WnSoft Forums

A new show

morturn

This show is part on a dissertation I am writing about the salmon fishermen of Severn Estuary. The theme of the dissertation is how our history is stored as memories within the landscape, its objects and the people who worked the river, and is the introduction to a talk and exhibition that I shall be holding at Gloucester Folk museum in June.

I am trying to capture the atmosphere of this very beautiful place, which indecently could be destroyed if the Severn barrage is built, however that is another story.

I do value your opinion here so your thoughts and comments (good or bad) are most welcome. Do bear in mind that I have to stand up in front of an audience and talk about a river, so I need to know if this does work look ok.

Click Here

This show is part on a dissertation I am writing about the salmon fishermen of Severn Estuary. The theme of the dissertation is how our history is stored as memories within the landscape, its objects and the people who worked the river, and is the introduction to a talk and exhibition that I shall be holding at Gloucester Folk museum in June.

I am trying to capture the atmosphere of this very beautiful place, which indecently could be destroyed if the Severn barrage is built, however that is another story.

I do value your opinion here so your thoughts and comments (good or bad) are most welcome. Do bear in mind that I have to stand up in front of an audience and talk about a river, so I need to know if this does work look ok.

Click Here

===================

morturn...

I'd give it an A+. It was very captivating. Music...perfect. Images...evocative. The only problem I had was that it ended so abruptly. I was wanting more. :)

Thanks... Gary

Added later... Ok...now tell use how you created the exe with the images having black boarders only on the top and bottom. It looked great, too, with the thin white trim.

Morturn

I found your AV full of wonderful images matched well with the moody music which created a very evocative and therefor successful show.

I am trying to capture the atmosphere of this very beautiful place
You have achieved you aim in my opinion.

The only suggestion I could make for improvement is to fade the last image to black at the end of the AV. As it is the end is a little to abrupt after the quite mood set by the AV. Also maybe cut 1-2 seconds off the last image of the pots (if that is what they are called).

Thanks for sharing.

Morturn,

I really like it. As it has been said above: While the music fades out, let the last image fade to black or even to the first one showing information on the author and the music. This is a (rare?) example where the transitions match the measure of the music :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Xaver

I liked it a lot. Great images and appropriate music. If I were sitting in an audience and saw this prior to a presentation, I would be quite impressed. I hope that your presentation is of equal quality. You're certainly setting up your audience to expect it to be.

Don

Guest Yachtsman1

This is the first show I've downloaded since the contoversial show that caused such mixed emotions.

It's our club's first AV show tomorrow & we have a simple score sheet with marks our of 5 for: 1 Picture quality. 2 Sound track. 3 Entertainment value.

So using that criteria I would score it 4. 4. & 3.

IMHO my reasons for the scores which are personal are as follows: For the pictures, personally I don't like borders and frames, I like to see a full screen, the size of the download related to the length of the show leads me to believe the picture files are quite large.

Soundtrack, I've only played it once but there seemed to be a slight gap in the middle? and an abrupt end.

Entertainment value, if I download a show I really like, I keep it, this doesn't fall into that category. The title slide confused me compared to the authors preamble, and the abrupt end left me in mid air.

Yachtsman1

Hi Morturn, fantastic images, music fit the show, and full-screen, with 1 pixel line border was right on.

However,(IMHO) show needs a black slide inserted at closing.

I don't know the circumstance of what you are trying to accomplish, since, I don't know what a barrage is.

Regardless, your show is great, and am sure your speech will be also.

Best regards, Gayland

Click Here

Hi Morturm

Very creative images enjoyed it a lot. Music was very suitable for the subject, just the correct length and held my attention. Was sorry it didn’t go on longer but it’s always best to leave the audience wanting more. The abrupt end was not for me, I feel a fade would be more suitable. However, it may be the correct way to end the show in that the abruptness will convey to your audience the possible sudden end of the fishing in the river.

Paul

Click Here

Dave

A beautiful, atmospheric show. My only criticism is that it ended rather abruptly rather than fading away but that is only my opinion. I asked my partner, who is a civil engineer and a Gloucestershire man and someone who knows the river well, to take a look. He was very impressed and said that it brought back lots of memories and incidentally (but as you say, another story), is very much against the barrage. He did ask if you had a photo of the Severn bore.

Good luck with your talk; the a/v should complement it well.

Maureen

Hi

Thanks you all for your very constructive comments, I have found them most helpful. As most of you have said, the ending is too abrupt, and suggests a fade to back. Agreed, I was not sure how I wanted to end this one, In view of its intended use, but I think a black fade, then start speaking would work well.

To answer a few questions raised by the members:

Goddi – the back border top and bottom was a mistake, I wanted a full screen with a white border so cropped my images to 1920x1080, then realised it should have been 1920x1200. As it will in the main be a projected show, I think it will be OK.

Robertg – A barrage is a dam, used for generating hydroelectric power. This country has been talking about building one across the Severn for years, it would destroy thousands of square miles of estuary and of course the unique Severn bore would disappear.

Lakelandlass – I do have some pictures of the Severn Bore, in fact Bore season is just starting, there is a big one due today, and next week, which I will be watching. More then happy to email you one or two, PM me with an email address.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment

Regards