WnSoft Forums

Possible Windows 7 problems

Severn Bore

Hi

I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 at the weekend, having first read how easy it was and how stable and efficient the OS was. However, I have had a number of niggling problems including difficulty in running PtoE v 6. If I open an existing project or create a new one I can load slides into the project, but cannot move them about in the slide tray or in the full window. The program just freezes. If I try to provoke it into action the program starts to flicker and the icon on the task bar flashes and moves about the taskbar like a mad thing. Eventually I have to open Task Manager and close the program.

I never had any problems with either Vista or XP beforehand. I tried using PtoE 5.6 which I still have on my PC, but with the same result.

Any ideas please?

Hi Yachtsman, Shouldn't be a resource problem as I am running a quad core with 3gb of RAm and a half empty Terrabyte hard drive. I am beginning to wonder whether there is a problem with Direct X. I have a reasonable nVidia graphics card with 256 Mb of Ram.

Severn...

I recently got a new PC with Windows 7. I just tried opening an old PTE show and moved images around in the Slide List and in the Fullscreen view. I had no problems; it worked smoothly.

My setup is Windows 7 32 bit (not upgraded from Vista); a QuadCore i5-750; 4 Gb Ram; nVidia GTS 250 1 Gb.

This might not help but just to let you know that I haven't seen the problems you are having. If you need me to check any other setting, let me know.

Gary

===========================

Hi

I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 at the weekend, having first read how easy it was and how stable and efficient the OS was. However, I have had a number of niggling problems including difficulty in running PtoE v 6. If I open an existing project or create a new one I can load slides into the project, but cannot move them about in the slide tray or in the full window. The program just freezes. If I try to provoke it into action the program starts to flicker and the icon on the task bar flashes and moves about the taskbar like a mad thing. Eventually I have to open Task Manager and close the program.

I never had any problems with either Vista or XP beforehand. I tried using PtoE 5.6 which I still have on my PC, but with the same result.

Any ideas please?

Hi tom95521

I have tried that, but to no avail. Task manager shows low CPU activity and moderate memory usage when PtoE is having its "Not Responding" fit. I have tried opening up about 20 large JPEGs in Photoshop CS4 at the same time to see if that is adversely affected by memory issues, but I was able to undertake various procedures without any hint of trouble.

I am currently at a loss as to what to try next, short of throwing the PC out of the window! A clean install of Win 7 is the last thing I want to do as it would take me days to reinstall everything I have on my hard drive.

I wonder if admin has any ideas as he is usually right on the button. When PtoE throws a wobbly the tool bar and header flash quickly and erratically and the "Not responding" warning also flashes like morse code. It happens a soon as I try to move any slides into the slide bar or to move them within it. Haven't been able to find out if anything else is affected as I have neen unable to get any further.

Hi Seven ,

I good friend of mine Fersigo posted a similar issue on the forum on the 07 10 09. He had some results with the advice given by some members here. I believe Direct X came into the equation with certain 'drivers' as well. I think he changed some advanced options settings in the View menu in PTE.

Might be worth looking at the posts.

Good luck

Anthony

Severn,

Have you installed Nvidia's new Windows 7 driver that supports cards all the way to Geforce 6 that is DirectX 9 ?

For users that happen to have AMD-ATI-DirectX 9 rated videocards ... It appears that some AMD’s DirectX 9 ATI Radeon graphics accelerators are not officially supported under Windows 7.

You might want to read this info as a start:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13〈=English

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16168/1/

Hi

I have installed Win 7 drivers for all that needed it, including Geforce 9 with DirectX11 support. Apart from an ongoing problem with my Orange Livebox connection (I have to unplug the ethernet cable when I shut down windows and only reonnect it after start up) everything apart from PtoE seems to be steaming along quite well, including DVD films, which put quite a strain on any videocard.

I am reluctant to undertake a clean install just for PtoE, but on the other hand I cannot really enjoy my photography without PtoE! However, I have so much on my PC (But I am convinced that is not the cause of any problem) it would take too much time to reinstall everything.

