WnSoft Forums

3D Transform Tutorial/Demo Available

Lin Evans

Hi Folks,

I just added a new tutorial on 3D Transform to the PTE Made Easy (PTE For Smarties) section in the Tutorial forum here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7901

It's in the last position among the tutorial linked there. This reminder will be removed in a couple weeks..... The tutorial will show some of the reasons for the 3D Transform feature and explain the use.

Lin

Excellent tutorial, Lin! As always, thanks for taking the time to put this together. A few minutes watching the avi saved me many hours of experimentation. FYI, the link for the template you so generously supplied is broken. Would love to download it as well.

Thanks again!

Hi Mary,

I'm happy to hear that you found it useful. It isn't really detailed, but does explain the basics of the choices and a few things people might want to do with the features.

I moved my reflections template and my other one for video simulation under my name here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10658

Hopefully, this one is good. I can download from it so it seems to work from the above link. Let me know if it doesn't work for you and I'll re-post.

Best regards,

Lin

Excellent tutorial, Lin! As always, thanks for taking the time to put this together. A few minutes watching the avi saved me many hours of experimentation. FYI, the link for the template you so generously supplied is broken. Would love to download it as well.

Thanks again!

I moved my reflections template and my other one for video simulation under my name here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10658

Hopefully, this one is good. I can download from it so it seems to work from the above link. Let me know if it doesn't work for you and I'll re-post.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Folks,

I just added a new tutorial on 3D Transform to the PTE Made Easy (PTE For Smarties) section in the Tutorial forum...

Lin

Hi Lin, thanks for this marvellous tutorial. I downloaded it with my iMac and it works very good with Quicktime for Macintosh!

And by the way, for years now I'm admiring your marvellous hat,(of which I don't know name or brand or whatever of course), but remarkable it is, just like you. So, now I've said it!

Thanks again,

Henri.

Hi Henri,

Thanks! It's great to hear that the AVI will play well with Quicktime for Mac!

My hat thanks you too! It's a Stetson Crushable Wool type which I wear because the brim is very soft and doesn't interfere with my dSLR's viewfinder when photographing wildlife. We have strong winds in the Colorado mountains and the "chin strap" helps keep my hat from blowing away down the side of a mountain when doing high altitude photography. I button the bottom of the leather strap inside my top shirt or jacket button and even if the wind blows my hat off, it doesn't blow it away - LOL.

In earlier years when we still had horses and cattle, it helped keep my head warm and dry even when herding cattle in blizzard conditions. You can order them from Stetson here: Several models available:

http://www.stetsonhat.com/collections.php?prod_id=36

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin, thanks for this marvellous tutorial. I downloaded it with my iMac and it works very good with Quicktime for Macintosh!

And by the way, for years now I'm admiring your marvellous hat,(of which I don't know name or brand or whatever of course), but remarkable it is, just like you. So, now I've said it!

Thanks again,

Henri.

Hi Henri,

I tried playing Lin's tutorial on my Mac using Quicktime and got a message saying additional software is required. I got sound but no vision. Luckily it ran OK on my PC. Have you downloaded any Quicktime plug ins?

Kind regards

Peter

Thanks again,

Henri.

Hi Peter,

The AVI uses a DivX Mpeg 4 Fast Motion video codec. If that codec isn't resident on your Mac, it may not play the video.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether that codec is or is not available for certain QuickTime versions for the Mac so perhaps Henri can help you with what he has available.

It is apparently available here:

http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html#divxcodec

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Henri,

I tried playing Lin's tutorial on my Mac using Quicktime and got a message saying additional software is required. I got sound but no vision. Luckily it ran OK on my PC. Have you downloaded any Quicktime plug ins?

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

No. I didn't install any plugin for Quicktime,

but of course it's very well possible that some downloaded application did.

And I remember to have updated some new Apple software recently..

My iMac is a normal 20" machine made in 2008.

My advice is to try Lin's suggestion first, update your system software and if all that doesn't work let me know...

regards,

Henri.

Hi Lin,

Thanks for excellent demo. Makes me want to upgrade immediately but I think I will stay with 5.6 until Beta 6 stabilises.

Off topic: please tell what microphone you used and audio hardware/software for your excellent voice-over. (Or do you just talk through your hat?)

Regards, Jeff

I always keep my Mac software up to date so that is not an issue but I gave up and ran it on my PC! Good stuff thanks Lin.

On the subject of MP4 I just came across an MP4 file I made of a slide show and it runs in QuickTime on my Mac and on my PC BUT.... I can't remember how I made the MP4 file in the first place. Can anyone tell me how to do this please?

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Jeff,

I'm ashamed to tell you about the jury-rigged setup I have for recording, but here goes my story.... I was searching for a way to improve the sound quality and get a decent recording. The sound on my earlier tutorials was quite inconsistent so I went out and purchased an expensive directional microphone and discovered that to use it with my computer I had to have a preamp. I bought a preamp but never could get decent sound. It was either hum or squawk or a combination so after trying a few combination's I ended up with a $4.00 Radio Shack computer microphone. It's just a little condenser type mike with a push button for on and off. I taped it to an old headset my wife used for hands-free telephone work. The headset has a "stalk" with its own microphone, but I didn't have an adapter jack to try to convert it for the computer so I just used Scotch tape to affix the little Radio Shack mike to the stalk. It's adjustable so I can position it in such a way that I turn it "backward" so that I'm speaking to the back of the mike to avoid "plosive" sounds. I use an inexpensive little piece of software called Screen Recorder Gold which you can purchase here:

http://www.capture-screen.com/

I use a DivX Mpeg 4 fast motion codec and it seems to work out pretty well for most of my tutorials now. I'm absolutely certain there is a "much" better and more professional way to do it, but I just gave up trying to find an ideal solution.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thanks for excellent demo. Makes me want to upgrade immediately but I think I will stay with 5.6 until Beta 6 stabilises.

Off topic: please tell what microphone you used and audio hardware/software for your excellent voice-over. (Or do you just talk through your hat?)

Regards, Jeff

First, thanks Lin for the tutorial. It helped greatly to understand what I needed to do.

Now the question. On the part of making a reflection it is a full relection of the main image. What I wonder is there a way to make it look like the reflection is going at an angle. Is this possible to do?

Hi Max,

Yes, you can easily make the reflection at any angle both horizontally or vertically. You have complete control via the X and Y axis. The reflection I used was 180 degrees or a complete vertical flip, but you can set the angle to any degree for either the main image or the reflection or both.

Best regards,

Lin