WnSoft Forums

What is the best way to incorporate verticle images into Pictures to E

rick235

No two AV workers will agree on this subject! It is a matter of personal choice. The alternatives are:

1. Don't do it

Preferred by many because they feel that the change of image orientation disrupts the smooth flow of images.

2. Group them all together into a "mini-sequence" of their own and then transition into and out of that mini-sequence

Provided that the two edge point transitions are carefully handled, I find that this can work well. The ideal is to have the same subject in the horizontal-vertical pair and the same (but different) subject in the vertical-horizontal pair. In that way the subject itself helps to bridge across the orientation change.

3. Superimpose them at a slightly reduced size on a horizontal image, keeping them within the bounds of the horizontal image. This technique is sometimes called picture-in-picture. I find this works well using two verticals superimposed at the same time. This then allows you to change one vertical at a time. To get clear visual separation of the verticals from the horizontal you should consider using a dropped shadow and also consider blurring the background image.

Hope this helps. Basically, try all the options (and others that come to you) and then go with the one that you prefer.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

What I do on occassions is zoom in to fill the bounding box, pan to the top or bottom of the image, add a time point then pan to the top or bottom of the image. Make sure the pan is over 10 seconds or it will look naff. Another fancy method is to have multiple copies of the same image on the page at the same time, then slowly expand one of them to fill the bounding box. ;)

Yachtsman1

I am building a new African Wildlife AV show of images taken in 2009 in Kenya and would like to know what is the best way to incorporate vertical images into the show.

As Peter says there as many differing views on this as there are AV producers.

I tend to use Peter's #3 as well in most cases. (Although back in the "old days" I would never turn my film or digital camera on end as I always wanted landscape shots. I used to tell puzzled non-av photographers that the film or pixels would fall out of my camera if I turned it vertically :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

I use 1280x960 for my landscapes and I use 900x600 for my verticals. I superimpose the verticals on an out of focus version of the last landscape picture, run a number of verticals alternating left and right and then when I want to go back to landscape, I change the background to an out of focus version of the next upcoming landscape shot. To my eye that eases the transition a lot.

You might also want to look at this posting by Ed Overstreet a member of this forum. Ed's notes referred to here are on our Photo Club website, but I seem to recall that there was a PTE thread on this in the not too distant past.

Rick

There are many methods to achieve this. It depends on the subjects in the image or the style of AV you are making or the audience you intend for the show or many other considerations.

As others have said there is no one "best" method of doing this it is really up to you to decide.

Some ideas can be gained from how others have successfully achieved this.

You can use a Matt board effect, as an example see Barry's Cumbria AV from here--

http://www.beckhamdi...fdigslidesw.htm

Or the techniques used by Mark Allen here--

http://www.markallen...eries/mono2.exe

Or methods used in just 2 of many excellent French AVs here--

http://diapositif.ne...opic.php?t=2172

http://diapositif.ne...opic.php?t=2410

IMHO The most important consideration is to maintain the edge of your AV once it is established by the first image. Good luck.

**EDIT 1Hr later**

Upon checking I find my memory must be fading, (too much good Australian red wine perhaps), Barry Beckhams "Cumbria" no longer uses this technique even though the icon still shows it, (maybe it never did use this technique???).

However "Winter" on the same page does. Have a look at it Rick, sorry for the misleading information.

BTW Just noticed we share the same birthday, congratulations. LOL.

I am building a new African Wildlife AV show of images taken in 2009 in Kenya and would like to know what is the best way to incorporate vertical images into the show.

Another example of how to handle different sized, oriented pictures.

These are Olag Boritsch's images in a presentation produced by her husband a few years ago,

This show was on Beechbrook for a long time and one of the heavier downloaded shows at the time.

You will find the production here