WnSoft Forums

Making a HD video for PC or MAC

Bruss444

Hi Dave,

I suspect that the PTE codec worked O.K. for Bill since he was able to create a DVD with PTE. Creating a stand-alone AVI requires a custom codec since the PTE codec creates a temporary "template" which is holding and distributing all the PTE file parameters just until the DVD is created then erased.

In the early days, before PTE 5.0, burning the DVD required another program such as Pinnacle which could read the temporary file and use it to burn a DVD. Once Video Builder and 5.0 became available, then the PTE Codec was, as far as I know, only used when creating a DVD and not for other video processes. Video Builder itself, AFAIK, furnishes the requisite information for the MP4, h.264. Why one system might "hang" at 99% yet apparently create the DVD while another appears to finish more quickly and reach 100% is problematic and may hold a clue as to the issues. The one thing I'm fairly certain of is that Bill's present codec choices are not sufficient for producing a stand-alone AVI file.

As for why the PTE codec might work for one and not another could depend on a number of possible issues. One past issue was conflict of burn drivers. At one time, people who had EZ CD Creator and Nero both resident on their systems could not get either to work. They had to completely erase all vestiges of one to get the other to function properly.

Issues with DVD burning got so bad at one time that Photodex support was suggesting that their users actually use different software to burn DVD's. It's really a complex issue trying to get the wide variety of DVD burners, different types of media, etc., to all work harmoniously. I really wish there were a simple solution, but apparently there are some situations which are seriously difficult to resolve. That's one reason I suggested using the Windows Task Manager to eliminate as many variables as possible to see if some conflict might be responsible.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Briefly and for my edification only - I either knew and forgot or possibly never knew:

Why would the PTE codec work for one person and not another??

DG

Good morning Lin, Sorry I was away for a while. I downloaded the XP-Codec-Pac 2.5.0._exe and asked where to install it so I installed it in the startup folder but still don't see any new codecs in PTE list when trying to create an AVI file. I haven't worked with Codecs in this manner before so I quite possible need help how and where to install this package. I really appreciate all of your help. Thanks Bill

Hi BillPC,

I would like to recommend the following procedure:

Create a temporary AVI with the PTE-Codec. After creation, leave PTE open; closing it will delete the temporary AVI, which is a very small file. Then open the AVI with Windows Media Encoder and transcode it to WMV, or use MeGUI/x.264 in order to transcode it to MP4/H.264. The video data needed for the WMV/MP4 creation will be generated by PTE on the fly.

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Bill,

Actually, I "think" that the XP-Codec-Pac 2.5.0 should be installed by default under "Program Files" as here:

http://www.xpcodecpack.com/pictures/screenshots/xp_codec_pack_menu.htm

But once it's installed, this is only the "container" for the codecs - one still must open the codec pac and choose the particular codecs which the program will then install. Not being familiar with this particular codec pack, I don't know exactly how they proceed, but the one's I am familiar with generally present a menu from which you choose individual codecs which the program then places where they need to be to be recognized. Also after they are installed I believe you need to reboot before Windows recognizes their presence.

So you may want to uninstall the codec-pac via Windows Control Panel and reinstall as the default. After installation look in the folder for an icon to "run" the codec pac program which "should" then present you with a menu to choose individual codecs to be installed. Don't install all of them but rather choose individual ones. Usually there is a check box which you use to select the ones you want and the program takes care of placement.

You may also want to read this:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/08/15/how-to-install-windows-xp-and-2000-default-codecs-manually/

Let me know how you get along with this because we can continue to work out this issue.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I understand. Whatever other options are chosen, if the PTE Codec is used the AVI is only temporary.

I tried creating an AVI using Cinepac Codec by Radius (first in list) and it produced a stand-alone AVI (quality poor-but it did it).

I seem to remember trying (a long time ago) using a media converter programme to change the temp file into something else while it was still in the temp folder and I think it worked.

OK, I've learned something - now remembering it...............

Hello and thanks again for the ongoing help. Lin, I was mistaken and I did install the XP codec into the default folder which was the program folder. What I did select the start up fold as a short cut folder for it and that was all. I did as you suggested and checked the XP codec folder in Windows Explorer and there is actually no "run" option there which I find confusing and I alos checked using the install hardware wizard and couldn't find any new ones but I did see the PTE codec listed there. I am rather confused how one actully should install these new codecs. At one point I did find one place where the WINDOWS 32 folder came up with a save option but of course there are a lot of folders in there too. I am trying to be careful since I am self-employed and use this pc heavily and part of my work is Photography and don't want to make any changes which could effect the color profile I made have on my pc.I really am thankful for you and the others on going interest and help. Thanks Bill

Hi Bill,

Give me a few hours and I will download the codecs and install them on one of my other systems which is not online. I have to be gone for a few hours today, but will do this as soon as I get back. Since I haven't actually used this codec pack I can't say until I install it how to proceed, but should know something this afternoon.

