WnSoft Forums

Crittercube Mac and PC

Lin Evans

thedom...

I was able to put Text in a couple of the sides of the cube. But for the other sides, it has been impossible. When I think I have put the text on the correct side, it appears on another side. I have also tried it on bjc's 'Little Book'. Putting text in the slides is not as obvious as it seems, at least to me. To it a bit more difficult, I happened to put 2 cubes back to back so when one is finished, a second one picks up after it. Kinda neat but I just can't figure out the proper way to put text in the images and be able to resize and move them.

Gary

Added later: I was able to add text to each of the sides of the Cubes. Not easy. I could not add text to an image directly. I had to go to the Properties/Picture to be sure I had the correct image, and then put the text in the Text window (using your pre-made text block). But I still can not highlight the indivdual text blocks and resize or move them. When I try, some other green frame pops up or I get the black image.

=====================

There is no reason you couldn't drag the text objects to a new location.

Are you sure you selected the keypoint of the text object before moving it ?

Great idea to make a screensaver. I'm wondering if I will not make one for me too. :lol:

Hi Gary,

Let me try to explain it to you.

A cube has six sides and two sides lie parallel with each other at all times.

Dom created three frames. Each frame lies in the center of one set of two sides of the cube. Imagine a cube (create one out of paper if it helps to visualize this) with a long hat pin pressed through the very center of one side and coming out the other side so that this pin goes exactly through the center of two of the parallel images. Now imagine that another long hat pin goes through two more images right in the center. In order to do this precisely, hat pin two would necessarily penetrate hat pin one. So if you were to remove the cube you would have two pins forming a perfect cross with all four lengths equal to one another. Now in your mind, put the cube back on the two pins and imagine a third hat pin through the exact center of the two remaining parallel sides of the cube. Now mentally remove the cube and what do you have left? You have a wire device with six pins (the top and bottom of each of the three) joined in the very center.

Now imagine that you number each of the cube sides from one through six. Then imagine that you cut them out so you have six square, identical flat pieces of paper, but with a different picture drawn on each. Now, carefully stick side 1 and two on opposite ends of the same hat pin, balanced perfectly in the very center. You now have two sides of a cube which are "controlled" by one of the original hat pins.

Now imagine that this hat pin has been replaced by an invisible "frame" in PTE. The frame, as a parent, controls the motion of the two cut out images. The images are rotated so that each are parallel to the plane of the frame. Frame one lies up and down. This would represent the "Y" axis.

Now imagine exactly the same for a second frame which lies horizontal with images 3 and 4. This would represent the "X" axis.

Now imagine exactly the same for a third "hat pin" frame which lies with one end of the hat pin facing you and the opposite end facing exactly away from you. This represents the "Z" axis.

This is how the cube which Dom has created works. One frame which is oriented at 90 degrees on the X axis has two images it controls which form the top and bottom of the cube. To get in proper orientation, the top image is rotated 180 degrees on its "Y" axis which the bottom image is moved to 100 on the "Z" axis.

The next frame controlling the right and left side of the cube (as oriented from your line of sight) has its frame rotated -90 degrees on the "Y" axis and to properly orient the two sides the one on your right is oriented 180 degrees on the "Y" axis and 100 on the "Z" axis (pan "Z").

The next frame controlling the front and back images (from your orientation) is set to zero on "X", "Y", and "Z", while the cube side facing you is at zero for "X" and "Y" and -100 for the "Z" pan depth while the side opposite is zero on the "X" axis, "180" on the "Y" axis and 100 on pan "Z".

If you rotate the controlling frame for each pair of sides, you will see how this works.

So what you have are three frames all as children of a controlling frame each having two child image "sides" of the cube. By precise alignment for depth ("Z" axis) and rotation orientation via "X" and "Y" axis, a perfect "cube" is formed.

The "Whole Cube" frame controls the three child frames which in turn each hold two child images in proper orientation to form the cube.

