WnSoft Forums

Learning from Barry's PTE 5.6 VideoTut

isabel95

Have just started watching the tutorials and love the ability to make a white border saved as a png and add to all the images at once (as long as they're the same size!). I realized that that was how additional elements are added to images within PTE rather than making additional images in Photoshop!

Figuring out how to do animation (I always wanted to learn how to do that) was a bit more complicated but I finally got it to work.

What puzzles me, however, is how do you deal with the inevitable image degradation when you zoom in (asking a smaller part of the image to fill the same space as the original image).

Thanks, Barry for putting this together for us.

Isabel

Have just started watching the tutorials and love the ability to make a white border saved as a png and add to all the images at once (as long as they're the same size!). I realized that that was how additional elements are added to images within PTE rather than making additional images in Photoshop!

Figuring out how to do animation (I always wanted to learn how to do that) was a bit more complicated but I finally got it to work.

What puzzles me, however, is how do you deal with the inevitable image degradation when you zoom in (asking a smaller part of the image to fill the same space as the original image).

Thanks, Barry for putting this together for us.

Isabel

you start with a larger file size and better quality jpg

ken

Hi Isabel,

The rule of thumb is that if you are going to zoom into an image at 200% then your image needs to be 200% bigger than your screen resolution.

If you are making a show on your 1024x768 monitor (for instance) and know that you are going to zoom at 200% then your image needs to be 2048x1536 to accomodate the zoom.

More info here: http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10609

thanks, Dave and Ken.

It's really going to be fun making presentations using more of PTE's capabilities than I ever used before.

Isabel

Hi Isabel,

You are really going to enjoy PTE Version 6.

One of the new features allows you to put a border around your image right in PTE without creating anything in Photoshop or other software. You can simply decide how wide and which color you want for your border. Just go to Objects and Animations, select your image in the Objects List, click on the Properties Tab then on the Adjust Image and Border and you can decide how wide and what color you want. You can also adjust the "canvas" which means you can decide all or any part of the image to be surrounded by the border. Essentially, this feature allows you to "crop" the image and place a border around it without actually affecting the real image. It's really a fantastic feature!

Best regards,

Lin

thanks, Dave and Ken.

It's really going to be fun making presentations using more of PTE's capabilities than I ever used before.

Isabel

Neat-o. Nice feature!

I'm still aggravating myself about animation and keypoints. I don't quite have the steps in memory and I have to fiddle around till I get it to work! I wish the manual made the steps clearer. (Trying to zoom in to part of an image - I keep winding up with only the zoomed-in part of the image, rather than the animation starting from the beginning. Barry has an illustration in one of his videos but goes through it too fast for me to pick up on what he's doing.

Isabel

Hi Isabel,

You are really going to enjoy PTE Version 6.

One of the new features allows you to put a border around your image right in PTE without creating anything in Photoshop or other software. You can simply decide how wide and which color you want for your border. Just go to Objects and Animations, select your image in the Objects List, click on the Properties Tab then on the Adjust Image and Border and you can decide how wide and what color you want. You can also adjust the "canvas" which means you can decide all or any part of the image to be surrounded by the border. Essentially, this feature allows you to "crop" the image and place a border around it without actually affecting the real image. It's really a fantastic feature!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Isabel,

Why don't you go to the tutorials section and download some of my free AVI tutorials posted there. The Official PTE User Guide and the Unofficial PTE User Guide which Jeff, Ray and I authored isn't really designed to teach you how to use the program, but rather what each feature is designed for and just to give a brief example.

The tutorials I have posted in the PTE Made Easy (PTE for Smarties) section will show you exactly how to do keyframes and such and after watching it I don't think you will have any problems at all.

Start with the one on PZR (Pan, Zoom, Rotate)...

Here's a quick link:

http://www.picturest...?showtopic=7901

Best regards,

Lin

Isabel

I am glad the tutorials are meeting your needs and you already have been given the answer to zooming in on an image, but here is something to consider. There are those who feel movement such as a zoom adds interest to an image and those who feel it doesn't. It probably depends on the style of show you are putting together. If your aiming to capture a mood or an emotion in your show, then animation and effects can have a detremental effect. (in my view of course, others will feel differently about this)

If your looking to create a slide show that may be described more as a presentation, then animation and zooms are great. We see them every day on TV

If you are aiming to capture a mood or an emotion in your show, I would say be careful when zooming into or out of an image as many of the examples I have seen are way over the top. (in my view of course, others feel differently about this too) Zooms that go on too long can be boring, we have already seen the image on screen, so to slowly zoom way into one part is often unecessary. Keep your zooms/animation delicate for these types of slide shows and you may find you can have your cake and eat it. In other words retain charm, appeal and avoid the pitfalls.

