WnSoft Forums

multiple images

custom

:D I am new to this forum-"Hello everyone". I am in the process of making a slide presentation and would like to know if pte can transition into a multiple image ex.: mom appears 1second later dad appears next to mom consuming 1/3 of screen finally 1 second later baby appears finally filling in last third of screen 2 seconds later full screen transitions to next image? If so where would I go to see how this is done?? Thanks,Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I'd do this in PhotoShop or a similar editing package, just make the first photo of Mom, then make a new image showing Mom & Pop, finally another new image showing all three.

Then just add the transitions between the photos.

Easy. :D

Alan

Welcome to PTE, Wayne

Another simple alternative other than cropping your full single Image into several sections is to try this method also :

Add a BITMAP OBJECT on top of your full single image.... and move the BITMAP OBJECT around to any direction or position to reveal what portions of your full single image below to reveal.

Each positon the BITMAP OBJECT is moved will be a new Slide (timed to your needs).

This requires that you use a plain background color in your slide show ... so your BITMAP OBJECT (use same color as background) would look to be invisible, as this would work like a mask ontop of your main image used.

Also, you can also get quite creative in a simple, fast way as to use a 2 color BITMAP OBJECT with various shapes and sizes ... then making one color transparent in your settings.

As example, say you have a BITMAP OBJECT that is all black and a white circle in the middle. Make the white transparent. So now you have a round mask that you can move around to create a spot light effect. The possibilites are endless.

This method does not require any image editing . Plus PTE reuses the same image file as many times as you need it without adding mutiple files of the same image ... thus saving valuable kb,mb space.

Its real simple to do.

Bubba,

I may have used the term BITMAP OBJECT a bit to loosely in my previous message ... so I will try to explain a bit more in detail.

The BITMAP OBJECT I refer to is this :

Its any Image file ( this can be a .bmp, .jpg, .gif) that you create. You can open MS Paint or any Image edting program and create it to your size and single (or 2 )color you require. You can use this new bitmap as is , or you can convert it to a jpg or gif if you like.

Now, to use this Image file (.bmp, .jpg,.gif)

in PTE as your MASK on top of your current slide/photo :

Open PTEs "OBJECT EDITOR" (from PTE main window) and then select the PICTURE(button) to add your new Image file to the current slide. Move your Image file to your desired location that you need to MASK ... if using a 2 color Image file then select the properties of the Image file to be transparent for 1 of the colors used. So , in simple terms ... you have now just added a BITMAP OBJECT to your slide.

Remember though, the Size and Color of the Image file is all dependent on your MASK needs ... as theres no preset requirements here.

Once you get the basic idea of this BITMAP OBJECT mask method ... you can then experiment using 2 color Image files or multiple Image files ... as I say , the possibilites are endless.

Bubba:

One added thoughts to nobeefstu's advice (assuming I understand it correctly).

Keep in mind that using OBJECTS in PTE is a great option, but OBJECTS' positioning is dependant on the screen resolution the viewer uses.

You can check the postioning when you are setting up the OBJECT by clicking in the left top corner of the screen.

Jim,

You are correct about the alignment/positioning of OBJECTS when displayed in different screen sizes other than you intended.

However, you can oversize the BITMAP OBJECT to some varying degree to help compensate for this alignment problem. Since this object is used as a MASK ... size requirement need not be absolute.

If your Mask position is critical and is dependent on perfect alignment ... the user must use a windowed mode with solid background color and a not a full screen mode setting.

NOTE:

If you go to this link and download Boxigs sample ... this is a perfect example of using this object mask method. Thanks Boxig ...great timimg to post this.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...t=ST&f=2&t=1030

Methinks you are making this too hard...why use a "mask" to hide, then reveal underlying images??

To use the example the original poster used...

1. Make a "background" slide (it could be another photo, a gradient, a solid fill, whatever you like)

2. Copy this slide multiple times (as many as you need for the photos you will overlay) to your show.

3. Take the images you will overlay (i.e. Mom, Dad, baby) and resize them using something like Irfanview to something smaller than the resolution of your show. (i.e. if your show will be 600x800, make the individual images 240x320).

4. Use the Object Editor and Insert Picture to add the image(s) to your background slides (i.e. Slide 1 is just the background, Slide 2 is the background with the Mom, Slide 3 is the background with the Mom and Dad, Slide 4 is the background with the Mom, Dad, and baby, Slide 5 is just the background)

5. Use a dissolve transition (or a wipe if you prefer) and the individual images will appear to come in in additive fashion.

Now... if PTE would allow us to -scale- the objects we bring in via the object editor, the process could be done entirely in PTE!! - Wish list item!!