Hoping that Igor can suggest something.

Severn,

Have you tried testing the PicturesToExe.exe v6 on your Windows 7 in a different Compatibilty Mode and/or disabling the Visual Themes ?

I dont know what settings/modes other users of PTE with Windows7-32bit may be using ... but the normal recourse is to test any program that is not working up to par in a last known working compatibility mode to see if better results.

To check/set the compatibility modes the program is using ... right-click the exe, and select Properties then the Compatibility tab. There should also be some sort a Visual Themes settings/checkbox. In alot of cases its just the Visual Themes/Aero Desktop setting that causes issues in particular programs.

Hi nobeefstu,

I am hopeful that your suggestion has resolved the problem. I have made the changes in your message and PtoE seems to be running OK! It is now being run as an XP program, but I cannot understand why I have experienced a problem that others on Win 7 have not encountered.

I am most genuinely grateful for your advice, which seems to have saved me a lot of heartache and frustration.

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Severn Bore

nobeefstu...

I have been following the problem that Severn has been having with his Windows7-32bit and PTE 6.0. I have not had any problems with my Windows7 and PTE 6.0. But I took a look at the Properties tab to see what it had. My Properties for PTE does not have a Compatibility tab. I looked at other programs that I have installed and some do and some don't. I wonder if the fact that Severn has the Compatibility tab and I don't might mean something. My Windows7 was an original install, not an upgrade from Vista. I wonder if this might have something to do with the problem??? Just wondering.

Gary

============================

Severn,

Have you tried testing the PicturesToExe.exe v6 on your Windows 7 in a different Compatibilty Mode and/or disabling the Visual Themes ?

I dont know what settings/modes other users of PTE with Windows7-32bit may be using ... but the normal recourse is to test any program that is not working up to par in a last known working compatibility mode to see if better results.

To check/set the compatibility modes the program is using ... right-click the exe, and select Properties then the Compatibility tab. There should also be some sort a Visual Themes settings/checkbox. In alot of cases its just the Visual Themes/Aero Desktop setting that causes issues in particular programs.

Hi Goddi

My PtoE does have a compatabilty tab as you can see from my previous post. nobeefstu's suggestion seems to have solved the problem

You might be right about ubgrade v clean install, although all of the advice seemed to be that there should be no problem simply upgrading from a "good" version of Vista.

I've also been following this thread with interest. I have a question (just curiosity on my part):

Severn Bore, why did you decide to upgrade to Windows 7? Was your Vista system not working properly?

I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and am just wondering whether your Vista system was, to your mind, "broke" in some way.

regards,

Peter

Hi nobeefstu etc.

Firstly, it appears nobeefstu's suggestions regrettably have not resolved the problem after all :( . Immediately after changing the compatability (toXP) everything seemed fine. However, I had to leave the PC so switched off the program and when I returned the old problems had come back. I have reset compatability a number of times using different options and also uninstalled and reinstalled PtoE before repeating the process, but to no avail! So if you have any more ideas they would be very welcome..........

Turning to Peter's question, I have been asking myself the same question ever since upgrading at the weekend! My Vista system was working fine and I changed because of all of the reports saying how marvellous Win 7 was; how it speeded up systems; started and shut down quicker than Vista and was not so bloated.Also that it was a "doddle" to upgrade from Vista. I also fancied a change.

If only I could turn the clock back, but unfortunately I did not copy my disc settings etc so am stuck with Win 7 unless I go through the lengthy and tedious rigmarole of reinstalling Vista or undertaking a clean install of Win 7, which might solve the problems.

As a footnote, when running the compatabilty wizard Microsoft identifies PtoE as an incompaible program, but I suspect that is simply because the compatabilty process was initiated by me the user. PtoE was not identified as such when I ran the Win7 compatabilty check prior to upgrading.