For a slide show that could be described more as a presentaion, then it is an entirely different thing.

The white line inclusion within PTE is a great addition, but of course you have to visit every image in your slide show to apply it and if you change your mind later it is rather a pain to visit every image in the show again to change it. As you have discovered, a Png frame/line is quick to apply and it is changed easily in one go no matter how many images your show contains. I hope in time we can choose a line or animation from within PTE and apply that to every image in our show in one operation.

I totally agree with you about zooming being overused...in fact, when someone directs me to a presentation that has a lot of zooming and panning, I stop it before I get totally annoyed. The effects have to be used judiciously, just as one should not have every transition available used within a program. Up to this point I have been using only fades, but with 17 month old twin grandchildren that I see very infrequently, I like to make a presentation from the images I shoot when I see them and want to make some memorable more polished programs.

Yes...less is really more when it comes to creating a mood!

Quick question - I've been watching your tutorial information on your Australia program and tried to add a voice track in Audacity but find that Windows Vista Sound Recorder only saves in WMA format. Didn't XP save as a wav? What can I use as a sound record for that voice track (I noted that your commentary was pre-recorded and brought into Audacity, and not recorded from within Audacity (haven't figured out if that is even possible).

Isabel

Isabel

I am glad the tutorials are meeting your needs and you already have been given the answer to zooming in on an image, but here is something to consider. There are those who feel movement such as a zoom adds interest to an image and those who feel it doesn't. It probably depends on the style of show you are putting together. If your aiming to capture a mood or an emotion in your show, then animation and effects can have a detremental effect. (in my view of course, others will feel differently about this)

If your looking to create a slide show that may be described more as a presentation, then animation and zooms are great. We see them every day on TV

If you are aiming to capture a mood or an emotion in your show, I would say be careful when zooming into or out of an image as many of the examples I have seen are way over the top. (in my view of course, others feel differently about this too) Zooms that go on too long can be boring, we have already seen the image on screen, so to slowly zoom way into one part is often unecessary. Keep your zooms/animation delicate for these types of slide shows and you may find you can have your cake and eat it. In other words retain charm, appeal and avoid the pitfalls.

For a slide show that could be described more as a presentaion, then it is an entirely different thing.

The white line inclusion within PTE is a great addition, but of course you have to visit every image in your slide show to apply it and if you change your mind later it is rather a pain to visit every image in the show again to change it. As you have discovered, a Png frame/line is quick to apply and it is changed easily in one go no matter how many images your show contains. I hope in time we can choose a line or animation from within PTE and apply that to every image in our show in one operation.

Regarding my question about software to use for voice-overs - RED FACE HERE...

After using Audacity for years to prepare music and sound clips for stills posted on pbase and for slideshows I simply never noticed that RECORD BUTTON!

I'm using my Logitech webcam mike for voice and the quality is "all right" but I'll have to remove the bird clock from the wall. Wish I had carpet instead of a tiled floor in this laundry room!!!

Isabel

Getting a quality recording if often quite difficult I think. I had to purchase quite a good microphone before I could get a quality I was happy with, but an aquaintance I once visited was getting superb quality from an off the shelp PC Mike.

I would say, try the web cam mike, but don't be too surprised if that doesn't return really good quality.

A point about the white line feature in v6.

It "strokes" the image and therefore, if that image is subjected to PZR, the line goes with it so for the purpose of creating a line around the SHOW its use is limited to only slides without PZR.

The PNG line is probably still the best way to go for that application.

Don't really have to do this.

I've decided I will use my Zoom H2 digital recorder in a carpeting room.

Isabel

Lay some old sheets or towels down when you do a recording session.

regards,

Peter

Good point! I'll try to remember it when I get version 6!

Isabel

A point about the white line feature in v6.

It "strokes" the image and therefore, if that image is subjected to PZR, the line goes with it so for the purpose of creating a line around the SHOW its use is limited to only slides without PZR.

The PNG line is probably still the best way to go for that application.

I have a couple of microphones which I used with my Sony Minidisc a while back.

I don't use the MInidisc these days, even though the sound is better than that from the H2 because the gum stick battery doesn't retain a charge - I don't use it frequently enough.

Isabel

Getting a quality recording if often quite difficult I think. I had to purchase quite a good microphone before I could get a quality I was happy with, but an aquaintance I once visited was getting superb quality from an off the shelp PC Mike.

I would say, try the web cam mike, but don't be too surprised if that doesn't return really good quality.