WnSoft Forums

Isles of Mull and Iona

Hello Maureen

Superb shots, great sceneries !

Very good lights with some awsome skies, when blue or grey !

A few carribean blue seas, with, I suppose, nearly antarctical cold waters :rolleyes:

The very last slide and the music terminates a bit abruptly but, for me, a keeper and a sequence I will see again with pleasure

Thanks for sharing

Patrick

Hello Maureen

Superb shots, great sceneries !

Very good lights with some awsome skies, when blue or grey !

A few carribean blue seas, with, I suppose, nearly antarctical cold waters :rolleyes:

The very last slide and the music terminates a bit abruptly but, for me, a keeper and a sequence I will see again with pleasure

Thanks for sharing

Patrick

Hi Patrick - thanks for taking the trouble to comment. I agree with what you say about the finish and may decide to have another go at it.

Maureen

I also enjoyed it - it's a place that is high on my list of places I MUST see before........

Being Hyper-critical I found the variation in the heights of some of the images/slides a little off-putting?

Otherwise - excellent.

DaveG

I also enjoyed it - it's a place that is high on my list of places I MUST see before........

Being Hyper-critical I found the variation in the heights of some of the images/slides a little off-putting?

Otherwise - excellent.

DaveG

Thanks Dave for your comments.

I'm not quite sure just why this is happening about the difference in image heights. I did think that maybe I had cropped slightly to straighten a horizon but it is not the case here. However, the images were taken on two different camers - a Nikon D80 and Nikon D300. On now checking the image sizes (after re-sizing) I find that the Nikon D80 gives me a size of 1024x685 and the D300 1024x680 hence the very slight variation in image heights.

I know I can avoid this by not 'bordering' the images but my preference is very much for borders so it is obviously something I am going to have to watch in future.

I have just put a lot of work into another a/v, also using both cameras, so the same problem occurs. I am not putting it out yet as I want to look at it again in a few weeks' time.

Once again thanks, Dave, for pointing this out. We are looking forward to coming over to Ireland in less than a month's time. Just hope we are lucky with the weather.

Maureen

Hello Maureen,

I’ve just downloaded your sequence and I must say I’m much impressed.

My wife and I are planning a tour of Scotland and Cumbria in the next week or so (as soon as the school break is over).

Top of our places to visit is the Isle of Mull and in particular Tobermory to photograph the brightly coloured Homes.

We will also be visiting Fionnphort to see if I can get a picture of the Isle of Iona from the west shore.

After seeing you sequence I’ve been inspired to produce one of my own.

Our trip will end at Inverness, and then it’s the trip home to Runcorn via an overnight stay at Glasgow.

I only hope that my memory card is as full with good images as yours.

Thank you for sharing.

Tom.

Maureen,

Why not create a crop tool to do your re-sizing?

That way they will always be the same resolution/aspect ratio no matter which camera the image comes from.

You may have noticed that there is not a suitable 3:2 crop for a 1024 wide image (1024x683.333333333333333).

I would use 1026x684 and fit to screen in PTE - that way your crop is a perfect 3:2.

DaveG

Hi Tom

Thanks for your generous comments. I'm sure you will enjoy Mull - it is beautiful and very peaceful. Keep a look out for otters. We were very lucky in capturing a sequence on video whilst they were playing on the shore of the lochs. Unfortunately I didn't have a lens with enough reach to capture some stills.

Hopefully the weather will be kind to you - we didn't fare so well. Will look forward to seeing your a/v.

Have a good time.

Best wishes

Maureen

Maureen,

Why not create a crop tool to do your re-sizing?

That way they will always be the same resolution/aspect ratio no matter which camera the image comes from.

You may have noticed that there is not a suitable 3:2 crop for a 1024 wide image (1024x683.333333333333333).

I would use 1026x684 and fit to screen in PTE - that way your crop is a perfect 3:2.

DaveG

Thanks, Dave. I've made a note of that and will certainly give it a go. It will save a lot of hassle when creating future shows. Have been going through my latest one and it seems that all the D80 ones are at the beginning and the D300 ones follow on - they are not mixed so hopefully it won't be as noticeable. Don't think I have the patience to go through it all that one again. Advice always welcome.

Thanks again

Maureen

Hi Maureen, I only noticed the size difference the once, minor tweak will make it perfect. I enjoyed the scenery and was only put off by the music, Erin means Ireland, there is also a well known version called 'Paddy's green shamrock shore'. So kept on wondering what the link to Ireland was, and was it to do with the early church sites on Iona. Perhaps some Sottish music might be more appropriate? Of course, perhaps only the Irish would notice in the first place!

All in all another great show, well enjoyed by folk at my camera club.

Hi Maureen, I only noticed the size difference the once, minor tweak will make it perfect. I enjoyed the scenery and was only put off by the music, Erin means Ireland, there is also a well known version called 'Paddy's green shamrock shore'. So kept on wondering what the link to Ireland was, and was it to do with the early church sites on Iona. Perhaps some Sottish music might be more appropriate? Of course, perhaps only the Irish would notice in the first place!

All in all another great show, well enjoyed by folk at my camera club.

Hi Mark - Thanks for your comments and so pleased your Club enjoyed it. Wish we could get our club more into a/v!

As regards the music, I did a bit of 'research' on Google as I wanted to know who had composed 'Erin's Green Shore' and came across 'Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore' there. The music I used is on a CD of music by a Scots Pipe band and is, of course, mainly Scottish. I knew Erin was Ireland (I have Irish ancestry) but I thought the music suited the show well. As you say, perhaps only the Irish would notice!

Regards

Maureen