WnSoft Forums

Big Black Box appears in discussions....? [SOLVED]

goddi

Igor,

The PTE Forum seems to be back to its normal quickness. However, the 'black box' or black overlay persists. I just upgraded Firefox to 3.6.6 but it did not make a difference. I also contacted the Invision Power tech people but they do not deal with 'users' like me, only 'clients' like you. But since it happens on their site too, I thought they might be interested. But no luck. I hope you can deal with them to figure out what is going on.

Sincerely,

Gary

=======================================

I'll ask the hoster move the forum to another server inside their data center.

Gary,

Before I write to Invision support, please could you perform several experiments?

Do you see this problem (black box):

1) in your Firefox after you logged out from our member account?

2) in Internet Explorer?

3) in Portable Firefox 3.6.x, please download it here and install to a new separate folder:

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

(It will *not* damage to your main installed Firefox. After the test, just delete this folder)

4) If the forum works fine in Portable Firefox, try to temporarily disable all 3rd party extensions installed in you main Firefox version, that way we'll find the reason of this conflict.

Thanks in advance,

Igor,

See responses below in bold.

If there are any other test to be made, please let me know.

Thanks... Gary

-------------------

Gary,

Before I write to Invision support, please could you perform several experiments?

Do you see this problem (black box):

1) in your Firefox after you logged out from our member account?

Yes, the black box shows up even though I am logged out of the member account.

2) in Internet Explorer?

No, the black box problem does not show up in IE.

3) in Portable Firefox 3.6.x, please download it here and install to a new separate folder:

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

(It will *not* damage to your main installed Firefox. After the test, just delete this folder)

I installed the Portable Firefox 3.6.6, but the problem still appeared.

4) If the forum works fine in Portable Firefox, try to temporarily disable all 3rd party extensions installed in you main Firefox version, that way we'll find the reason of this conflict.

I would try to temporarily disable '3rd party extensions' but I am not sure what they are. Are they the Tools/Add-on Extensions?

Thanks in advance,

Igor...

Success!!!!!!! Problem Solved!!!!!!

I went ahead and fiddled around with the Tools/Add-on extensions. I found out that when I disabled the "AutocompletePro 1.11' add-on, the problem disappeared!!!!!

I think it might be conflicting with the newer versions of Firefox and the Invision Power board software.

Thanks a million for pointing me in the right direction. It was driving me insane!!! Funny that it only seemed to affect the Invision Power board sites.

Sincerely, Gary

===================

Gary,

Thanks in advance,

Igor,

Isn't it great when a problem is solved!!!

I have already passed on the solution to the Invision tech people. They said "Thanks".

And a big Thanks to you for leading me to the solution!

Gary

===================

Gary,

I'm glad!

I just discovered same complaints for combination Firefox + AutocompletePro + Invision Forum from other users in Google.

Also this addon is not longer available on Mozilla website (https://addons.mozilla.org)

So we can write to Invision, but they may respond - the problem in the addon.

Igor and Gary,

Igor, everything is now working fine here in Dublin ~ all O.K ~ many thanks for your help.

Gary, you're problem with Firefox had me 'foxed' (Oops sorry for the pun) but in IE-6 and

IE-7 you can select 'Tools' then 'Internet-Options' now select the 'Advanced-Tab' then scroll

down the list and find "In-Line Autocomplete" ~ untick that.

By the way if you are using IE-6 this is now obselete and not supported by Google and you

will find that many modern Websites will display with errors.(Too complex for discussion here).

Brian (Conflow).

Brian...

I am using IE8. I checked and don't even have the Autocomplete in my IE8. Maybe that is why it did not show a similar problem. You never know what is lurking in the background that will eventually cause a problem. Igor came up with a good idea. The techs at Invision software didn't seem to care too much. I think they should have been more on the ball and wanted to look into it. They didn't even want to talk to me because I was not a 'client'. Everything seems to be back to 'normal' now!!!

Gary

==================

Igor and Gary,

Igor, everything is now working fine here in Dublin ~ all O.K ~ many thanks for your help.

Gary, you're problem with Firefox had me 'foxed' (Oops sorry for the pun) but in IE-6 and

IE-7 you can select 'Tools' then 'Internet-Options' now select the 'Advanced-Tab' then scroll

down the list and find "In-Line Autocomplete" ~ untick that.

By the way if you are using IE-6 this is now obselete and not supported by Google and you

will find that many modern Websites will display with errors.(Too complex for discussion here).

Brian (Conflow).

Gary,

AAAhhh I now see your problem ~ as you say IE-8 has no "Auto-complete" and that function is now relegated as a 'Browser Add-On'

which I personally think is an absolute invasion of personal privacy. I ditched Google-Chrome for the reason that it tries to take-away

my preferences of Browser functionality and having reverted to the previous version of Google and despite having "Auto-complete"

switched off Google keeps on inviting me to switch it on, and despite numerous searches I cant find it in the "Add-in Lists".

Firefox has the same basic functionlity as IE-8 and Google-Chrome is trying to emulate both (reviews explain that) and now you have

a conflict of interests,in other words the "dirty tricks department" of both vendors are vieing for your Browser Business as Microsoft

lost its (installed) Browser monopoly some time ago. (Act of Congress - Monopolies Committee).

You will need to choose one or the other and uninstall the unchosen -or- revert back to the good old Microsoft MSN Browser which is

alive and well and now called MSN-Explorer (V.9) suitable for Win-7 etc,etc.

Brian.

Ken,

AAAhhh, with reference to "Auto-complete" in IE-8 and the (unknown) power politics of Google

trying to 'swamp' Firefox is making me turn away from Google completely ~ its getting too big

for its boots and I am not the only one who thinks that way.

The very fact that Google regularily taps into this Forum is a matter of concern for many and

it begs the question ~ WHY ???

Brian.

Ken,

I appreciate what you say about 'updating' their Databases ~ but surely thats simply

a matter of directing a Web-search to the appropriate Web-site such as the PTE Forum.

Since my last Post above I have uninstalled Google from my PC's and gone over

to the new MSN-Explorer in particular the personalised version,viz:- 'My-MSN' its now

both my Homepage and Search-Page ~ you have to Log-in to get access to it and it

can be fully customised and its auto-updated by Microsoft as needed.

Results so far are amazing, its fast, its stable, no hang-ups and no timeouts and it

opens the Forum Mainpage in a flash. Thats what I wanted, no messing around and

no 3rd party (anomynous) interference.

This may be of benefit to others, time will tell....

Brian (Conflow).

Does nobody here run Opera? I use Opera almost exclusively, the only exceptions being when a site does not open properly, which is pretty rare these days.

Opera did have troubles that were not of its own making earlier, when its programmers insisted on sticking to the correct implementation of the various languages etc, at a time when Microsoft's own web page software - Frontpage etc - was just plain slack in its language implementation, and IE was equally slack in running the faulty code.

I persevered with Opera through this phase because I believed they were right, and these days it's rare to find a site that is not properly coded - but they still do exist.

Opera is now up to version 10.54, and well worth a trial IMO.

Colin