WnSoft Forums

"Unable to create file with presentation"

goddi

Greetings,

I had this problem before with my previous slideshow. When I go to Create the EXE, it will work the 1st time or 2nd time, but after that, I get the error message: "Unable to create file with presentation". The only solution is to reboot. Then it happens over and over again. The slideshow at the moment is large...about 1200 slides. Just got back from a long trip so I am trying to reduce the size. But this large show is apparently taxing my system. The first time I had this problem, it just disappeared after a while.

I've had suspicions that it has to do with my RAM in my WinXP PC.

I ran the HIC's Memtest.exe program and it came up with a couple errors in the RAM. It can not tell me which module. An example of the error message is below:

"Memory error detected. Copying between 1f0ec00 and 1f0eb9e did not result in accurate copy.

Memtest has detected that you computer cannot accurately store data in RAM."

I ran the Crucial's memory scan program. It says I have 4 512MB DDR PC3200 and it recommends putting in 4GB. However, it also states that Windows 32 bit version will recognize "only 3GB or 3.5GB". I am looking at a local store to purchase the RAM and they sell Kingston 1GB modules at $43.99 per module.

So my question is, what is the best way around this to work with large PTE shows. I am thinking of just replacing all of my RAM just to be safe but just putting in 2 1GB modules to see how things work. Would it be a waste to eventually put in 4GBs if Windows XP does not recognize all 4GBs? Is this true? Is there any particular characteristic/brand of different RAM modules that I should avoid or look for??? The RAM that Crucial seems to be recommending is "DDR PC3200, CL=3, Unbuffered, NON-ECC, DDR400, 2.6V".

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary,

You sure do know how to pick 'em, don't you!

I've no experience of these sorts of problems nor of the diagnostic tools that you've used. However, that message seems clear cut to me: yes, your RAM has a fault. Whether or not that fault affects the running software will depend entirely upon how the RAM is getting allocated out by the operating system. So the fact that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't is not entirely unexpected.

When you say you have rebooted, was that a warm reboot (without a power down) or a cold reboot (after a power down)? Some problems require a power-down in order to get the system fully reset to state zero, others will be rectified by a warm reboot.

In your case, though, that is rather academic as the evidence says your hardware is faulty - so that's the line of attack to follow.

If I were in your position, although fitting memory is an easy job, I think I would get a local PC firm to do it for me - and I'd ask them to give the system a good shake-down check-over whilst they have it on the bench. If it has one fault it might just have others.

regards,

Peter

Thanks, Peter and Stu...

I am just not completely sure that it is so clear. I have run my SystemSuite diagnostic on my RAM and it showed no problem. The Memtest.exe did show some problems. I just ran the Windows Memory Test that made 32 passes and showed no problems. I guess the only way to really be sure is to just swap out the memory and see what happens.

I wish there was a sure fired RAM test that I could trust. New RAM is not that expensive so I might just give it a try. I don't have any problems putting in the RAM myself. I've done it before. The error message I get with PTE seems to be a PTE message so I was hoping that Igor could decipher it.

Thanks... Gary

==================

Gary,

Here is another tool from Microsoft to test your RAM that may be of help to you.

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

**Note: To run Windows Memory Diagnostic, you must first set up Windows Memory Diagnostic on a 3.5-inch floppy disk or CD-ROM.

Gary,

I am just not completely sure that it is so clear. I have run my SystemSuite diagnostic on my RAM and it showed no problem. The Memtest.exe did show some problems. I just ran the Windows Memory Test that made 32 passes and showed no problems. I guess the only way to really be sure is to just swap out the memory and see what happens.

Since you have 4 sticks of 512 Memory ... you could test each stick individually for problems with your Memtest.exe ( you will have to phyically remove 3 sticks from the banks/sockets of the motherboard and test each stick. When using 1 stick ... make sure its inserted into the proper bank/socket for single stick operation.

If your pc is using matched pairs of memory sticks ... make sure you replace the 4 sticks back into its original bank/socket designation. The motherboard labels its banks/sockets accordingly if it is capable of using matched pairs. See your motherboard diagram to verify layout.