Truelight,

As with any multiple image compostions ... this can be alot of work depending on the complexity of your objective ... whether its thru the normal process of cutting and pasteing your main image into several sections or pieces or using the alternative method Ive described.

Methinks you are making this too hard...why use a "mask" to hide, then reveal underlying images??

The method Ive described requires no cutting and pasteing of your main image into several pieces and then adding these pieces back into the slide as Objects. The MASK method only uses the main image as the photo/slide and a BITMAP OBJECT (added as a Picture Object in Object Editior) as the MASK.

You can use the same BITMAP OBJECT 1 time or 20 in the same slide pending your needs. So all this only requires 1 main photo image and 1 BITMAP MASK ( .bmp,.jpg,.gif) ... with no cutting/cropping and pasteing time spent in your image editior.

So the end result of sequencially fading mom, pop, and baby is only 3 or 4 slide positions, 1 photo containing mom, pop, and baby (in the same photo), and 1 BITMAP MASK(used as many times as you like).

I find this method very fast in particular situations ... and a great space saving of images used (less mb,kb used in overall exe). Its simple , effective and less work. But again , all methods require work depending on the needs and complexity of your effects desired.

Bubba, perhaps these two quotes from PS6 help will explain Stu's technique:

Making transparent and matted images

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transparency makes it possible to place a nonrectangular graphic object against the background of a Web page. Background transparency, supported by GIF and PNG formats, preserves transparent pixels in the image. These pixels allow the Web page background to show through in a browser.

Background matting, supported by GIF, PNG, and JPEG formats, simulates transparency by filling or blending transparent pixels with a matte color that you choose to match the Web page background on which the image will be placed. Background matting works better if the Web page background will be a solid color, and if you know what that color will be.

The original image must contain transparent pixels in order for you to create background transparency or background matting in the optimized image. You can create transparency when you create a new layer.

Note: You can use the magic eraser tool to easily create transparency in an image. In Photoshop, you can also use the background eraser tool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optimizing Images for the Web > Making transparent and matted images

Related subtopics:

Preserving transparency in GIF and PNG images

Creating background matting in GIF and PNG images

Creating hard-edged transparency in GIF and PNG-8 images

Creating background matting in JPEG images

Creating background matting in JPEG images

When creating a JPEG from an original image that contains layer transparency, you must matte the image against a matte color. Since the JPEG format does not support transparency, blending with a matte color is the only way to create the appearance of background transparency in a JPEG. Fully transparent pixels are filled with the matte color, and partially transparent pixels are blended with the matte color. When the JPEG is placed on a Web page with a background that matches the matte color, the image appears to blend with the Web page background.

To create a matted JPEG image:

1 Open or create an image that contains transparency.

2 In the Optimize panel/palette, select JPEG from the file format menu.

3 Select a color from the Matte pop-up menu:

(Photoshop) Select None, Eyedropper (to use the color in the eyedropper sample box), White, Black, or Other (using the color picker).

(ImageReady) Select None, Foreground Color, Background Color, or Other (using the color picker), or select a color from the Matte pop-up palette.

Note: When you select None, white is used as the matte color.

Optimizing Images for the Web > Making transparent and matted images > Creating background matting in JPEG images

So the end result of sequencially fading mom, pop, and baby is only 3 or 4 slide positions, 1 photo containing mom, pop, and baby (in the same photo), and 1 BITMAP MASK(used as many times as you like).

Even if one is being very selective about the masking, and requires a different mask for each member of the family, masking is still more efficient, as generally speaking, each mask will require fewer bits than a copy of the underlying image would.

Of course, if file space is not an issue, it is probably easier, and also a little more precise, to create separate images in one's photo editor.

In Photoshop, using layers, it is a simple matter to stack up a number of images on different layers, and then "save for web" to convert each into a jpeg. You don't even have to merge layers together or "flatten" the images first, either.

Using separate images has the added advantage of keeping the masking stable under varying pc monitor resolutions.

I prefer to use Al's method as I usually want to synchronize the sound track to my slides on the time line. I often have complicated sound tracks with speech, background music and sound effects and timing can be crucial.

I have found when using the object editor it won't always work with the tick on the synchronize to slideshow duration.

Best wishes

Maureen

New web site at www.digital-av.co.uk

Hi

I'm completely new to this also :) , but it seems to me one should be able to add an "invisible" 1x1 pixel image as the "basic" image on each slide and then for each of the slides go to Objects and add on the images you want e.g. Dad and/or Mom and/or whatever and then move these around to wherever you want them.

Zevs