Andrew (Severn Bore)

If its any help...I got a free copy of win7 when I bought a new computer back in June. I got it in the mail from packard bell in October and done the upgrade. I felt that there was still a lot of vista left in there and a few progies didnt run as they did, so bit the bullet and done a clean install. Now its great. fast and slick. No problems at all. My system is 64 bit quad core 3 gig processors and a 1 gig nVidia graphics, 4 gig ram. The answer seem to be in a clean install. Not what you want to hear but possibly your only answer.

Severn,

Firstly, it appears nobeefstu's suggestions regrettably have not resolved the problem after all . Immediately after changing the compatability (toXP) everything seemed fine. However, I had to leave the PC so switched off the program and when I returned the old problems had come back. I have reset compatability a number of times using different options and also uninstalled and reinstalled PtoE before repeating the process, but to no avail! So if you have any more ideas they would be very welcome

Seems strange the Compatibilty Mode settings of the exe changed on its own after being closed and restarted.

How did you reopen/launch the PTE program after making the initial settings ? (double-click file or program short-cut).

Note: I should have mentioned that you also need to make sure all your pre-existing v6 short-cuts have the same Compatibilty Mode settings as the program exe or the program will run at the short-cuts specified settings. (Its possible to set the program short-cut(s) to different settings to make the program behave differntly in user prefered situations.) Right-click the short-cut(s), and select Properties then the Compatibility tab and check/set their settings to match the program's exe settings.

If all this continues to fail ... read this topic/post as a temporary measure till Igor sorts this out for the few OS that are experiencing your same issue.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10941&view=findpost&p=70909

Added-On

Here is a few general checks and tests a user should always perform when installing any new OS, hardware, or software. This may help to reveal possible issues or conflicts you may not even be aware of.

-Run DirectX Diagnosic Tool and perform all its related tests which may help to report possible issues or conflicts.

-Always check your OS Hardware Device Manager for any displayed warnings (icons)

-Always check your OS Event Viewer for any Application or System event log warning reports. The Event Log service starts automatically when you start Windows. All users can view application and system logs. Only administrators can gain access to security logs.

See : Microsoft - View more details about an event

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/nt_viewdetail_how_ev.mspx

nobeefstu...

I have been following the problem that Severn has been having with his Windows7-32bit and PTE 6.0. I have not had any problems with my Windows7 and PTE 6.0. But I took a look at the Properties tab to see what it had. My Properties for PTE does not have a Compatibility tab. I looked at other programs that I have installed and some do and some don't. I wonder if the fact that Severn has the Compatibility tab and I don't might mean something. My Windows7 was an original install, not an upgrade from Vista. I wonder if this might have something to do with the problem??? Just wondering.

Gary

============================

Gary,

I dont have Windows 7 ... and have never seen it up-close and personal to check out its actual workings. I can only suspect Windows 7 may have settings which display/reveal certain functions or it may be as simple as according to the type Edition you purchased. Its also a good idea from now on to report what Windows 7 Edition the user has to help Igor narrow these new OS conflicts and issues.

nobeefstu...

I found my 'Compatibility' tab. Originally, I looked at the Properties of the PTE6 in the Start/Programs. The Properties tab of PTE6 did not show a Compatibility tab, as I reported.

However, I also have a shortcut to PTE6 in my Microsoft Toolbar (Office 2000). I just happened to look at the Properties there and it does show the Compatibility tab. Everything is greyed out so I am not sure what this all means. I have attached an image of the tab in a Word doc.

For the record, my Windows 7 is the Professional V6.1 Build 7600.

Gary

==============================

Gary,

I dont have Windows 7 ... and have never seen it up-close and personal to check out its actual workings. I can only suspect Windows 7 may have settings which display/reveal certain functions or it may be as simple as according to the type Edition you purchased. Its also a good idea from now on to report what Windows 7 Edition the user has to help Igor narrow these new OS conflicts and issues.

Compatibility Tab.doc

Gary,

I just happened to look at the Properties there and it does show the Compatibility tab. Everything is greyed out so I am not sure what this all means.

Being that you see the greyed-out options means they are available but not accessible for changes.

Most likely your not logged in as Administrator or the user account your using does not have the privileges setup to access or modify these settings. Usually the higher-grade Editions have more finely tuned settings to control user account access & restrictions. You may need to clearly define and enable this access in your particular Windows 7 version.

