WnSoft Forums

3D Simulation in 2D space and question....

Lin Evans

An interesting illusion of 3D simulation in 2D image achieved with (Tom will recognize this) the light reflection position. The object (actually a phonograph platter) appears to reveal 360 degrees along the horizontal aspect as if it turns in space. Actually the same side is always seen.

When playing with this, I observed that on my high res CRT monitor I have a clean view of the leading and trailing edge with slight ghosting following the movement due to phosphor refresh and retention time. However, on my LCD display, the leading and trailing edge are dissolved during rotation as if the object is dematerializing.

Just wondering about how it appears to others who have LCD displays with varying refresh capabilities?

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sample/3Dsimulation.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Tom,

I actually didn't see any fading on my CRT which has a pretty fast refresh and low persistence phosphors; just a bit of a trailing ghosting like a plasma trail, but both leading and trailing edge of the disc on the LCD were quite evident.

Nice job on the extrusion - you could have fooled me! (you did fool me - LOL), it makes a great phonograph platter!

The interesting thing is that this highlights some of the issues which might be misunderstood by people watching slideshows which have objects in fast motion. What may seem perfect to the person creating the show might be seen in a totally different light by others who have different displays. Since LCD displays are becoming much more popular these days than CRT displays, we must take care when creating animations that they don't exceed proprietary bounds for viewing on disparate monitors.

Best regards,

Lin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lin,

Sorry I'm a little late coming to this thread. On my 60Hz refresh-rate LCD monitor the moving disc does seem to have blurred edges. But this seemed perfectly natural to me as I watched it the first time. It was only after reading Tom's post and re-running the file with some pauses that I realised how sharp the disc object was.

But surely what we are seeing here is what we would actually see in reality. If that disc was a real disc, set up so that it performed the same motion in the air in front of our faces, I think we would see its edges as being slightly soft. After all, why did we introduce some blur into our still photographs in order to suggest motion? Because that was how our brain, through the datastream of our Mk.1 eyeballs "saw" the real motion.

regards,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...