Best regards,

Lin

Good morning to Lin and those who are helping with my problem. Thanks again for all your time and effort!! Here is another test I did this morning. As mentioned before, I have been using Proshow Producer for several years and I am quite familar with it although I never made a stand alone .avi video with it but always directly burned the presentation on a DVD and actually never had a failure and have made quite a few for my customers. Here is a test I did this morning. I made a stand alone AVI test video with Proshow Producer and it made it fine. If there is a problem with my codecs on my pc would it show up with Producer likewise or could it be PTE requires different codecs than Producer? BUT the detail in PTE .exe video file is astounding and hope so much to make an HD video or AVI video with PTE. Another note-- I also downloaded one of the PTE presentations from Beckman Digital for Mac and played it on my new MacBook Pro and WOW!! Crystal clear, pin sharp just astounding!! Thanks Bill

Bill,

Yes, I did alert Igor to this topic and he replied saying he would check things out. It may take his team a day or two to either recreate the problem or to understand it from the details contained in this thread.

If they do find that there is a bug in PTE, I would expect Igor will attach a reply to this thread indicating when the fix will be released. In the meantime, Lin is working with you looking into the codecs issue to see whether that avenue can produce a solution for you.

We don't give up on problems on this forum!

regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter, (and Lin too) Peter, I have been servicing household appliances for 40 years and agree about not giving up. What I hope is that by finding the solution that others will benefit too. I just hope I am not overlooking something very basic causing others much of their time and grief!

Here is another test I tried various times and always failed too: Select "Create" then "Creating HD video for PC and Mac and then click on "convert" and in the next window (see the process being done) and when done this is what info is given:

Video encoding Done 0 fps

Audio extracting Done 38.7

Audio encoding Done 12.5 x

Mixing video and audio Done

(this info also appears under the info above)

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\My Documents\PicturesToExe\Project23.mp4 (0 bytes)

---and the icon at the top shows a blue DVD disk with a green checkmark

Take note it says "Project23.mp4" and why "0 bytes" when I check that file at its location it too says "0" bytes.

Thanks Bill

Hello Peter, Thanks for the quick reply and I am wondering the same and it seems apparently Proshow Producer will work on other codecs which I apparently do have. I downloaded XP Codec Pac but can't find a way it will automatically install their codecs so maybe Lin will have a different pac recommendation which would be more user friendly. Thanks again for all your interest, concern and help. Heading out on a Dishwasher service call. Bill

Hello Lin and Peter. I went to this site http://register.freeze.com/Download/index.aspx?s=ffdshow&c=329596&SessionId=018b7413-82ad-4912-8992-c6d3a1f453c9&fn=goog_placement_ffdshow and this time instead of saving the codecs on the hard drive I left them automatically install them for me and when it was done it said "installed" but I removed PTE 5.7 and redownloaded it again and again the same problem and there are no new codecs in the list when going throught the "create" process. Thanks Bill

Bill,

If I understand your H264 codec issue correctly (the previous posts wander into other issues) ... Your H264 is most likely a decoder and not a encoder. This is why it will not show up in PTE codecs display. Most H264 codecs available for download are decoders for playback only.

Encoding to H264 takes a library of files which needs to be scripted/instructed to perform the conversion process. Its just not a single and simple codec that can be installed to encode to H264. H264 process is still in continual development and considered still beta by most accounts.

As for burning HD Video to DVD disc movie format ... Video Builder does not support the function as of yet. Plus remember ... to burn HD Video to HD DVD movie format one needs HD hardware, sofware, and HD discs.

Good morning and thanks for the reply.What seem strange is I have and have been using Proshow Producer and can make an .avi file easily but not in PictureToexe. I have questioned too in my mind about decoding and encoding and saw that these codec packages mentioned the downloads are many times referring to "play back and it seems my problem is that it can't conpress and "make the avi file"

I keep getting this message "catCantCreateFile". I have no problem making an .exe file and playing it (just stunningly sharp) but when I want to create an .avi file that is when I have a problem. IF you have any more thoughts I would really appreciate it. Thanks Bill

Bill,

I dont use and am not aware of Proshow Producer features and conversion functions.

But lets clear up some definitions. Is Proshow Producer producing a .avi file or a .mp4 file ?

The .avi wrapper/container does not support H264 HD Video. When a HD Video (MPEG4) is made using H264 process the resulting wrapper/container is .mp4

Links:

MPEG-4 Part 14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

Container format (digital) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_format_(digital)

Bill,

Via Windows Media Player > Help > About > Technical Support Information you can see which codecs are installed on your system. The AVI creator in PTE seems only to use these installed Video Codecs, while ffdshow (which comes with xpcodecpack or K-Lite) is to be regarded as an MPEG Filter which uses its own codecs (e.g. libavcodec).

Regards,

Xaver

Hi Bill,

Just for a moment, let me backtrack and explain something you may already know, but perhaps will shed a bit of light on the present issue. The way an executable file works, in the relevant sense, is that the computer is given a set of "instructions" by the executable software telling it to create images. The image you are panning, zooming or rotating is stored inside the executable code. When you create your original PTE file using keyframes, etc., you give the program an ending position and size for pan, zoom, rotate (PZR) and the software instructs the computer to create all intermediate images necessary to create the animated effect. For PTE this may be as many as sixty images or more per second. All that is contained within the executable file are the original image and the "instruction set" to create the desired effect. The computer creates all the necessary intermediate images on the fly as the executable code is interpreted by the GPU and CPU of your computer. This is why executable code is so "lean" compared with video code.

