WnSoft Forums

Monitor Profile

PTE should take into account MONITOR PROFILES , which have been generated for the monitor by products like Datacolor Spyder , Xrite I1 Display Pro etc.

This is required to view the pictures in exactly the way they were overworked in products like Adobe PS CS5 etc.

EXE-Files should behave in the same manner - if there are issues with feasibility or performance , a workaround could be to incorporate the Monitor profile during EXE-generation .

I am convinced that PTE would benfit a lot from the proposed extensions .

Thanks - Paul

Ken ,

thanks for your thoughts .

I understand that you are saying - don't use profiles and PTE therefore doesn't need to incorporate profiles .

This will be a problem for those users who rely on products like EIZO , Quato ... with their tailored calibration tools to produce monitor profiles . These users produce with the aid of these monitors nice pictures which can and normally will , when shown with PTE , have other colors than expected by the users.

Thanks - Paul

Paul,

Some people in this forum do not understand, or do not want to understand the color management problem. Keep in mind that PTE presents images as they are, it does not prepare its own modified copies (like Wings or m.objects). So if you want to have color management like it is done by Photoshop (or even XnView), PTE had to do it on the fly, during the presentation. The only AV product (that I know) that manages color management on the fly is Wings, but the manufacturer warns the user to really use this feature, as it yields a significant degradation in performance.

My recommendation: Make your own color management. Collect all images that you may intend to insert into your show as copies in a single folder. Use a tool like XnView for a batch processing with an ICC conversion (use the ICC profile of your monitor as output profile). This is a procedure that does not take too much time. If you now program your show with these images, preview and exe-file should be as you like it. Disadvantage: If you present such an exe-file via a normal projector (which in most cases will have sRGB) your presentation will loose its charm.

Regards,

Xaver

the background color of this website is pure white [ the only known value] as shown on my asus ws monitor [vga] and my panasonic tv [via hdmi] now you explain to me how a spyder is going to calibrate my tv

if you took the picture properly, shadow areas are generally gray - no tint

unless you bounced your flash off a colored ceiling then you have your work cut out for you

ken

PTE should take into account MONITOR PROFILES , which have been generated for the monitor by products like Datacolor Spyder , Xrite I1 Display Pro etc.

This is required to view the pictures in exactly the way they were overworked in products like Adobe PS CS5 etc.

EXE-Files should behave in the same manner - if there are issues with feasibility or performance , a workaround could be to incorporate the Monitor profile during EXE-generation .

I am convinced that PTE would benfit a lot from the proposed extensions .

Thanks - Paul

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but realise that a calibrated monitor has its profile stored on/in the graphics card. The purpose of the calibration is to make an image on the monitor show the correct colors for the chosen color space, in PTE's case sRGB. This is because the bare unprofiled monitor may/will show inaccurate colors due to spectral characteristics.

When PTE - or any other program that is not color-aware delivers an image to the computer, the monitor always uses the profile to correct the monitor deficiencies, so all images shown should be correct.

If your images use a less common, e.g. AdobeRGB profile, or way-out like prophoto, then your sRGB-tuned monitor will show you relative garbage.

Stick with sRGB unless you really know what you are doing. sRGB is the standard for good reason, and it was not designed by dummies. And, for what it's worth, even if you are erudite enough for that, your audience most probably isn't, negating all your work.

When all is said and done, the aim is for pleasing color and not necessarily accurate color which may not be so pleasing.

Paul,

Some people in this forum do not understand, or do not want to understand the color management problem. Keep in mind that PTE presents images as they are, it does not prepare its own modified copies (like Wings or m.objects). So if you want to have color management like it is done by Photoshop (or even XnView), PTE had to do it on the fly, during the presentation. The only AV product (that I know) that manages color management on the fly is Wings, but the manufacturer warns the user to really use this feature, as it yields a significant degradation in performance.

My recommendation: Make your own color management. Collect all images that you may intend to insert into your show as copies in a single folder. Use a tool like XnView for a batch processing with an ICC conversion (use the ICC profile of your monitor as output profile). This is a procedure that does not take too much time. If you now program your show with these images, preview and exe-file should be as you like it. Disadvantage: If you present such an exe-file via a normal projector (which in most cases will have sRGB) your presentation will loose its charm.

Regards,

Xaver

Xaver ,

thank you very much for your help. I tried your suggested route - Batch process with XnView to produce copies with the included ICC conversion for PTE - it really works and will offer a workaround to use PTE .

Nevertheless , I still feel that PTE would benefit from my proposal to work directly with monitor/TV/Beamer - Profiles . I can't judge what effort would be involved to upgrade PTE by this feature - the PTE-experts will know that better and hopefully they will share their judgement with us . MOBJECTS shows that it can be done - I agree that the product is playing in a higher class but even the (PTE-)comparable BASE-version offers my proposed feature .

Again , thanks a lot and greetings fom Cologne to Munich - Paul

... thank you very much for your help. I tried your suggested route - Batch process with XnView to produce copies with the included ICC conversion for PTE - it really works and will offer a workaround to use PTE ... MOBJECTS shows that it can be done - I agree that the product is playing in a higher class but even the (PTE-)comparable BASE-version offers my proposed feature. Again , thanks a lot and greetings from Cologne to Munich - Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm glad that I could help you. I agree that it would be fine if PTE would offer some support for generating customized exe-files for particular output devices, e.g. adding optional color space transformations (and perhaps automatic image size transformations) to the zip export of projects which should be an easy exercise for the developer.

Furthermore let me say that you should be a bit more careful when comparing PTE and m.objects (whose base version is a rather useless one). What does "higher class" mean for you? I don't know about your experience with PTE. If you have just started to use it, I would recommend to read the German article on PTE in AV Dialog 3/2012, p. 31, see here.

Best regards und schöne Grüße ins Rheinland,

Xaver

• 3 weeks later...

I see, that this thread has a lot of misunderstanding going on. I see, that PTE really needs to incorporate color management (being aware and taking into account color profiles of images and output devices). At the moment we have workaround using sRGB (as default) profile in images.

However, modern (wide gamut) monitors and projectors are capable to display full Adobe RGB gamut already. Using only sRGB color gamut is becoming disadvantage.