WnSoft Forums

Thin vertical lines between split images....Why?

goddi

Greetings,

I was trying to get a little creative in PTE (V6-20) and I used Photoscape to split an image into 9 equal pieces. In PTE, I have slide#1 as the entire whole image; then, slide#2 contains the same image split into 9 pieces. I have these 9 pieces in slide#2 rotate and come back together to show the image as a complete whole image.

The problem I am running into is that when I Play slide#2 in O&A, and they rotate and come back together, it shows that it completes perfectly. However, when I do a Preview, a vertical thin black line shows up between pieces #4 & #5 and between pieces #8 & #9 in the completed image (pieces are numbered in the attachment).

I have tried everything I can think of to eliminate these lines but I have not been able to. I have even tried to overlap the images in various ways but no luck. Can anyone explain why it looks good in O&A but not in Preview?

Thanks... Gary

Added later: I finally was able to get rid of the lines by more fiddling around with the images--sliding them one click to the left (before it did not seem to work). But I am still wondering why it looked good in O&A but not in the final Preview.

Added later: And, even though now I don't see any thin vertical lines in O&A or in Preview for slide#2, I do see them when I look at slide#2 in the Miniviewer...

SheepdogSplit_Oct11-2009_17-04-48.zip

Hi Gary,

What magnification are you using in O&A? Crank it up to about 400% to do your pixel match and you shouldn't have any problems. A thin line between segments means that you don't have a perfect pixel match. This should be apparent at large magnification, but possibly not on a smaller screen.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I had it up to 500% and, in O&A, I did not see the thin black lines. That is what bugs me. You think you have them lined up in Q&A, but when Previewed, the lines show up. Makes it very difficult to get it cleared up. You would think it would be apparent in Q&A under a large scale.

Gary

============================

Hi Gary,

What magnification are you using in O&A? Crank it up to about 400% to do your pixel match and you shouldn't have any problems. A thin line between segments means that you don't have a perfect pixel match. This should be apparent at large magnification, but possibly not on a smaller screen.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

I'm not sure what the problem might be. I did a slice demo a while back and had not problems at all lining things up perfectly. I'm wondering if there might be some issue with your video driver, etc.? I'll test a few possibilities and get back to you. Did you by any chance not have a checkmark beside "low quality of resizing?" If not, put a checkmark there to avoid pixel rounding and try again.

Also, you may want to put all of you pieces under a rectangle as children so when and if you decide to do something in the way of animation with the combined image, you won't have a problem with realignment.

When you make fine adjustments to position of the pieces, don't use the mouse because it isn't precise enough. Do the very fine adjustments with numeric insertions.

I begin each "split" by aligning everything perfectly then write down the numeric for each piece's X and Y pan. This way you can manipulate the slices any way you want via the keyframe then simply enter the original keyframe numbers for each piece to reassemble them perfectly.

Lin

Greetings,

I was trying to get a little creative in PTE (V6-20) and I used Photoscape to split an image into 9 equal pieces.

Did you slice the original image at 100% magnification?

Just a thought before you investigate more complex issues.

Malcolm

I had this same problem with Photoshop!

Before going into the technical stuff, try putting a copy of the original (unsplit) image AFTER the split image that you have placed in the bottom slide list and have it fade quickly on screen.

Ron

Lin and others, see response below in Bold...

=============

Hi Gary,

I'm not sure what the problem might be. I did a slice demo a while back and had not problems at all lining things up perfectly. I'm wondering if there might be some issue with your video driver, etc.? I'll test a few possibilities and get back to you. Did you by any chance not have a checkmark beside "low quality of resizing?" If not, put a checkmark there to avoid pixel rounding and try again.

--I am not sure where I would find "low quality of resizing". I used Photoscape (not Photoshop) to do the split. I just took my full image and it did the split very nicely.

Also, you may want to put all of you pieces under a rectangle as children so when and if you decide to do something in the way of animation with the combined image, you won't have a problem with realignment.

--Ok..I will look into this. I normally don't like to use 'children' but I will look into what this does. Normally, it confuses me.... :blink:

When you make fine adjustments to position of the pieces, don't use the mouse because it isn't precise enough. Do the very fine adjustments with numeric insertions.

--Yes, I do this. But sometimes, even using the numeric movement don't line up the edges exactly right. There does not seem to be a method to...what's the word???...to attach one image to the next "magnetically"... I forgot the term.

I begin each "split" by aligning everything perfectly then write down the numeric for each piece's X and Y pan. This way you can manipulate the slices any way you want via the keyframe then simply enter the original keyframe numbers for each piece to reassemble them perfectly.

--Aha!!! I found the error of my ways. When I was trying to get the images aligned, I was playing with the wrong Keypoint. I had the initial Keypoint highlighted. I should have been playing with the ending Keypoint. Your suggestion above made me think this through. I copied the Pan setting (the left numeric Pan setting [X?]) for each image of each vertical row so they are all left-aligned the same. Da Da!!!! My problem seems to be that I have difficulty highlighting the ending Keypoints. I have to click around to finally get the correct Keypoint chosen. It might just me but I fixed the problem. Thanks for the pointer. Lesson learned.

Thanks very much!!!...Gary

Lin

Ronnie...

Yes, I was trying this to 'hid' the problem. But as you can see in my reply to Lin, his suggestion got me to figure out what I was doing wrong. Photoscape works really well for the splitting of images.

Thanks...Gary

=================

I had this same problem with Photoshop!