I ran the Crucial's memory scan program. It says I have 4 512MB DDR PC3200 and it recommends putting in 4GB. However, it also states that Windows 32 bit version will recognize "only 3GB or 3.5GB".

See Link :

Memory Limits for Windows Releases

Phyical Memory Section

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

** It is my understanding that 32bit WinXP can use up to 4GB of RAM but will only display/show about 3.5GB.

Gary,

Some time ago in the distant past we went over this problem with other Forum Members.

Look, its not all to do with (user) RAM ~ that's only part of a PCs' dynamics, other things

must be considered and the most important one is functional 'dynamic workload' viz:-

1)

When you add together all the 'Running Utilities' both silent and visual plus your Slideshow

and Anti-Virus etc, this can add up over time where eventually it overwhelms the PCs' ability

to make available sufficient 'Virtual-Memory' to run your (large) Slideshow as the system

is pre-occupied in with other activities considered to be of a higher priority than your Show.

2)

PC Users have brought forward a 'misconception' from the days of Win'98 that these problems

have to do with inadequate RAM ~ that was true for Win'98 but today modern PC's use fast

'Virtual-Memory' because RAM is simply too slow for Graphic Programs and such like.

3)

With modern PC's its RAM is like a 'scratchpad' or an interchange-junction. It accepts your

instructions plus system instructions and asks Windows to make available enough virtual

memory to run those combined instructions. The Processor(s) jump into actions and start to

transact the called Programs which are routed thro' their internal L2 Cache-Memory writing

into the allocated 'Virtual-Memory' provided they are not overwhelmed by too many

instructions arriving too quickly. The Processor(s) L2-Cache Memory is the modern day

'Achilles-Heel' of hi-speed Processors trying to do too much too fast.

Suggestion

Before you start buying more RAM (more Procesor load) I would do a System-Audit and find

out how many Programs you personally have running on your PC and most important

how many Gigabytes of Images/Sounds Files you have on the Hard-Drive. Unknown to you

these are always in a state of contineous 'refresh' and believe me they burn up more Memory

resources than a petrol Fire....so how full is your Hard Drive ?? and how many USB devices

are connected to the PC ??

Gary, you may need more RAM but first stop and think...How loaded is the PC ?? because if

this is the case no amount of RAM can correct an overtaxed Processor(s) System.

Kind regards,

Brian.Conflow.

P.S.

All RAM Memory has a certain amount of permitted 'leakage' which can flag-up as a fault. But RAM

was never intended for 'permanent-memory' usage ~ its purely a transitorary first-in and first-out

'scratchpad' and its up to 100 times slower than Virtual-Memory depending on type etc.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Brian

I was always under the impression that Ram or the lack of it was one of the major causes of a dose of the heeie jeebies when using the latest couple of versions of PTE, now I've read your post I'm no so sure the cause of my spat with stuttering was what I believed.

The bit about pictures stored on the hard drive worried me. About 3 months ago I bought a 1 tetrabyte usb hard drive to store /back up my files. Since then I have used the laptop for work in progress, and the Freecom HD to store my Raw images, only transferring them to the laptop when processed ready for adding to a show.

Sometimes I have both systems running when editing, could this be stressing my resources on the laptop. Thinking back, the wobblers I started to experience co-incided with the acquisition of the new hard drive :unsure:

Yachtsman1

Hi Yachtsman,

Yes, you have just about hit the nail on the head ~ there are different types of 'External Hard-Drives' viz:-

Some of these are ' USB Static-Types' which depend on the PC-Processor for refreshing and addressing and

are connected to the PC via a USB-2 Port. The problem with these is the fact that the USB-Port is always

'active' and consequently uses massive refresh resources and they also hog the PC Databuss as well as

imposing heavy demands on the 5volt USB supply. That power demand can give iintermittent problems

if the PC Power-Block has not been upgraded from the original 325 Watt type installed on the PC.

