WnSoft Forums

Slideshow size problem

armavista

Hi everybody,

I'd like to create a fullscreen slideshow for my 22" widescreen (resolution : 1680x1050). The photos in my slideshow are 3072x2304.

I tried to modify the options in "Project Options/Screen/Screen and slide" but i can't get what i want. :unsure:

If i use a virtual size of slide, the pictures in the slideshow are cut down, the lower and upper edge don't show.

If i use a fixed size of slide of 3072x2304, the slideshow is not completely fullscreen (even if the fullscreen box is ticked).

Can someone help me ?

Many thanks,

Do the maths. The aspect ratio of your images is different from that of your monitor. You will never achieve a perfect "every part of the image visible with no black bands" fit.

You are trying to achieve the impossible. 1680/1050 = 1.6; 3072/2304 = 1.333 QED

regards,

Peter

Hi,

There are two issues. Your originals should be resized or you may run into issues with resources depending on the computer you run these on.

The second issue is aspect ratio. Your photos are in a different aspect ratio than your display. Digital cameras such as yours create a 4/3 aspect ratio (3072/2304 is as 4/3). The display has an aspect ratio of 16:9.

Set your aspect ratio for your slideshow to 16:9 then you will have to crop some of the image out to completely fill the screen. The 4:3 aspect ratio of your images means that if you fill the screen from top to bottom there will be black showing on either side of your display. If you expand the size of the images to fill the sides then you will have crops at the top and bottom. There is no way around this.

One way to deal with it is to take your images into Photoshop and resize them to about 1600 on the horizontal aspect and let the vertical take care of itself. This will get the image size down to something which won't tax the system. Once you have done this, just fill the vertical aspect in Objects and animations and position the images for the best possible content.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Most high end widescreen TV's have variable aspect ratio and an auto setting, I set mine to auto, size my pics to 1024x768 and they view fine with no computer re-source problem if I switch off the laptop monitor, & no black bands.

Yachtsman1

Why not just use the crop tool in Photoshop, to resize you images to the same size as your monitor. You will lose some of the original image but at least you get to choose what to lose.

Ron

Well...

Thanks for the answer, i guess you did not understand.

It has nothing to do with maths. I don't want a real "full screen", i can realize you can't view in real "full screen" a 4:3 photo on a 16:9 screen...

But i would like to get rid of the upper and lower black bands, which means to be able to get the equivalent of a 4:3 fullcreen (with black bands on boths sides on my 16:9 screen).

When i use a fixed size of slide of 3072x2304 (fullscreen box ticked), why do i get upper and lower black bands???

Thanks to whoever could tell me how to get this done.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I read the more cofused I am.....

I have always reduced my photos to 1024x768 in photoshop.

On my old TV the slideshow looked fine and was very smooth.

I now have a 52" widescreen TV. I have lost some quality due

to the size of the TV. My photos also looked stretched out

and distorted.

1) What can I reduce the size of my photos (3072x2304 or 1920 x1440)to without stalling the program?

I know in the past if I went over 1024x768 the program would stall when watching it on my TV.

2) What ratio should I use? I currently use 4:3 and have PicToExe version 5.6

3) I use Ulead DVD Factory to create the DVDs. Is there an easier and more reliable way to do this out of PicToExe?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks, Jason

Jason,

As I understand it, no matter what size TV you have, if you convert your PTE sequence to a DVD Video and then play it back through a DVD player attached to your TV you get only the usual NTSC or PAL/SECAM resolution (depending on where in the world you live) which is down in the region of 700x500 pixels. I believe your large TV is wasted trying to get good quality images from a DVD-Video file. I suspect you would be better off connecting the TV directly to your PC via DVI or HDMI interfaces (if your graphics card supports either of these). Others more qualified than I will no doubt correct me if I wrong and will set you on the right path.