Before going into the technical stuff, try putting a copy of the original (unsplit) image AFTER the split image that you have placed in the bottom slide list and have it fade quickly on screen.

Ron

Davegee...

Since I solved the problem, this info might not mean much now. But, the original image was 3872x2592.

When Photoscape split it into 9 images, the results were:

Images 1,4 and 7 (the first vertical column) = each image was 1290x864.

Images 2,5,8 (second vertical column) and image 3,6 and 9 (the third vertical column) = each image was 1291x864.

It all added up correctly.

Gary

===============================

Gary,

Could you post your screen res and the res of the image you are splitting?

Your image width must be divisible by 9 in whole number divisions?

DG

Malcolm,

I used Photoscape (not Photoshop) to do the splitting. There is no choice to do anything other than 100%. It is a very neat program to use if you are doing any splitting of images.

Gary

=========================

Did you slice the original image at 100% magnification?

Just a thought before you investigate more complex issues.

Malcolm

--I am not sure where I would find "low quality of resizing". I used Photoscape (not Photoshop) to do the split. I just took my full image and it did the split very nicely.

Hi Gary,

You find the "low quality of resizing" in PTE - Objects and Animations - Property Tab

--Yes, I do this. But sometimes, even using the numeric movement don't line up the edges exactly right. There does not seem to be a method to...what's the word???...to attach one image to the next "magnetically"... I forgot the term.

I think the word you are looking for is "snap to grid" but it doesn't apply here unless you were using the grid feature. If you place a check mark beside "low quality of resizing" you "should" be able to line everything up perfectly.

--Ok..I will look into this. I normally don't like to use 'children' but I will look into what this does. Normally, it confuses me.... :blink:

Don't let it confuse you, it's really very simple. You add a rectangle before you place your objects. Next, highlight the word rectangle in the objects list, right click the mouse, choose "Add" then "New Image" choose the pieces by holding down the CTRL key on the key board and click each with the mouse. Then you simply click on "Open" and PTE will place the separate pieces offset under you image name. They are now "children" of the rectangle.

Any pans, zooms or rotates you perform on the rectangle object will be reflected with all the pieces, but you can also move the pieces independently of the parent rectangle. The "children" all inherit the motion of the parent rectangle, but may have their own movement independently as well.

So, if you want to zoom the assembled image, you don't need to zoom each piece individually. You just zoom the rectangle. If you want to pan the assembled image you pan the rectangle, if you want to rotate the assembled image, you rotate the rectangle. Play around with it and you will quickly see how it works.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin and others, see response below in Bold...

=============

Lin...

I never messed with "Low Quality of Resizing" because I never want anything to be "Low Quality..." on purpose. :D So I don't understand what this function does. I tried it and I don't see anything happening. I searched the Forum but found nothing. Can you please give me an explanation as to what this does and when to use it?

The reason I don't use 'children' is that I usually want to just copy text objects from one slide to another, and be placed in the exact same location. If I inserted the first text object as a 'child', the pasting of it in the second slide would not be in the exact same place. So I have been conditioned to not put text, or anything, as a 'child'. I don't do fancy multiple image animations as you explained. But thanks for the explanation. Maybe I'll try doing some in the future.

Thanks... Gary

PS Yes, Snap to Grid was what I was thinking. Any such thing as "snap to image"? Is this even possible? Seems it would be useful.

=============================

Greetings Morasoft,

Thanks for taking a look at the PTE show. I took a look at your Pan setting for Slide#2. You may have changed some of the keyframe's values. However, it looks like you did it by "eye". It looks OK but the only way to really get the 1-9 images lined up, is to adjust their positions using the Pan x and y values. Through Lin's suggestion, I now understand that the Pan x and y values can be copied over to their related images so that they line up exactly. It takes some time but it works.

Thanks... Gary

===================================

Hello goddi:

Here my adaptation. I only have changed some keyframe values, and took off others.

Excuse my english.

morasoft

Lin and Igor,

I think I have resolved how to get the image pieces lined up using the Pan's x and y values. It is clear to me now. Thanks to Lin's suggestion.

However, I am now confuses about your suggestions to use (not use) the "edge antialiasing" and the "low quality of resizing" features to line up of image pieces in a slide. In my problem, I did not have artifacts in high resolution images and I did not have white lines showing up in the slide. Can I now discount these 2 suggestions as I don't see that they relate to the problem I was having? Or am I still missing something?

The tutorial states:

The Edge antialiasing should be normally turned on. It is used to minimize the distortion of some artifacts of high resolution images, when they are shown at low resolution.

Low quality of resizing is the feature, which shouldn‘t be always used. It‘s helpful only when the quality of the image is not very good and you have white lines in your image.

Thanks... Gary

=================================

Gary,

It's known issue.

You need to turn off "Edge antialiasing" option for all pieces. See Objects & animation editor, Properties tab.

It should help.

Guest Yachtsman1

Made with Photoshop.

No lines visible.

It took about 15 minutes to put together

Ronadd reply.

Yachtsman1

I can't seem to get the attachment to load. Can somebody please explain how to do it?

Click browse under attachments, find attachment on your PC, click attachment, it will now load, click attach this file when loaded, preview then add reply

Yachtsman1

post-5560-125581813923_thumb.jpeg

Click browse under attachments, find attachment on your PC, click attachment, it will now load, click attach this file when loaded, preview then add reply

Yachtsman1

Thanks for that.

It seems that I was trying to load a 9mb attachment without realising that there is a 2mb limit.

Ron