Hi again nobeefstu

Once again, many thanks for your help.

I checked that both the shortcut and the exe shared the same compatabilty settings and when I opened the program evrything seemd OK for the first few processes. I was able to add slides to the list and move their sequence. I then opened the slide list view, but the trouble reappeared. PtoE was then restarted after having to be closed via task manager and everything froze when I tried to move a slide.

After again reopening, I tried your suggestion of deselecting the various advanced options and, hey presto, evrything is working at present. I have tried a selection of processes and all seems OK, but in view of what previously happened, am holding my breath.

I also did a DirectX diag (although I had previously tried this) and no problems were found under any of the tabs.The same applies to Device Manager - no problems flagged. However, I could make little sense of the events log!

I have not tried running PtoE under Win 7 with the deselections already mentioned - mainly because I do not know how to undo the simulated XP OS under which it is currently running.

Nevertheless I am content with the current situation (if it continues) until Igor has found a fix and many thanks again for the time and effort you have devoted to my problem. It is sincerely much appreciated and is typical of this excellent forum

As a matter of interest, just in case I was reluctantly forced to give up on PtoE I downloaded trial copies of ProShow Professional and the Magix equivalent. Both of them run on my PC without any glitches. HOWEVER, I did not find either of them to be a patch on PtoE and would only switch to them under duress! :)

Also, am I losing anything of note by deselcting the original slides options as I cannot see a difference?

nobeefstu...

I am the 'Administrator' on my PC. I went back to see the Properties/Compatibility tab. As I mentioned, the items were all greyed-out. But I clicked on the "Run this program in..." and the menu opened up. So it actually will allow me to choose another mode, if needed. Interesting... There is much to learn in this Windows7.

One other possibility for Severn to try. If he has the Professional or greater version (I think) of Windows7, he can try to install PTE6 in the 'WindowsXP mode' and run it from there. It would be a good test to see if that solves his problems for now. I had to install an older version of my backup software in the 'WindowsXP mode' because it is not compatible with Windows7. (But this backup program would only recognize my C: SATA drive but not my D: or E:, which are two separate physical SATA hard drives. Not sure if that is a SATA issue or Windows7 issue, but I got a new backup program that works in Windows7). Maybe PTE would run better for Severn in this 'WindowsXP mode'.

Hope it helps..

Gary

===============================

Gary,

Being that you see the greyed-out options means they are available but not accessible for changes.

Most likely your not logged in as Administrator or the user account your using does not have the privileges setup to access or modify these settings. Usually the higher-grade Editions have more finely tuned settings to control user account access & restrictions. You may need to clearly define and enable this access in your particular Windows 7 version.

Hi Gary

I have in fact tried that (see earlier postings)but with no success. I am now running PtoE with the restricted settings suggested by nobeefstu and that seems to have worked.

Thanks for your interest in my problem.

Andrew

Andrew...

I am not really sure if we are talking about the same thing. If I am understanding what you did, you changed the 'compatibility' selection by going into the Properties tab of PTE6. My suggestion was to use 'Windows Virtual PC' (which you will find in Start/All Programs/Windows Virtual PC/WindowsXP Mode) where you actually install PTE6 in its 'WindowsXP Mode'. Maybe there is no difference but I would think there is. Not all versions of Windows7 have this capability. When you enter the 'WindowsXP Mode', it looks like you are in WindowsXP, and maybe you are. I am just leaning about Windows7 so maybe I am off base here, but I don't think what you tried was what I was suggesting. See if your version of Windows7 has this capability. After I installed my old backup program in the 'WindowsXP Mode', I don't even see it in Windows7's Program list. I have to get into 'WindowsXP Mode' to see it. There must be a difference????

Gary

=========================

Hi Gary

I have in fact tried that (see earlier postings)but with no success. I am now running PtoE with the restricted settings suggested by nobeefstu and that seems to have worked.

Thanks for your interest in my problem.

Andrew