Another type is the 'Firewire External Hard Drive' such as the 'LaCie' make. These require the installation of

a 'Firewire-Card' within the PC. This system is super-fast, has its own buffers, and most important it goes to

a 'standby-state' when not being addresed so it doesn't hog the Databuss and its also switchable On/Off but

is instantaneously available on demand and has no effect what so ever on the USB System.

There are other 'older' types of (parallel) 'External Hard-Drives but these are no longer used with modern PCs.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Brian (Conflow)

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Brian

Unfortunately no, I use laptops exclusively I will however be more judicious when I switch on the HD. I said it was a USB devise, it does however have an external power supply.

Regards Yachtsman1

Yachtsman,

OK, I got it ~ you use Laptops ~ but here is some info which may explain the problem:-

Internal & External Hard-Drives demand 5volt @ 0.5A and 12volt @ 0.75A on average

so the overall power consumption is in the order of 11~12 watts. Thats OK with an

external supply. However the Laptop still has to power the USB-2 connection which

depending on the external device - the signal demand can rise up to 1.5 amp and this

is highly intermittent in nature depending on how the 'Data-Blocks' are managed.

This 'intermittency' can push an older Laptop Battery to its limits and cause drooping

of the 5v USB System giving rise to (soft) data error's and soft address error's.

Suffice to say, I've been there done that, and its the reason I converted to Firewire.

Best regards,

Brian (Conflow).

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Brian

Just to clarify the matter further, my laptop is known as a desktop laptop, no battery! I'm unsure how to firewire the existing hardware laptop/HD, or if it is possible?

Yachtsman1

Gary,

Since you have 4 sticks of 512 Memory ... you could test each stick individually for problems with your Memtest.exe ( you will have to phyically remove 3 sticks from the banks/sockets of the motherboard and test each stick. When using 1 stick ... make sure its inserted into the proper bank/socket for single stick operation.

================

Greetings,

I have been testing each of my 4 512 Memory sticks individually. I inserted each stick, one by one, in Slot#1 and ran the Memtest86 on each stick individually. The tests found no problems on any of the 4 sticks. I then put each stick back in, one at a time, and tried to run the Create Exe in PTE. Each time I ran the Create Exe, the first time no problems. But, as my original problem occurred, on the second or third attempt, I'd get the error message with each individual stick, "Unable to create file with presentation. Try to delete this file manually or just restart Windows and run PicturesToExe again."

The only way to clear the problem is to reboot, a cold or warm boot. This is not currently happening with other PTE slideshows that I have already made. Now, it only is happening with this one new show I am working on.

I also ran each matching pair of RAM through the Memtest86 (that is, the first matching pair in Slot#1 and Slot#3. Then I ran the other matching set of RAM in Slot#1 and Slot#2. No error messages showed up.

I am about at my wits end trying to understand what is going on. Seems like the only way to see if this is really a RAM problem is to just replace the memory. I am not sure yet if I can put in 2 1GB sticks as oppose to my current setup of 4 512 sticks. My motherboard manual does not allude to this...I don't think they had 1 GB sticks when I got this PC...

Gary

Yachtsman,

Eric the way to do this which applies to a Desktop-PC is as follows.

Visit any good PC Store and purchase the following,viz;-

1) A good quality 'External Firewall Hard Drive'

2) A '2 or 3 Port Firewire PC Card'. (Install into the PC)

3) A 'Firewire to PC Cable'

Some of these Ext/HD-Drives come with a CD-Installation Disc with Drivers

for use in case the PC does not recognise a Firewire-System ~ some dont.

Usually from Win-2000 upwards most PC's recognise such Firewire-Sytem.

Most good Stores will have a Firewire 'Demo-System' so you can see the

benefit's for yourself. Concerning your Desktop-Laptop I'm afraid I have

no experience of these particular machines or indeed if they will accept a

Firewire-System. In this case I suggest have a look at its Manual or contact

the Manufacturer.

regards,

Brian (Conflow).

Hi Gary

This site will analyse your PC online & advise what you can have, if the auto system doesn't work you may have to input your details manually. Upgraded both my laptop's Ram with them so they are quite safe.

http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/memoryscanner.asp

Yachtsman1

=================

Thanks... I tried it and it is similar to the one on the Crucial site. But Orcalogic give a little bit more info.

