WnSoft Forums

PTE 5.5 and Windows 7

Fersigo

Hi Folks, I've upgraded to 64-bit Windows 7 and, although nearly all my software is running fine, PTE 5.5 seems unhappy. It's kind of "sticky" - when running a preview for example, the time counter stops at the beginning of each slide transition and then jumps to the correct time at the end of the transition. There are also big delays when moving from the "slide sorter" view back to normal view - it seems to hang for 30 seconds or so, then starts again. Otherwise the PC seems fine - better than with Vista anyway!

Does anyone know if there is a fix out there, or is v5.5 just not compatible with Win 7?

Many thanks,

John

John...

Just to narrow down your problem, I have just installed PTE 6.0 into Windows7, but the 32 bit version. I see no problems so far. Might be just a 64 bit problem, but others should give you some feedback.

Gary

==========================

Hi Folks, I've upgraded to 64-bit Windows 7 and, although nearly all my software is running fine, PTE 5.5 seems unhappy. It's kind of "sticky" - when running a preview for example, the time counter stops at the beginning of each slide transition and then jumps to the correct time at the end of the transition. There are also big delays when moving from the "slide sorter" view back to normal view - it seems to hang for 30 seconds or so, then starts again. Otherwise the PC seems fine - better than with Vista anyway!

Does anyone know if there is a fix out there, or is v5.5 just not compatible with Win 7?

Many thanks,

John

John

Not sure what your comment "better than Vista anyway" means. Are you talking about the general running of your computer or PTE running better. I have been running V5.6 and V6.0 on 64bit Vista Business without any problems. I'm moving to Windows 7 64bit next week so will be interested to hear from others.

John

Hi John, I just meant the PC was running better. I had PTE running fine under Vista x64 though, and didn't expect any issues when I moved to win 7. Rgds, John

John

Not sure what your comment "better than Vista anyway" means. Are you talking about the general running of your computer or PTE running better. I have been running V5.6 and V6.0 on 64bit Vista Business without any problems. I'm moving to Windows 7 64bit next week so will be interested to hear from others.

John

Hi John,

I have been running Windows 7 x64 throughout the betas and I am now using the Windows 7 x64 Professional version.

During all that time I had no problems with PTE 5.6 or 5.6.4 (or now with version 6) - however I did have a problem with delayed loading of PTE exec files, but this was down to a problem with AVG which was taking absolute ages to scan even the smallest PTE exe files. I switched from AVG to another Antivirus program (Avira) and that particular problem went completely away. I don't think I tried anything in 5.5 though.

I wonder if it might be video card related - which card do you have, and more importantly, have you updated the drivers to the latest 64-bit drivers from the video card manufacturers web site. Windows 7 ships with many drivers but it is best to install the latest drivers from the manufacturers web site.

Hi Carol, many thanks for these suggestions. A few months ago I moved from AVG to Norton Internet Security 2009 for exactly the reasons you describe, and have had no problem since. My video card is a GeForce 8400GS which seems to have had ample power for my applications and I got the latest nVidia drivers when I was installing Windows 7. The nVidia drivers might be "buggy" though - but that should affect other applications like DVD playback, which seems fine. I'm beginning to have stabbing pains in my wallet - maybe I'll have to upgrade to PTE6! Many thanks again, Carol. Rgds, John

Hi John,

I have been running Windows 7 x64 throughout the betas and I am now using the Windows 7 x64 Professional version.

During all that time I had no problems with PTE 5.6 or 5.6.4 (or now with version 6) - however I did have a problem with delayed loading of PTE exec files, but this was down to a problem with AVG which was taking absolute ages to scan even the smallest PTE exe files. I switched from AVG to another Antivirus program (Avira) and that particular problem went completely away. I don't think I tried anything in 5.5 though.

I wonder if it might be video card related - which card do you have, and more importantly, have you updated the drivers to the latest 64-bit drivers from the video card manufacturers web site. Windows 7 ships with many drivers but it is best to install the latest drivers from the manufacturers web site.

Just a quick update - I've now upgraded to PTE 6.0 and have the same problems. Basically PTE does not work on my PC with Windows 7, but it worked fine with all the same hardware and Windows Vista. Oh, dear, now I'm in a fix. Rgds, John

Fersigo,

I agree with Carol ... that your issue is more video driver related or Direct X version related

-Is your issue also being relative to the playback of compiled slide shows ?

-Whats the Direct X version your video card supports and have you re-installed it for your trouble-shoot tests ?

Test for PTE :

Open PTE (v6) and select from the menu bar View | Advanced Options |

enable/disable these various settings:

Show Real Slides in Mini-Player

Show Real Slides in Slide List

Minimize Video Card Usuage (for slow PC)

The above settings are all related to PTE GUI and its usuage of direct 3D for image display.

Note:

I would not generally assume since your DVD playback seems fine that your video card drivers are working correctly.

Carol (and Fersigo)

I realize that you have already switched away from AVG Anti-virus, but for others using AVG and finding it slow opening .exe files, see:

here

See postings #8, 10, 12, 13

Hi nobeefstu, a big step forward, many thanks. With the "Minimise video card usage" selected and the other two "real slide" options de-selected, the issue disappears. I can no longer play the show in the main window (the controls are greyed-out) but that is a price I will happily pay for now.

There is no problem with playing executable files.

I'm running Direct X 11 and, having gone through Start -> Run -> dxdiag, the diagnostic window that pops up seems to indicate everything is working normally. As far as I can see, my video card (GeForce 8400GS) is stated to be compatible with DirectX 10 so perhaps there's a conflict there. I have to say I'm right at the outer limits of my technical knowledge here! I may try un-installing the nVidia drivers and see if I can replace them with the generic ones that came with Windows 7 ... but as you will probably have guessed, this is my "try-everything-and-see-what-works" approach!

Thanks again, though, you've been a big help.

Fersigo,

I agree with Carol ... that your issue is more video driver related or Direct X version related

-Is your issue also being relative to the playback of compiled slide shows ?

-Whats the Direct X version your video card supports and have you re-installed it for your trouble-shoot tests ?

Test for PTE :

Open PTE (v6) and select from the menu bar View | Advanced Options |

enable/disable these various settings:

Show Real Slides in Mini-Player

Show Real Slides in Slide List

Minimize Video Card Usuage (for slow PC)

The above settings are all related to PTE GUI and its usuage of direct 3D for image display.

Note:

I would not generally assume since your DVD playback seems fine that your video card drivers are working correctly.

I'm running Direct X 11 and, having gone through Start -> Run -> dxdiag, the diagnostic window that pops up seems to indicate everything is working normally. As far as I can see, my video card (GeForce 8400GS) is stated to be compatible with DirectX 10 so perhaps there's a conflict there.

Hi Fersigo,

I can confirm that I have no problem with an nVidia 8400 GS using DirectX 10, so perhaps your use of DirectX 11 with your card is contributing to your problems.

regards,

Peter