WnSoft Forums

9/11 New York 2001

Almark

The September 11 attacks (often referred to as September 11th or 9/11) were a series of coordinated suicide attacks by al-Qaeda upon the United States on September 11, 2001. The death toll of the attacks was 2,995, including the 19 hijackers. The overwhelming majority of casualties were civilians, including nationals of over 70 countries.

This short AV includes 200 photos of this awful event, and is work in progress. All feedback is most welcome.

PC exe download here

The September 11 attacks (often referred to as September 11th or 9/11) were a series of coordinated suicide attacks by al-Qaeda upon the United States on September 11, 2001. The death toll of the attacks was 2,995, including the 19 hijackers. The overwhelming majority of casualties were civilians, including nationals of over 70 countries.

This short AV includes 200 photos of this awful event, and is work in progress. All feedback is most welcome.

PC exe download here

The music fits, but the slides were much too fast.

It is supposed to be fast. Just a glimpse, 200 photos, wham bang. This was my intention, but if you think it is too quick, please let me know. I speeded up the soundtrack to make it all go quicker.

BTW, did anyone recognise the music? I speeded up the version from "28 Days Later", it is also used in "Kiss Ass" which is a much speeded up version!

Powerful. Emotional.

I think the speed of the images was very good. Quick, but painting a visual impression, it appears, was more your intent than showing each individual image. The dissonance in the music complemented the visuals well.

9/11 is a very emotional issue for those of us in the US. It is especially emotional for those of us who live near one of the three sites where deaths occurred. I live in the New York Metropolitan area, so I witnessed much of the mayhem up close. I could see the smoke coming from the towers and was prevented from coming home, as the bridges that I needed to cross to get from New York to my Connecticut home were closed. While I did not lose any family members in the event, I know people who did. My daughter worked just a little over a mile from the World Trade Center at that time. And, she took a subway that passed underneath those buildings at approximately the same time that they were hit. It was a scary time as my wife and I tried to break through the jammed cell phone channels trying to see if she was okay, which she was. Others were not that fortunate. Many don't realize that the US lost more people on 9/11 than we did at Pearl Harbor.

The threat of a future event is very real, as evidenced by the failed events of last weekend in Times Square and on Christmas Eve 2009 in Michigan.

Don

I am from Northern Ireland, so I know all about terrorist attacks and the emotive impact it has. I also visited NY just after 9/11 and was made most welcome, indeed everyone I met went out of their way to help us out. As a parent who has lost a child, I know that the 9/11 terrorist attack must have resulted in many parents suffering the same. And I suppose that is one reasons I have made this AV. It is still in first draft, and the first and last black pages needs text to set things in context. But At this time I don't really know what i want to say.

Mark,

Try zero transition time for slides.High frequency of different pics is not a problem.

Would recommend you Sync pics to music though for maximum delivery.

I would try a different sound track,as the music track you have selected, grows in intensity as it progresses,

but the visual side does not change.

PM sent.

Have fun trying out everybodys suggestions.

Davy

Mark,

Have fun trying out everybodys suggestions.

Davy

Thank you Mark for this (PTE) expression and reminder. It certainly ignites each viewer's personal memories of the tragedy. I think Davy has the right idea for any further work you may choose to do on it. Though I understand the comment about musical tension increasing vs. visual constancy - Your existing sequence/music may be very close to how the event itself came to us. The initial shock may have gone on and on without much variance, yet many of us found our emotions building to a climactic point.

Davy,

I will look at your suggestions. This is yet another example of my back to front or wrong way round approach. I heard the music in Kiss Ass and liked it but knew I had heard it before somewhere. Once I found it and listened to the slower version I knew I had to revisit my 9/11 project. What I am trying to get is the building of the emotional intensity using the images and music. BTW I have 8000 public domain images of 9/11, if you are interested.

I am not sure if you recall but the very first one I did had (suitably) 911 images which I played very very fast to the wonderful Chemical Brothers track called 'Saturation' - another building in intensity music track. I liked it but was completely alone, Bennett told me it made him feel sick and he closed his eyes. Others told me the music was simply awful and most inappropriate. Many recommended Barber's Adagio for strings. I kept the music, because I liked it, removed many photos and then went for a portrait approach, but before I could finish it some rascal stole my laptop and the setup files, I was still using ProShow in those early days. It is here if anyone is interested. It was never finished and I always regretted not being able to complete it.

And so to this new version. As I have 'only' used 200 images I have been able to place some order to the events using PTE's superb whiteboard or light box to shuffle the photos around.

Bob, I am sure there must be a way of working out just how long the music should be so that the images synce to the beat. beyond me, but not beyond DavyC ;-) who I am sure will help.

Mark, I think the music would be perfectly appropriate if you could find the "right" order for the pictures.

As I saw it, it seems the images are in a random order.

The other thing you could try is to change the display time of some choosen slides to give more impact (instead of the same time for all the slides).

Easier to say than to make. Good luck!

Hi Mark,

Have watched/listened to your AV a few times now.What threw me initially was the sound/images being out of sync and the transition chosen.

Staying with your soundtrack,I think things will work better if you change durations of slides to play in sync.

Music here is not metronomal and will have slight drifts/changes and pauses.

As The Dom suggests,you can target certain images to be highlighted by their persistance/duration during musical changes.

Different methods for putting things in sync,but it will take a bit of fine tuning to match perfectly.

Lots of different opinions and no right or wrong way to go.Just do what suits you best.

I did have a look on Youtube at some videos on 9/11.

I watched a powerful and disturbing documentary (about 71 minutes long)called '9/11 The falling man'.

Good luck with the AV.

Davy