Best regards,

Lin

Also, I don't have any idea how you made this template. It is driving me crazy trying to understand it!!! But, thankfully, you can do it. My wife saw me updating your template with our own images and she was impressed and asked if she could have it has a screen saver. Of course I said 'NO, it was just an exe file'. But then I remembered that PTE has the screensaver function that I have never used before. I tried it and your 3D Cube makes a GREAT screensaver file.

Thanks much. Gary

=========================

Lin,

Thanks very much for taking the time for such a detailed explanation. The 'pins' and 'frame' references were helpful. I probably will never be able to create one of these cubes but as least now it is more understandable.

The problem I still have is that I find it impossible to actually find the Text that I have put on an image in the cube and be able to adjust it or move the Text. For example, I was able to locate an image, 'PIC06', using Properties/Picture; then clicking on 'PIC06 Text' child in the Objects window, I put in Text for the PIC06 image. However, after that, there seems no way to then find that Text to adjust or move it. Very frustrating but I can't believe it can't be done. I just can't find a way. If I click on a keyframe that seem to be the one to click on, I get a black frame or green rectangles. The Text seems to be hidden behind the frames. I was able to get one Text selected and moved...but I can't reproduce it with the images on the cube. If I get the handles to appear around the Text, and try to click on it, the handles disappear.

Has anyone tried this??? I'd appreciate it anyone can tell me if it can be done.

Thanks... Gary

======================

Hi Gary,

Let me try to explain it to you.

A cube has six sides and two sides lie parallel with each other at all times....

Best regards,

Lin

Gary,

I think Tom has the answer.

To move the text, be sure to enable the option "Ignore objects not selected" (in O/A window, Tools button at the bottom right).

Then select the [ PIC06 TEXT ] object in the objects list.

This object has only one keypoint but it's out of the timeline (sorry for this, I didn't pay attention and realize it might be confusing).

Change the keyframe Time of this object and set it to 18.000 (instead of 81.806).

(By doing this, you make the text "visible" - Try to move slowly the keypoint along the timeline, you will understand what I mean).

Now you can pan the object (or even zoom it) with your mouse.

Hope it helps.

Lin,

Thank you for the explanations, you have a natural gift to explain.

thedom, Lin, and others...

Thanks for all your help, but I am going to have to put this on the back burner. I am not making progress. I couldn't even find the 81.806 keyframe setting for PIC06 TEXT. When I am able (rarely) to get to a Text object, the image is upside down and in a position that does not lend to making the adjustments correctly. There has to be an easier way to put text in 3D shows.

I think my brain does not work in 3D. I'll keep playing with it but I am just not getting it. :(

Thanks all...

Gary

=======================

Gary,

I think Tom has the answer.

To move the text, be sure to enable the option "Ignore objects not selected" (in O/A window, Tools button at the bottom right).

Then select the [ PIC06 TEXT ] object in the objects list.

This object has only one keypoint but it's out of the timeline (sorry for this, I didn't pay attention and realize it might be confusing).

Change the keyframe Time of this object and set it to 18.000 (instead of 81.806).

(By doing this, you make the text "visible" - Try to move slowly the keypoint along the timeline, you will understand what I mean).

Now you can pan the object (or even zoom it) with your mouse.

Hope it helps.

Lin,

Thank you for the explanations, you have a natural gift to explain.

Hi Peter...

I'm between a rock and a hard place. The motherboard on my PC died yesterday. I had to order a replacement MB from China...it is so out of date, no one else seem to have one. So I have to put off our experimenting with the 3D for a while. :(

Gary

=================

Gary,

I've sent you a PM

regards,

Peter

• 4 years later...

Hi Philippe,

The template is free and you can download it by going here:

http://www.learnpte.com/learn/learn.html

Scroll down to number 34 and you can also download tutorials on how to use this.

Also keep in mind that with PTE 8.0, you have a cube "style" which you can access by first loading six images or animated gifs or videos or any combination and selecting them by holding down the CTRL key and clicking on any six. Next click the "Slide Style" button then click on "Experimental" tab and choose "Cube." Next simply choose "Apply" and you will instantly have a cube with either six images or any combination of images, videos or animated gifs.

Best regards,

Lin