WnSoft Forums

Startup Screen in 6.0

daveharris

I've just installed v6.0, having not tried any of the betas. Opened a show created without a startup screen in 5.6.4. and it runs fine.

Decided to add a startup screen, I went to Project Options | Advanced | "Customised windows" button and checked "Show Startup Window", edited the window and inserted a title. I then ran the show in "preview" and got what I expected - my customised screen - pressed "run" and off we go!

Compiled an .exe and tried to run the file.

Got the attached screen instead albeit with the correct caption. Have I misunderstood the function of the startup screen or forgotten to do something please?

P.C. is running Windows Vista Home Premium with all latest patches installed.

Regards,

Dave

post-2228-125728104264_thumb.jpg

I can confirm I was running v6.0. Did a bit more analysis and this is what I found:

• A show created new in v6.0 has the correct startup screen,
    A show created in 5.6 that has never had a startup screen has the correct screen added, and
    A show created in earlier versions, had a startup screen that was removed in the earlier version exhibits the issue described above, which leaves me wondering if there is something slightly out of place in the .pte file

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Dave

Just a thought on this, is it a "user error" brought about by not fully understanding the implications of the file associations between the .pte extension and the two versions of PTE that are installed?

Although Windows will happily let you associate the same file extension with many programs, only one such association can be "the default association" that is used when you double-click on a file of that particular extension.

Could it be that the default association is still with PTE v5.6.4 whereas the user thinks it is with PTE v6.0?

As other posts in the past have proven, this can be a source of confusion for PTE users with multiple versions installed. I'll admit, it even catches me out occasionally if I don't concentrate on exactly what I'm doing!

regards,

Peter

Just a thought on this, is it a "user error" brought about by not fully understanding the implications of the file associations between the .pte extension and the two versions of PTE that are installed?

Although Windows will happily let you associate the same file extension with many programs, only one such association can be "the default association" that is used when you double-click on a file of that particular extension.

Could it be that the default association is still with PTE v5.6.4 whereas the user thinks it is with PTE v6.0?

As other posts in the past have proven, this can be a source of confusion for PTE users with multiple versions installed. I'll admit, it even catches me out occasionally if I don't concentrate on exactly what I'm doing!

regards,

Peter

Peter the .pte file was opened from within v6.0

Opening the .pte file is notepad shows

CreationTool=PicturesToExe Deluxe 6.00

PteVersion=6.00

globalversion=1

minorversion=15

Regards,

Dave

O.K. chaps, I've solved the problem but don't ask me how!

I have been very careful throughout my testing to ensure that the date/time stamp of created .exes was updated.

Tonight I deleted the .exe and recreated it - all went fine. So I went to my backup and brought back the exe from Tuesday and that ran correctly as well.

I don't suppose I will ever get to the bottom of it - but many thanks to you all for your help and ideas.

If somebody can come up with an answer ....

Regards,

Dave