WnSoft Forums

Resizing

Mike Reed

I have a sequence comprising some 150 images completed at 1024x768. I am due to show it elsewhere and have been requested to resize to 1500x1040. Is there a quick way to do this or do I have to resize each image. If I do that do I need to change any preferences in PTE to ensure that the EXE file then runs at 1500x1040.

The forums advice is always welcome

Mike Reed

Mike,

1500x1040 is a very odd size. It isn't any of the normal "standard" aspect ratios. The nearest fit would be a 15:10 aspect ratio (but even that is out by 40 pixels on the height). If you don't already know why they want the change making I would go back and seek clarification.

But Yachtsman1 is quite correct when he states that you would be best served by going back to your original image files (the ex-camera ones) and re-working them to the new size. There is a free image editor called IrfanView which has a batch re-sizing feature. Lin Evans recommended this software several years ago here on the forum. I got myself a copy on the strength of Lin's recommendation and have used it fairly frequently for batch re-sizing and batch re-naming. It's very straightforward to use.

regards,

Peter

Mike,

1500x1040 is a very odd size. It isn't any of the normal "standard" aspect ratios. The nearest fit would be a 15:10 aspect ratio (but even that is out by 40 pixels on the height). If you don't already know why they want the change making I would go back and seek clarification.

But Yachtsman1 is quite correct when he states that you would be best served by going back to your original image files (the ex-camera ones) and re-working them to the new size. There is a free image editor called IrfanView which has a batch re-sizing feature. Lin Evans recommended this software several years ago here on the forum. I got myself a copy on the strength of Lin's recommendation and have used it fairly frequently for batch re-sizing and batch re-naming. It's very straightforward to use.

regards,

Peter

Sorry guys not thinking straight this morning should have said that the required resolution was 1400x1050, Got my 4's and 5's mixd up. Guess it makes no difference to the answer.

Mike R

That's better!! So we're still talking 4:3 aspect ratio. I suspect that 1400x1050 is the native resolution of the digital projector being used. If so, I think I would leave well alone and let the PC/projector combination do any upsizing for you at playback time. But that is a very personal opinion.

I have had some of my 1024x768 sequences projected via various PC/projector combinations and the only time things looked seriously poor was when the sequence was being shown via a PC/projector pairing whose native resolution was full HD (1920 pixels wide)

regards,

Peter

Could I please follow up this thread by asking the following.

My situation is the reverse in that my monitor and therfore my input images are 1680 x 1050 ie 16:10. These sequences are also to be displayed on a 1400 x 1050 projector ie 4:3. My sequences contain several animations and suit the 16:10 format and it would also take some considerable time to rework the original images let alone the av's. I am aware that it is recommended to show full screen and 'fix size of slide in pixels' to keep the animation in place and prevent the aspect ratio of images changing.

My question is: Is it recommended that I fix size of slide to 1680 x 1050 (original image size) and allow downsizing of images by projection and will this project full screen images and retain all animations in the correct place or would it be recommended I keep the 16:10 aspect ratio but change the 'virtual size of slide' to 1400 x 875 (also 16:10) although using the original images sized 1680 x 1050? I am aware that there may be dark bands top and bottom of projected images due to not filling the height of the projected area. Am I getting confused and do both methods arrive at the same end result?

Thanks,

Brian

I have to agree with the comments about going back to the originals if you want to maximize quality.

But if you are stuck, here is an interesting option.

I use Idimager for my Photo library, and highly recommend it, but the author developed a free download called BDSIZER that does batch resizing quickly. It also can add watermarks, captions and frames etc which can to wonders to dressing up a presentation.

You will find it here...

http://www.idimager.com/downloads/freeware

And you may want to add the Frame designs if the idea appeals to you...

Hope this helps,

Dick

...My question is: Is it recommended that I fix size of slide to 1680 x 1050 (original image size) and allow downsizing of images by projection and will this project full screen images and retain all animations in the correct place or would it be recommended I keep the 16:10 aspect ratio but change the 'virtual size of slide' to 1400 x 875 (also 16:10) although using the original images sized 1680 x 1050?...

Brian,

You should be able to carry out a simple test by setting your PC monitor's resolution to 1400x1050 and then playing your sequence. I have had one of my HD sequences (1920x1080) played back via both a 1400x1050 projector and a 1024x768 projector and both played fine (with black bands top and bottom, of course). The sequence was very heavy with animation and all the elements lined up correctly. The objects were all in complex parent-child relationships but the top parent was independent of the slide's main image object.

I think you should be OK just leaving it to the playback PC/projector to sort out the downsizing.

regards,

Peter

Hi Mike,

One of the very best Re-sizers & Re-namers out there are the FastStone.org Utilities ~ been using them for years.

FastStone have a well deserved reputation on account that their conversion qualities are really excellent.

Here below are a few Screenshots and I might add that their "Resizer" will also resize to Video and You-Tube etc,etc.

To preserve your original Pictures you can load them into the 'Re-Namer' part of the Program and this will create a

'one-to-one copy' of your originals where after you can Re-name them as Img-001, 002, 003, etc. and use those for

your New-Slideshow and still preserve your originals.

Important:Make sure you read the 'Help-Files' before using the Program(s).

Screenshots show you what's available and contact details, hope this helps...

Brian (Conflow).

post-1416-127515122708_thumb.gif

post-1416-127515123606_thumb.gif

Ray,

Glad to help ~ by the way the FastStone Program will also 'resize' single Images as well as Batch-Resizing selected Groups

and it will re-size complete Photo-Folder even in Video & You-Tube Formats. The same goes for the FastStone 'Re-Namer.

Brian (Conflow)

Thanks to Peter for his reply and I too would also like to thank Brian (Conflow) for his information.

As each one of my PTE projects has it's own folder containing all the jpegs and pngs, soundtrack and PTE project it was a simple matter of copying the folder, so as not to destroy the original, and then load the complete file of jpeg and png images into Faststone. Having resized I launched the PTE project from the copied resized folder and job done. Quality appears ok and all animations in place. What I thought would be a major task completed in around 10 to 15 mins and that was for approx 210 images and a sequence with some amount of animation.

Regards

Brian

Isn't the simplest method here to just open up the original project file (assuming it is available) and make two shows with no changes at all bar one.

One show would be what is currently made, the second would be identical apart from the fixed size of slide box ticked.

On the night of the projection do a quick dummy run of the first 3 slides of each sequence and guage which works best.

The original one may be stretched a little and lose quality, but if it does use the fixed size of slide version and live with a slightly smaller image, or zoom the projector.

Barry & Ronnie,

Mike is using the VM-Fusion System on an Apple-Mac, ie:- VM-Fusion is a method of reproducing a Win-Program

on an Apple Mac PC. He wanted to retain his (original) Windows Photos but re-size them to run on Apple-Mac

for an Exhibition Show. Resizing Win Photos on a Mac is not a simple procedure, thus the request for a resizer.

Brian (Conflow)