WnSoft Forums

Abrupt cessation of music

isabel95

I am using an mp3 which mysteriously cuts off about 2 seconds before the end of the music.

I checked the file in Audacity and it ends normally, yet when I bring it into PTE it stops to soon.

I tried fading out the end and saving it with a different name and bringing it into my show and it worked fine playing all the way through but the recompression degraded the audio quality.

Any idea why the music should have cut off like that?

TIA.

Isabel

Isabel,

An alternative approach to Barry's suggestion:

If the end of the last slide comes before the end of the music:

- select the last slide

- go into the Timeline view

- click on the Timed Points button

- select "Set End of Last Slide at End of Music"

regards,

Peter

How nice to find you here, Barry! I have enjoyed your video tutorials and recommended them to the members of my Digipets Yahoo Group!

I have uploaded two screen grabs to illustrate my problem: The first one shows the waveform in Audacity: Audacity waveform

and the next shows what that same ending looks like on the PTE screen: PTE waveform

I couldn't get that mp3 file not to end that way so I went back to Audacity and added a fade effect at the end. Saved it in wav format hoping to maintain the quality of the mp3 and next saved that to mp3 and it worked properly in the program, not cutting off at the end. I'm mystified.

Isabel

Isabel

Have a look at your time line and see if the green line that says "End of the last slide" comes before the end of the music.

If it does, click and drag it to the right

Hope that helps

Thanks for the input...this didn't work.

Please read my explanation in my response to Barry.

Isabel

Isabel,

An alternative approach to Barry's suggestion:

If the end of the last slide comes before the end of the music:

- select the last slide

- go into the Timeline view

- click on the Timed Points button

- select "Set End of Last Slide at End of Music"

regards,

Peter

Isabel,

Please look at the green vertical line with the indication "End of the last slide". This seems to be the point of time where the show stops, and it will cut the music. Add 1 or 2 seconds to the time of the last slide.

Regards,

Xaver

Interesting.

I had the same occurence with PTE 5.7.5!

Music stopped 1 second before the end of the clip!

Opened Audacity, checked the file and it played perfect! I noticed my windows 7 system indicated it was 3 min 24 seconds long. After much trial and error, I decided to re export the mp3 from Audacity, and be darned if the length of the clip changed to 3 min 25 sec! Now the clip plays correctly in my slideshow!

Original clip was bought via iTunes, and converted to mp3 in iTunes... Wonder if there is a difference between iTune's mp3 codec and the Lame codec used in Audacity?

Tried that..for some reason that particular mp3 file is getting corrupted along the way, because it hasn't happened with another file. I moved the end of slide indication and got this:

Moved End of Slide Point

Isabel,

Please look at the green vertical line with the indication "End of the last slide". This seems to be the point of time where the show stops, and it will cut the music. Add 1 or 2 seconds to the time of the last slide.

Regards,

Xaver

BRILLIANT....from your post I deduced that I should try the following:

I opened the mp3 from Amazon in Audacity.

I exported it as a wav file with a new name.

I opened up the new wav file in Audacity and exported as an mp3 file.

it worked!!! No more abrupt end.

Thank you!!!!

Isabel

P.S. I tried exporting an altered mp3 to mp3 format and it was degraded. If I export first to wav and THEN to mp3 the sound quality seems to be retained.

Interesting.

I had the same occurence with PTE 5.7.5!

Music stopped 1 second before the end of the clip!

Opened Audacity, checked the file and it played perfect! I noticed my windows 7 system indicated it was 3 min 24 seconds long. After much trial and error, I decided to re export the mp3 from Audacity, and be darned if the length of the clip changed to 3 min 25 sec! Now the clip plays correctly in my slideshow!

Original clip was bought via iTunes, and converted to mp3 in iTunes... Wonder if there is a difference between iTune's mp3 codec and the Lame codec used in Audacity?

Isabel

It still looks to me like the problem I first mentioned. Look at my first screen grab called "end" The green line is within the transition of my last slide and any music playing at that point would come to an abrupt stop.

By clicking and dragging that line to the end of the fade and music "End 2" all is resolved

Thank you for recommending my tutorials, but perhaos I have a bit of work to do on ending a show :rolleyes:

Dragging didn't work for me but exporting the Amazon mp3 opened in Audacity to wav and the to mp3 worked. The truncated waveform that showed before the end of slide indication was moved further out remained truncated until I resaved the file.

Isabel

Isabel

It still looks to me like the problem I first mentioned. Look at my first screen grab called "end" The green line is within the transition of my last slide and any music playing at that point would come to an abrupt stop.

By clicking and dragging that line to the end of the fade and music "End 2" all is resolved

Thank you for recommending my tutorials, but perhaos I have a bit of work to do on ending a show :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Isabel,

I had exactly the same problem with one of my slideshow.

It appears that the mp3 was encoded in 320 Kb/s.

With Audacity, I reduced the compression to 192 Kb/s and saved it as a new mp3.

The problem disappeared.

What is the compression level of your original mp3 ?

Actually, I am wondering if it is not the right explanation, ie problem of codec (instead of compression rate)...