Thanks.

Gary

Hi Gary,

You originall mentioned that there were 1200 slides in the offending show?

Have you tried cutting it into two halves (or even four quarters) and trying each to see what happens?

All of the tech talk is great but on a practical level it looks as though your system (possibly) is reacting to either the number of slides or maybe one or two slides in particular?

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Gary

Just re-read your original post, this is an outsider, have you accidentally ticked the "enable time limited use" in the advanced section of project options???

Yachtsman1

Hi Gary,

You originall mentioned that there were 1200 slides in the offending show?

Have you tried cutting it into two halves (or even four quarters) and trying each to see what happens?

All of the tech talk is great but on a practical level it looks as though your system (possibly) is reacting to either the number of slides or maybe one or two slides in particular?

DaveG

==============

Greetings,

First, Yachtsman...I have not ticked the "enable time limited use". Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave... After your comment, I did the following:

I removed all the images except the first 10 images. Got the error message again.

I then removed all the images except the last 10 images. Got the error message again.

I then removed all the images, and replaced them with 100 images from a different folder. Got the error message again.

After I get the error message when I try to do a Create Exe, I can not delete the exe file. The error message is "Access is denied". I have to reboot (warm or cold) to be able to do a Create Exe at least once...second attempt to do a Create Exe will get the error message and I have to reboot again. I reboot before I try a new variation of a test.

After a fresh re-boot, I can run the Create Exe usually once without the problem. But the second attempt to run the Create Exe gives the error message. It seems to be corrupting the exe file.

This is really getting frustrating. Now, I don't think it is a RAM problem. Any other ideas????

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

I have to say that I didn't think it was RAM from the beginning.

If it is an EXE which is causing the problem - has the EXE been transfered to and tried on a different computer?

DaveG

=================================

Dave,

In order to do this, I will have to install the PTE program on another PC. The only one I have is a laptop without too much memory (from my wife's office)--it might work. It is not just running the exe file by itself that causes the problem. It occurs only when I am in the PTE program and do a "Create Exe". You have a good thought here, though. I will see if I can do this test. If the error occurs in the laptop, I guess I could point the finger at the images, themselves,...or the program itself? But if I don't get the error...what would that show??? Something in my PC's hardware???

I have been trying other things too. I opened a couple older slideshows and tried "Create Exe" many time with each but got no error message. I then tried another slideshow I had made that were I had also got the error message but eventually disappeared. I did not get the error message right away but after about 8 or so of doing the "Create Exe", I got the error message again with that slideshow. I don't know what this means but the error is not isolated to my most recent slideshow.

I sent an email to Igor to see if he knows what this error message might point to, since I think it is a PTE error message, not from Windows---but no response yet.

Gary :blink:

Gary,

With the .pte file open in PTE but before you do the Create EXE, what size is the exe predicted to be? Look down at the information line at the bottom of the PTE main window.

Are your images "ex camera" or have they been resized? What size are they typically (in pixels by pixels and in KB or MB)?

How long (mins and secs) is the sequence? Are you using any music? If so, are these WAV or MP3 files?

regards,

Peter

Peter,

File Size in information line: 243.5 MB

All 1188 images have been resized to about 100kb to 200kb, more or less.

Length with music: 42:45 minutes.

Music: 2 MP3s and an OGG that is repeated 5 times just to give each image a few seconds of display time.

When I click on the 'Create' button, the 'Create Slideshow...' window opens. Then I click on the 'Executable file for PC' and the error occurs. Sometimes the 'save as' window shows up but I get the error message after that.

I dumped all the music files and set the time interval at 3 seconds but still got the error message.

Gary

=====================

Gary,

With the .pte file open in PTE but before you do the Create EXE, what size is the exe predicted to be? Look down at the information line at the bottom of the PTE main window.

Are your images "ex camera" or have they been resized? What size are they typically (in pixels by pixels and in KB or MB)?

How long (mins and secs) is the sequence? Are you using any music? If so, are these WAV or MP3 files?

regards,

Peter