WnSoft Forums

techie terms

lochderg

I want to burn several copies of a DVD video disc & retain a ready to use file for future copies-when I successfully burn a disc & create an ISO image I am immediately denied access to my dvd recorder (by pic to exe) & have to opt for a 'lesser; recorder for the 2nd burn & I still haven't a clue what to do with this iso image -I've researched it to a certain extent but it's the usual problem -I've found out that it;s " an archive file (also known as a disc image) of an optical disc in a format defined by the International Organization for Standardization " but I still need the guy in the pub to actually TELL me what it is & what I do with it & is it what I'm looking for- it's a bit like the bottom of this page-I now want to post this but the button at the bottom asks if I want to 'post new topic' & therefore I don't know if ,when I press it ,I'll be directed to a new topic & have to start all over again or is it referring to the' posting' of the topic which I have already created- muddy waters

SEE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

http://www.google.ca/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=iso+file&meta=lr%3D&aq=6&oq=ISO

TO make mutiple copies of your p2e disc you will need to buy an authooring program

i use nero deluxe as my normal burning program

and or roxio 7 --on my system this program is the default to open iso files

possibly you should join a computer club and forget the pub till you become more experienced

ken

I want to burn several copies of a DVD video disc & retain a ready to use file for future copies-

I typically use PTE Video Builder to create only an ISO file. Then I use this free, open-source software to actually burn the DVDs. http://infrarecorder.org/ I do have Roxio Easy Media 8 software and have previously used it, but the free InfraRecorder program seems to be a lot easier to use and is more trouble-free. I then store the ISO file on a backup disk and can burn additional DVDs anytime I need to.

Hi Mary,

Everyone has their own way of doing things.

Wouldn't it be easier to keep a DVD Master copy and do a DVD copy from that in whatever software you like best? You are using a DVD to store an ISO file and can't really do anything with it.

I would use ROXIO for that as well as the ISO burning but anything will do.

DG

I typically use PTE Video Builder to create only an ISO file. Then I use this free, open-source software to actually burn the DVDs. http://infrarecorder.org/ I do have Roxio Easy Media 8 software and have previously used it, but the free InfraRecorder program seems to be a lot easier to use and is more trouble-free. I then store the ISO file on a backup disk and can burn additional DVDs anytime I need to.

If you are using Video Builder, why don't you burn your DVD from the ISO file using Video Builder? Or am I missing something here?

Limey

burn.doc

Guest Yachtsman1

I burn my DVD's using PTE & then copy from a master DVD using Cyberlink which was a free programme on my laptop. A one hour DVD takes around 65 minutes to burn then around 15 minutes per copy to copy. Cyberlink allows you to copy any number you wish. I usually copy 50 per master in two or three sessions.

Yachtsman1

If you are using Video Builder, why don't you burn your DVD from the ISO file using Video Builder? Or am I missing something here?

Limey

Duh! Because I never had found that menu option. I had always thought it might be easier to just burn the ISO from Video Builder but I never thought of looking in the dropdown menu. Thanks for that tip, Limey! You have saved me some time and steps!

Dave: I save only an .ISO file on my backup drive. Now, thanks to Limey, I have an even easier way to burn that ISO to an actual DVD if I need to in the future. Perhaps I am missing something as I don't know what you mean by a "DVD Master Copy".

"I then store the ISO file on a backup disk and can burn additional DVDs anytime I need to"

Apologies Mary, I read this as being a DVD rather than a USB drive etc. My main reason for using iso files is so that I can easily distinguish between a PTE problem and a DVD burning problem in the event of a failure.

"DVD Master Copy"

If you are doing a lot of copying, keep one DVD purely for copying from - as someone else has suggested it takes just a couple of minutes to copy a DVD.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

A Master is the original burned copy, and is used to make any additional copies needed of the same show. This cuts out having to repeat the burn process every time an extra copy is required. If you need an additional copy/s insert your master copy DVD disc & copy it to a new DVD disc.

Yachtsman1

If you are doing a lot of copying, keep one DVD purely for copying from - as someone else has suggested it takes just a couple of minutes to copy a DVD.

DG

I don't have time to experiment at the moment, but I can't imagine that it isn't significantly faster (for me at least) to simply burn the ISO file to a DVD. Since I have a single DVD drive, if I want to make a copy of a DVD, I assume that the process would be to insert my "Master DVD" into the DVD drive, copy the contents of the DVD onto my computer, remove the master and then insert a new DVD and then burn the files onto the new DVD. To make an additional copy from the ISO, now that I know the easy way to do it, I simply insert the new DVD, load PTE, select File\Burn ISO to DVD (now that I know how to easily do it), locate the xxx.ISO file on my hard drives or one of my backup drives, and burn to DVD. What could be easier?

Mary

using an authoring program

insert my "Master DVD" into the DVD drive

selct copy disk from menu

the authoring program starts the copying process

you select how many you want

press go

program copied the dvd

then ejects the "Master DVD"

and you place a blank dvd in drive

program does the required # of copies

when it is done it flushes out all remnants of the master disk from your hard drive

real quick simple process

ken

Mary

using an authoring program

insert my "Master DVD" into the DVD drive

selct copy disk from menu

the authoring program starts the copying process

you select how many you want

press go

program copied the dvd

ken

I guess to each his own, but it is totally unnecessary to copy the dvd if I already have the ISO file stored on a backup drive. With my method, it is a one step process.

(1) Locate the ISO file

(2) Burn it to DVD

For a 35 minute slideshow takes about 7 minutes to burn the ISO to DVD. I'm guessing it would take at least that much time to copy the contents of a "Master DVD" to temporary storage on my hard drive first before the new copies can be burned.

If I want to burn 6 copies, I can use Roxio or InfraRecord or some other "authoring" program to specify the number of copies and it will keep spitting them out as long as I feed in blank disks. I am aware of all that. I just personally prefer to keep all my backups in one place rather than having to sort through a box/file/whatever of DVDs to find the master. I have all of my backup drives cataloged and it's very easy to find an ISO file. I also keep all my DVD "labels" which I have created in the Epson CD program so when I have completed burning the DVDs, I can then print my labels directly on the DVDs and away I go.