball breaker" to test their gear, particularly new-comers.

Regards Eric.

Guest Yachtsman1

Good News

I switched of the LT monitor & tried the shows with problems, stuttering gone!!! However, I still believe that further development of PTE that stretches equipmet capability is only for those with the must have mantra.

Thanks to all who suggested solutions, it's still the best software and forum, the setting for my equipment is FN/F4 CRT. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yachtsman1

Eric.

However, I still believe that further development of PTE that stretches equipmet capability is only for those with the must have mantra.

I get just a little tired of hearing the repetitious grumbles, from various forum members in this and other posts, about the features of the new versions of PTE not working on older equipment.

Allow me to make one very obvious, but all too often overlooked, point here, please: nobody compels anyone to exploit all the new function of each new release of PTE. If there's a particular feature of PTE that your system can't handle, then don't use it! But if you are desperate to use that function, accept the fact that you will have to replace your system or upgrade it to a level that is appropriate.

regards,

Peter

Yachtsman1,

However, I still believe that further development of PTE that stretches equipmet capability is only for those with the must have mantra.

Actually your video equipment meets the bare minimum ... so there is not much stretching that can go on.

Your On-Board X1250 video has 128MB with shared memory ... and if you have Vista with Aero destop you have a few more hits against your performance.

I agree with Peter, you will either have to quit updating PTE versions to use ... or start updating your equipment.

... If someone would come up with a short test show using the features of the latest version of PTE, as requested months ago, this would eliminate some of the problems people have when up-grading...

Eric,

maybe you expect a little bit too much. One function of this forum is to help others, and this really worked within this thread, I think. But there cannot be something like a legal claim for particular services. There will always be new versions, and who should be responsible for providing the appropriate test shows. Each user has her/his own responsibility.

Best regards,

Xaver

Guest Yachtsman1

I am a little surprised at the last few posts in this thread, however I do note that they are from what I term as super users, who obviously are not interested in the run of the mill user such as me. If I had some method of testing 5.6 before using it and found my equipment lacking, I would have either up-graded to meet the new version or stuck with what I have. As I am on a fixed income and can't afford everything new on the market, I would not have downloaded the newer version.

What about the newcomers to PTE who have no idea if their equipment can handle the software???, no mention of them.

Nobeefstu, I use XP3 SP3 as I believe the majority of us still do, so blaming Vista is not an issue, the system worked with 5.5 with the monitor on, with 5.6 with the monitor on it's flawed. Monitor off it works, conclusion, my equipment is on the brink, so I won't be downloading any further up-grades unless I win the lottery or my Premium bonds come up.

"The moving finger writes & having writ moves on". :(

Yachtsman1.

... my equipment is on the brink, so I won't be downloading any further up-grades unless I win the lottery ...

Sorry, but this does not seem to be a good decision. New versions can mean improvements, bugs will be fixed, and new features will show up. Some new features will have a demand for better hardware, maybe others not. I myself do not have a high end graphic system, and I have to be careful using masks. I still hesitate regarding an upgrade, as my machine works quite well as it is; so why making a change? Some people try to make others believe that AV has to include all kinds of effects which actually is not the case. Good photos, good ideas and stories, and coherent presentations are much more important than any kind of of hardware demanding razzle-dazzle.

Best regards,

Xaver

...who obviously are not interested in the run of the mill user such as me.

Eric,

Nothing could be further from the truth.

We all of us have to work within the limitations of our present equipment and our financial constraints. But it is only by pushing our knowledge and equipment to the limit that we "super-users" (a term I detest) find out just what PTE can and cannot do. And that is also how we discover just what resources are needed to do all the fancy "gee-whizz" stuff.

If I had some method of testing 5.6 before using it...

You did have! Version 5.6 co-exists along side version 5.5. If you didn't like v5.6, you should have uninstalled it and stayed with v5.5.

As I am on a fixed income and can't afford everything new on the market...

So are most of us, I expect! Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Be satisfied with what you have; and learn how to get the most out of it.

Some people try to make others believe that AV has to include all kinds of effects which actually is not the case. Good photos, good ideas and stories, and coherent presentations are much more important than any kind of of hardware demanding razzle-dazzle.

Xaver,

I couldn't have put it better myself. 95% of all my transistions are simple fades. If the "third image" is a messy one, then I'll try "Page - Top to bottom", "Page - Left-to-right" or "Circle - From centre". I have over 30 sequences and only five of them have any animation. It isn't the "chromium, bells and whistles" that make a good AV: it is the story being told and the quality of the images and the suitability of the accompanying music that makes for good AV sequences.

regards,

Peter

Without disagreeing with ANYTHING that has been said could I perhaps pose Eric's question / query / problem in a slightly different way?

Is there any difference between using 5.6 and using 5.5 (or even 4.49) IF none of the bells and whistles of 5.6 (basic operation) are used and would the 5.6 version run any slower on any given machine?

Having a machine which copes with all/most of what you throw at it puts you in a position where you are not able to tell just where the line is drawn. I would suggest that the "line" is different for each and every one of us.

It does not seem to be a level playing field.

It comes back to a recent question which, to my mind, was not answered in full:

Will 5.6 suit all levels of experience (and hardware if used in BASIC mode) or is there a case for keeping 4.49 and/or 5.5?

DaveG

Dave

my previous thoughts stay the same

if you have shows made prior to ver 5 keep 4.49 -- for it's simplicity of use alone -- and can be used for a training tool

keep the last ver 5.5 that works for you

use 5.6 as experimental until it proves itself

ken

With respect Ken, that doesn't answer the question posed here.

CAN 5.6 be used for basic shows as a replacement for 4.49 / 5.5 or is there something (in basic mode) which requires more "engine power" to do the SIMPLE tasks?

Forget about the complexities of the added features and the unintuitive interface for a moment (I don't necessarily agree with the unintuitive bit but........).

DaveG

I generally don't get into these types of threads but I had to post one here. I just don't understand why I have no problems with any versions. I would be interested to have a copy of any show that a member is having problems with. Not just the pte file. The whole thing. I could play it on my equipment and see if I had a problem with it. Wouldn't this be the best way to test for the origin of a problem?

Guest Yachtsman1

Peter

This forum is for all levels of users or possible users of PTE. while there are gaps in the information that comes with the software it is up to all users to report any anomolies found. If they choose not to do so, that is their affair, I choose to do so. So while the wrtitten information on how to use the software and what to expect when things go wrong is lacking, I will continue to do so. I have mentioned before, the available instructions have many holes on certain procedures, so I think getting them up to date is a bigger priority than than the continual striving to stretch it's capabilities.

Just take a look at the "System Requirements" page of the current manual. My system fufills that requirement. I rest my case.

Yachtsman1