Re "stalling the program" - PTE can handle any size of image you care to give it. If your PC is stalling it isn't PTE's fault, it's your PC's way of telling you that it has insufficient resource to do what you've asked it to.

Have you investigated the Video-Builder component of PTE to do the DVD video burn? It is much simpler than using an external burner program.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

My computer never stalled with the larger images, only when I put the slideshow on DVD and played it through my TV.

This was years ago when I first purchased PicsToExe and was told the largest file size I should use was 1024x768.

Does it pay to go to a larger size.....1920x1440?

I haven't checked out the Video-Builder, as I have just upgraded to 5.3 the other day.

I will try it tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks for your help.

Jason

Jason,

As I understand it, no matter what size TV you have, if you convert your PTE sequence to a DVD Video and then play it back through a DVD player attached to your TV you get only the usual NTSC or PAL/SECAM resolution (depending on where in the world you live) which is down in the region of 700x500 pixels. I believe your large TV is wasted trying to get good quality images from a DVD-Video file. I suspect you would be better off connecting the TV directly to your PC via DVI or HDMI interfaces (if your graphics card supports either of these). Others more qualified than I will no doubt correct me if I wrong and will set you on the right path.

Re "stalling the program" - PTE can handle any size of image you care to give it. If your PC is stalling it isn't PTE's fault, it's your PC's way of telling you that it has insufficient resource to do what you've asked it to.

Have you investigated the Video-Builder component of PTE to do the DVD video burn? It is much simpler than using an external burner program.

regards,

Peter

Jason.

I now have a 52" widescreen TV. I have lost some quality due to the size of the TV. My photos also looked stretched out and distorted.

Try building and burning your DVD slideshow to match the widescreen ratio of your new 52inch TV. 1024x768 is a 4:3 ratio and best suits older TV screens.

Jason,

Aspect ratio is simply the ratio between the width and the height. So, if your TV is 48" wide and 30" high its aspect ratio is 16:10. For a widescreen TV the likely aspect ratios are 16:9 or 16:10. The Specifications page of the User Manual might give you the answer and should certainly give you the native resolution (in pixels by pixels). It is these numbers (the pixel counts) that you really want to know, because these are the values you should use to re-size your images so they fill your TV screen.

regards,

Peter

I have covered this numerous times.

If you make an MPEG4 of your show at 1920x1080, or 1366x768 (depending on the res of your tv) you will get a show which "equals" the corresponding show on your laptop/desktop in terms of quality and aspect ratio.

The caveat to this is that the said laptop/desktop should be connected to the tv via an HDMI connection. If you only have DVI you will need audio leads as well. The PC will set to the same res as the TV.

Make the PTE show at Fullscreen - 16:9 and insert your 4:3 images (either 1080 pixels high or 768 pixels high) and they will then fill the HEIGHT of the TV screen with black bands to left and right.

Using images which are 3072x2304 pixels is OVERKILL unless you are doing a lot of ZOOMING. They only need to be 1080 OR 768 pixels high for this application and, providing that you do the interpolation downwards properly in Photoshop or similar, you will see absolutely no difference in quality but a big difference in the performance.

Don't assume because your tv says "HD" on the front that it is 1920x1080 - check the manual. Usually TVs over 26"-30" are 1920x1080 and "most" 26" TVs (or smaller) are 1366x768.

PC Monitors can be 16:10 or 16:9 - I haven't come across a TV in the 16:10 aspect ratio.

DaveG

Peter,

Thanks for the information. I shall do some reading tonight when I get home.

Much appreciated.

Jason

Jason,

Aspect ratio is simply the ratio between the width and the height. So, if your TV is 48" wide and 30" high its aspect ratio is 16:10. For a widescreen TV the likely aspect ratios are 16:9 or 16:10. The Specifications page of the User Manual might give you the answer and should certainly give you the native resolution (in pixels by pixels). It is these numbers (the pixel counts) that you really want to know, because these are the values you should use to re-size your images so they fill your TV screen.

regards,

Peter