WnSoft Forums

Incorrect display of Jpeg files

Boogie

I have a folder of Jpeg images that will display correctly when opened in Photoshop, Wdws Fax viewer, Irfanview, etc.

When I open the same folder (using the file view) in PTE v 6.0 (&ver 4.8), almost all the images are black and white and a bit stripey in appearance.

I tried reinstalling v6.0, with no improvement

I attach a Word doc file that shows the print screen view of the folder used.

Any advise would be appreciated

Boogie

ScreenPrint of Jpegs.doc

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Boogie

Can you post one of the dodgy images direct onto your next post, I will then be able to copy it into my PTE. Use the browse facility bottom left to attach your Jpeg.

Yachtsman1

Hi Boogie

Can you post one of the dodgy images direct onto your next post, I will then be able to copy it into my PTE. Use the browse facility bottom left to attach your Jpeg.

Yachtsman1

Thanks for very swift reply.

Attached 1 image that will not load correctly in PTE.

PS for Ken, Tried rename .JPG - no change, in fact all the orig images were .JPG

post-1294-126633391817_thumb.jpg

PS for Ken, Tried rename .JPG - no change, in fact all the orig images were .JPG

Boogie:

It is in CMYK colour space.

Guess PTE only likes RGB colour space. Change it to RGB and you should be OK

Attached version shows fine in PTE for me

post-239-126633447243_thumb.jpg

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Boogie

It wouldn't open from the thumbnail just sat there trying to load, however sounds like JRR has cracked it.

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Photoshop 7

Serif Photoplus 11

Irfanview v4.25

Boogie

I use E7 & you open the image, click mode, scroll to colour profile, remove what you have and add sRGB or RGB, bobs your uncle.

Yachtsman1

I use E7 & you open the image, click mode, scroll to colour profile, remove what you have and add sRGB or RGB, bobs your uncle.

Yachtsman1

Problem solved!!!!

Thanks for the method. I can now load the converted colour image into PTE.

As this seems be be a restriction on PTE image inputs, is this a solution that could be useful to future users and placed in FAQ's?

I will leave it to fh1805 to decide.

Thanks again for the prompt response

Boogie

Hi Boogie,

CMYK has quite a different gamut than RGB or sRGB and is primarily only used for printing by offset printers. By using Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black (K stands for "key" or black) printers can approximate the color spectrum but can't print nearly all the subtle colors in image created for display on devices which use primaries of Red, Blue and Green mixed with varying intensity of light.

Normally, one would not want to use CMYK unless the images were going to an offset print for a magazine, etc. The color spectrum is much better on any display if the images are in RGB or sRGB. The interesting thing is how you came to have your images saved in CMYK in the first place? Digital cameras never uses CMYK and output from scanners, etc., don't use it either. Generally CMYK is only used by printers who are preparing the files for offset printing and they have specialized conversion software to convert from RGB color space to CMYK.

It's interesting that this has, to my knowledge, never come up before but that's probably because its so rare to see this color space outside of the print business.

Best regards,

Lin

Problem solved!!!!

Thanks for the method. I can now load the converted colour image into PTE.

As this seems be be a restriction on PTE image inputs, is this a solution that could be useful to future users and placed in FAQ's?

I will leave it to fh1805 to decide.

Thanks again for the prompt response

Boogie

Is there not already an FAQ which states that the prefered colour space for PTE is sRGB (not RGB)?

DG

Dave

you are absolutely right it should sRGB as PTE is not a colour managed software.

I was in a bit of a hurry this morning and only looked at the PhotoShop terminology for the MODE. I should have caught myself and talked about sRGB as well.

Adobe RGB will work too, but the colours might not be quite the same as the maker saw them in PhotoShop (or other photo editing software all (?) of which should be colour managed)

sRGB has a smaller colour space than ADOBE RGB and is what non-coloured managed software best deals with..

I use sRGB for all my images as I only use my shots for AV or for sending over the web. If I am going to print something then I switch it to Adobe RGB

Ken:

I right clicked on the image and selected SAVE IMAGE AS, it downloaded to my desktop and I opened it in PhotoShop (CS3) and immediately checked the MODE under the IMAGE tab

Dave

you are absolutely right it should sRGB as PTE is not a colour managed software.

I was in a bit of a hurry this morning and only looked at the PhotoShop terminology for the MODE. I should have caught myself and talked about sRGB as well.

Adobe RGB will work too, but the colours might not be quite the same as the maker saw them in PhotoShop (or other photo editing software all (?) of which should be colour managed)

sRGB has a smaller colour space than ADOBE RGB and is what non-coloured managed software best deals with..

I use sRGB for all my images as I only use my shots for AV or for sending over the web. If I am going to print something then I switch it to Adobe RGB

Ken:

I right clicked on the image and selected SAVE IMAGE AS, it downloaded to my desktop and I opened it in PhotoShop (CS3) and immediately checked the MODE under the IMAGE tab

thks Jim

but we still did not solve why Boogie's TN would not open from the web page and yours would or did you expand/enlarge the TN?

ken

thks Jim

but we still did not solve why Boogie's TN would not open from the web page and yours would or did you expand/enlarge the TN?

ken

Ken:

I just realized I mis-spoke myself :rolleyes:

I clicked on the TN, it expanded within the forum page, I clicked on SAVE at bottom right of picture, it then opened as a new tab in FIREFOX.

THEN I right clicked and SAVE IMAGE AS and it downloaded to my desktop as an jpg image 643x427 pixels.

I tried doing what I think you tried (I have never done it this way) I dragged the thumbnail directly from the forum posting into PhotoShop. It popped open as .bmp file and stayed at 100x67 pixels (Thumbnail sized)

Ken & Guys,

Yes it will open with IE-6 or IE-7 on an Xp-Sp2 ~ simply RH.Click the Image and "Save As"

into any Folder. Double-Click it and it comes up as a small Thumbnail, Size: 100x67 pix.

Try that out Ken, it should work for you !

When first I clicked on the "attachment" it wouldn't open but it did after I saved it.

It's hard to know exactly why Win-Explorer wouldn't open it, perhaps it did not

recognise the CMYK Colour but the Image-Editor which opened it did !

Brian (Conflow)

...As this seems be be a restriction on PTE image inputs, is this a solution that could be useful to future users and placed in FAQ's? I will leave it to fh1805 to decide...

Sorry I'm a little late getting in on the action on this topic. Firstly, I confirm that I had no problems opening any of the attachments using Firefox browser. Secondly, as this is the first time in three years that this "problem" has been encountered I don't think that it qualifies as a Frequently Asked Question.

However, the PTE User Guide could be clearer. It currently reads: "PicturesToExe Deluxe supports different formats such as PNG, GIF, BMP and JPEG, which is the main for this program." And that is it. There is no mention of Colour mode; no mention of CYMK and no mention of sRGB. I will write to Igor and recommend a re-wording along the lines of:

PicturesToExe Deluxe supports the following image file formats: PNG, GIF, BMP and JPEG. Since the image files will be either displayed on a computer monitor or projected via a digital projector, the sRGB colour space should be used when preparing these image files. Correct results cannot be guaranteed using other colour spaces.

regards,

Peter