WnSoft Forums

Digital Frames that play PTE outputs?

goddi

Greetings,

I have noticed that some of the Digital Frames now say that they play 'AVI' and 'MP4' formats. So I am thinking it would be a nice present to give a family member a Digital Frame with something I created in PTE. However, there are so many out there now, testing each one would be a major project. Some say they play 'AVIs', other say 'video playback'; some are 800x480 others are 480x234, etc; some are 8", or 9" or 10", etc. Too many variable for me to comprehend.

I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with these digital frames and if they can recommend or give warnings about any of them for playing outputs from PTE.

Thanks... Gary

Hello Gary,

This is a very good question and I am very interested in the answer so will be watching your thread daily.

I do hope that we can get some feedback on this because, I agree with you that a digital frame that will play PTE output will be great.

Thanks for posing the question.

Ron West

Peter...

When they first came out, they were 'silent' slideshows. But now, many seem to have audio capabilities (speakers). I'd like to know if anyone has really been able to play a PTE created show on one of these devices...what format is the best; what works; what doesn't work; quality of images and sound...

I think it would be an interesting extension to show a PTE slideshow. I am trying to produce an AVI and a MP4 and see if I can try them at stores. But I see that creating an AVI really is taking a long time. I hope they fits on one of my memory sticks!

Gary

======================

Do these Digital Frame devices have audio capability or are they essentially a silent device?

regards,

Peter

Gary,

I think there are two levels of testing that you need to consider:

- does it work at all? (for which just a couple of images and a snatch of sound will be enough)

- does it handle my usual transitions, animations, etc.? (for which a more complex sequence would be appropriate)

In both cases, a key question to be answered is: what is the image and sound quality like?

Like Ron, I'm going to be following this thread with interest.

regards,

Peter

Gary!

Like Peter said make some small snippets of PTE ( 5-10 images) and save them as AVI but you will have to go into the AVI advance settings and there you will have to pick the correct compression sceem for the display to be able to play it. So the first thing you should do is try to figure out what type of AVI is OK for the display and go from there.

The most common ones are Microsoft Video 1 - Intel Indeo Video 4.5 - Cinepack Codec by Radius - Divex 5.2.1 Codec and about 4 or 5 different MPG 4

I had lots of problem with my Epson 2000 viwer but eventually figured out the right compression to play PTE projects on it with very good quality.

There is no reason why it should not work.

Just make notes of what you are doing and put the codec as file name on each save, so when you test them you will not get lost..

Good luck

Laszlo

Hi Howard!

In the Epson 2000 manual on page 28 you will find 4 different codecs and you will have to try them. It is quirky but works most of the times. I used the motion JPEG setting but sometimes you will have to re-do it because possible glitch in prosses of compressing the file. Try it with some very short (2-3 minutes) projects. Now I use the P-3000 and that creates its own files from PTE's AVI save window with no problem. If you don't have the Manual here is the link to the PDF format of it.

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/p2k___/p2k___u1.pdf

Laszlo

Hi all

I received a Digital Photo Frame as a present from my daughter, it is a John Lewis own brand here is the link http://www.johnlewis.com/230672167/Product.aspx Its a 10inch frame, 8inch screen size 800 x 600 resolution, aspect ratio 4:3, internal memory of 1GB, has a USB port to connect directly to a PC, supports memory cards SD/MMC/MS/SDHC/XD/CF, photo format is jpg,plays back MP3 music files and MP4, Motion Jpeg video files. Quality of image is very good, better than quite a few that I looked at. I have loaded a few MP4 videos created in PTE and all played flawlessly, incidently its possible create playlists and also to play a MP3 file whilst browsing photos, a quick instant slide show with transitions, (not as polished as a PTE show) but very handy if you want to showcase your photos with a music/narrated background. I can highly recommend it.

Regards

Tom

http://picasaweb.google.com/OlympusTom