When creating a video file such as an AVI, MPEG, etc., these intermediate files are all created and "saved" within the file structure. So something like a simple zoom which lasts five seconds will have between 150 and 300 images (30 frames per second to 60 frames per second) created and saved. So a slideshow with animation which runs for 10 minutes could easily have as many as 18,000 to 36,000 stored images plus the instructions telling the display device how to present these. Of course to keep file size to something manageable, this huge mass of data must be compressed. For playback, the files must be decompressed in memory hence the CODEC (COmpressDECompress).

The thing which is problematic with your situation is why codecs which you have installed are not appearing in the Windows list of available codecs. PTE and other software simply read the codecs which Windows makes available and present this list in a tabular format for choice. Ignoring mp4 h.264 for a moment and concentrating solely on AVI, a codec is used to both compress the video files and then during playback to decompress these files. It appears from the error messages which you are getting that there is not a suitable codec available to compress the files to create the AVI. This is why I suggested downloading a codec pack and selecting a few of the more popular ones to install.

There are a few possible explanations and one which immediately comes to mind is some sort of device driver conflict in your system. This is the reason I suggested using the Windows Task Manager to remove all unnecessary running applications while testing this. Something appears to be preventing both the use of and proper display of available codecs.

In past years, and even today, there are a number of people having difficulty making DVD's, etc., with Producer, Gold and PTE. Some have absolutely zero problems and some have nothing but problems. It's all very confusing to the user. A quick peek at PSP troubleshooting in this forum shows the extent of issues with DVD, etc.

http://www.proshowen...7305fd6f022f406

So to me, the best way to proceed is to first start up the system and use the Task Manager to unload all unnecessary files and then try to create an AVI file and see if you still get the same error message. If not, then a conflict is undoubtedly the issue. If so, at least most of the potential conflicts have been eliminated. The fact that thousands can create AVI's with no problems with PTE mean that there is something specific to your system which is causing this issue and what we need to do is to find out what that specific "something" is.

The most problematic and telling clue is that the installed codecs are not appearing in the list. This screams "conflict" loudly to me...

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin and others, Thanks so much for your ongoing help. I took a look into Windows Media player codecs and there are quite a few more there than shown in PTE. I also have found that the same list that shows up in PTE also shows up in the Control Panel> Sounds and audio Devices>hardware tab> select 1 of the Video Codecs> properties and there is the same list including PicturestoExe. Lin, I think you may be correct about some conflict. I am always hesitant ending proccess in the Task Manager since a warning comes up about making the system unstable. Should I just start and 1 by 1 ending the process and each time then trying to create an .avi? Wish I could recognize which software is connected to each line in the Task Manager. I have Roxio CD/DVD burner software on my pc and have been wondering if if could be the problem. Thanks Bill

Hi Bill,

Usually, Windows will inform you if removing a particular running process is going to upset the applecart. Actually, no permanent effect will be seen because when you reboot or cold-start, all applications are automatically reloaded by the startup program.

The very first thing I would do is remove anything related to Roxio. Absolutely, there may be a conflict there. I think I mentioned this in the past, but I'll repeat it here in case I didn't. At one time it was impossible to have both Roxio (formerly Easy CD Creator) and other burning software such as Nero resident and create a CD at all. It was conflict city. So definitely look for anything in the Task Manager list which says Roxio or CD this or DVD that and kill that process. Next try to create an AVI. If it works, problem solved. If not, then eliminate each process which Windows does not prevent or tell you is necessary then try. If successful, then reintroduce and try each time until the culprit is discovered.

Just make a one slide display show so the time will be minimal for creation for the test.

Best regards,

Lin

Hello Lin,First I made 2 slide program and saved it. Well I actually removed all of Roxio and its parts from the sytem for this test (then re-installed it after the test)and still no change and then I removed all that I was allowed to remove in the Task Manager but still to know avail. Maybe your first thought is correct and that the correct encoder is missing. We will rest on this for now since next Friday we head for Montana and hope to photograph Glacier and some of Yellowstone and have much to do between now and then. (We live in PA) I can't express how grateful I am for how much time you and the others have given. Will I give up on PicturesToExe. No not at all and will pursue it further. I have a new MacBook Pro and like it so well and I downloaded some of the PTE samples for Macs and WOW. I would really like to replace the desktop with a Mac but know at the moment PTE can't installed on them but hopefully in the near furture. Wishing you and all the others a great weekend! Bill

Just a short update before vacation. As Lin recommended I finally downloaded K lite and installed with the most current updater for it. I checked in the codec list in PT2 and saw new codecs listed so I choose "ffdshow Codec as well as some of the other new ones listed but again received the same message. My graphics card in a nVidia GeForce 8600GT and is quite new so I am not sure if something in there needs "turned on" or "turned off". Thanks Bill